Windows 10: Removing File Explorer categories - How?

Discus and support Removing File Explorer categories - How? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do you get rid of these annoying categories in file explorer, I did it on one windows 10 Pro 20H2 installation but I'm building another and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bobhurd, Apr 10, 2021.

1. bobhurd Win User

Removing File Explorer categories - How?

How do you get rid of these annoying categories in file explorer, I did it on one windows 10 Pro 20H2 installation but I'm building another and I forgot how... see picture (the circled items):

Removing File Explorer categories - How? [​IMG]

:)

bobhurd, Apr 10, 2021
  2. c1sanford Win User

Locking the file explorer

After many failed attempts to disable the file explorer, automatic grouping of file names in alphabetical order suggested, the work around suggested fails miserably. Using the “group by” has been found to be completely incapable of working.
    The “group by” procedure found online is”
    1. Open the file explorer
    2. Navigate to the folder containing the files to be renamed.
    3. Click the view tab.
    4. Click the down arrow to access the “Group by” pull down menu.
    5. Clicking the “Date created” category or any other category except the “Name” category.
    6. Again click the down arrow to access the “Group by” pull down menu
    7. Click “None”
    After manually changing the “File name” and clicking “Enter”. The “File name” category once again automatically reorganizes the in alphabetical order. In effect Steps 1 thru 7 accomplishes nothing.
    Additionally, if I repeat the process in a folder containing nothing but “MP4 Video Files (VLC)” in the “Type” category” and run the “Group by” process it still continues to resort the names alphabetically. It then places a new blank Deltacad file into the Folder having files being renamed. It then launches and plays the changed video file with the VLC media player.

c1sanford, Apr 10, 2021
  3. corrywd Win User
    Cannot Remove File From File Explorers Recent Files List

I'm using Windows 10 and have always been able to remove files from the file explorer's recent files list. The file is listed as FileProvider and it is located in the ThisPC/downloads directory. Any other file is readily deleted from the list by the usual
    procedure. This file is not. Any suggestions?

THANKS

corrywd, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Removing File Explorer categories - How?

How to REPLACE Win 10 File Explorer

Sorry, but answering this one would REALLY end up in the rant category which according to someone above was not taken kindly to. And it would mean skating dangerously close to the limits of the politeness line, towards the designers of said contraption, no impoliteness towards forum members suggested or implied.

coffeetickle, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Removing File Explorer categories - How?

1. Removing File Explorer categories - How? - Similar Threads - Removing File Explorer

2. How to remove account stuck in files explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove account stuck in files explorer.: Hello, I have a problem. As you can see in the screenshots I have an account that's stuck in the windows and I can't get it out. I don't know the password because it is my ex-girlfriend's LOL and even though we still have good relations it would be really awkward to ask her...
  3. How to remove account stuck in files explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove account stuck in files explorer.: Hello, I have a problem. As you can see in the screenshots I have an account that's stuck in the windows and I can't get it out. I don't know the password because it is my ex-girlfriend's LOL and even though we still have good relations it would be really awkward to ask her...
  4. How do I move files to the favorites category in file explorer in windows 11 22n2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move files to the favorites category in file explorer in windows 11 22n2?: My understanding was that with the upgrade to the 22n2 version of Windows 11 the favorites section would be active in file explorer. I can not find any instructions as to how to move a file to this area. Can someone direct me to the location of this information....
  5. How do I move files to the favorites category in file explorer in windows 11 22n2?

How do I move files to the favorites category in file explorer in windows 11 22n2?: My understanding was that with the upgrade to the 22n2 version of Windows 11 the favorites section would be active in file explorer. I can not find any instructions as to how to move a file to this area. Can someone direct me to the location of this information....
  6. HOW TO REMOVE THIS PERMANENT CHECKBOX IN THE FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW TO REMOVE THIS PERMANENT CHECKBOX IN THE FILE EXPLORER: PLZ HELP ME!!!i have tried everything nothing works!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-this-permanent-checkbox-in-the-file/34d40c24-5928-498f-a622-d706c29dc1df
  7. HOW TO REMOVE THIS PERMANENT CHECKBOX IN THE FILE EXPLORER

HOW TO REMOVE THIS PERMANENT CHECKBOX IN THE FILE EXPLORER: PLZ HELP ME!!!i have tried everything nothing works!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-this-permanent-checkbox-in-the-file/34d40c24-5928-498f-a622-d706c29dc1df
  8. WHERE IS THE LIST OF CATEGORIES STORED IN FILE EXPLORER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WHERE IS THE LIST OF CATEGORIES STORED IN FILE EXPLORER: In OUTLOOK I can see a list of all the categories I have created which I attach to various emails.For example Broadband, Car, Credit Cards etc In the File Explorer property pane, if I type the letter B in the category field of a file, File explorer shows me a drop down list...
  9. Categories for File Explorer or the like

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Categories for File Explorer or the like: So I realize that File Explorer has been talked to death on here but I haven't been able to find any post relating to this and I'm hoping someone has an idea if it's possible or not. Because of my work, I tend to have alot of sub-folders upon sub-folders upon sub-folders,...
  10. How to remove bing from file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove bing from file explorer: This must be from a very recent update to Windows 10. In file explorer, the Locations field dropdown now contains "Quick Access" with the bing logo. If I type something, then it opens bing.com. How do I permanently remove any reference to or connection with bing?...