Windows 10: Removing files from OneDrive

Discus and support Removing files from OneDrive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I remove files from OneDrive without removing them from my computer? I don't have to have everything on my computer backed up to One Drive. How... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joan Van Winkle, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Removing files from OneDrive

How do I remove files from OneDrive without removing them from my computer? I don't have to have everything on my computer backed up to One Drive. How do I stop that from happening?

:)

Joan Van Winkle, Sep 18, 2019

2. Why were SMART Files Removed from OneDrive in Windows 10?

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

This article details why SMART files, also known as placeholder files, were removed from OneDrive in Windows 10.

Details

OneDrive has gone through many changes in Windows 10, most notably the removal of SMART files (placeholder files) from OneDrive. They still exist in Windows 8.1, however they were removed, hopefully temporarily, from OneDrive in Windows 10 because of the
    fragmented sync engines between OneDrive on Windows 7/Mac, OneDrive on Windows 8.1, and OneDrive for Business. The following article details what changes the OneDrive team made and why they made them:

Taking the Next Step in
    OneDrive

From a development point of view, it's a much better approach to consolidate their codebase, but from a user point of view, it's very frustrating.

Like many of us, if you want that feature back, please vote for it here on the OneDrive UserVoice page:

OneDrive UserVoice: "Sync online only" for Ondrive

Getting Started with OneDrive and Choosing Folders

To get started with OneDrive in Windows 10, please review these pages to familiarize yourself with the tools new processes:

Since you cannot choose which files are Available Online-only and Available Offline, you can choose the folders you want to sync. Review these two pages:

stanimal21, Sep 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 18, 2019
  4. stickie Win User

Removing files from OneDrive

Remove OneDrive

Hi .... wish to remove OneDrive from fresh install W10.....
    have uninstalled it from inside Control Panel but am unnerved to find a OneDrive folder lurking in my username folder, which contains some 10GB predominantly a clone of my Desktop ... please, please could someone provide the steps necessary to completely remove it ..... thanks in advance ..... Alan D Kerr

File sharing and storage made simple

stickie, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

Removing files from OneDrive

1. Removing files from OneDrive - Similar Threads - Removing files OneDrive

2. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  3. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer navigation pane: I had two versions of OneDrive, one personal and one professional each with different log in identities. I need to remove the professional one, which had at some point duplicated itself in the File Explorer navigation pane.I followed all the instructions found online related...
  4. Accidently removed onedrive folder from file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidently removed onedrive folder from file explorer: I removed it by the programs and features in control panel accidently. Is there a way to put it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-removed-onedrive-folder-from-file/88add16d-2742-427a-83c5-39404e77408b
  5. Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer

Can't remove old OneDrive from file explorer: I have two OneDrive directories that appear in my file explorer: my old school drive, and my personal drive. I would like to get rid of my school drive, but keep my personal drive. I can't sign out of my school drive because I haven't had access to my school account in years,...
  6. remove Onedrive files

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove Onedrive files: I've reset my laptop to be ready to give it away, but I had to log in to my MS account to complete the Windows install. Now my files on Onedrive are available on the laptop, even though I changed to a local sign-in. How do I get my Onedrive files off the laptop? I don't want...
  7. How to remove OneDrive from file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove OneDrive from file paths: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/remons_00 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6fgba/how_to_remove_onedrive_from_file_paths/
  8. Remove files from OneDrive?

Remove files from OneDrive?: Latest update to W10. I mistakenly put some files into OneDrive that I don't want in a cloud. When I tried to remove them, I got a notice that I'd also be removing them from my hard drive. Could have been that the files weren't fully loaded to the cloud at that time. Anyway,...
  9. How to remove OneDrive from file explorer path

How to remove OneDrive from file explorer path: I want to set up a folder to scan documents into and OneDrive keeps defaulting into my path. I do not want OneDrive in my path/ file destination.Please help. Thank you...
  10. Remove OneDrive from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove OneDrive from File Explorer: I had to reinstall Windows 10 recently. While I was copying my files to C:\users\[MyName] I discovered that Microsoft pushed the OneDrive service and linked automatically, messing everything with the 5GB limit. I unlinked OneDrive and later uninstalled from Windows. The...