Windows 10: Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

Discus and support Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM' in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by kraemerpw, Jul 13, 2022.

1. kraemerpw Win User

Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the following permissions will exist:Members of a Group called 'Artists' can read files from this folder but can do nothing elseMembers of a Group called 'ArtManagers' can copy files to this folder and can read files, but can do nothing else.Members of the 'Administrators' have full control can read, write, modify, delete,

:)

kraemerpw, Jul 13, 2022

2. Folder Permissions Remove System

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me answer your query on Windows 10.

Please be informed that you cannot remove the system entry, However you can add/remove permission for a particular user.

The Group or user name section lists all the accounts on the computer. If you want to prevent a user to accessing the folder, you may deny/remove all permission for that particular user.

The system account and the administrator account (Administrators group) have the same file privileges, but they have different functions. The system account is used by the operating system and by services that run under Windows.

I suggest you not to remove permissions for SYSTEM entry.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jul 13, 2022
  3. Try3 Win User
    Can I safely remove Administrators, Authenticated Users, System, Users

Make a system image then try it and see how it behaves.

Given that you are so safety conscious that you blocked out part of your computer name in your diagram, why are you even considering this extraordinary step? In other words, what benefit do you hope to gain?

If this is something about setting up a home network then I'd suggest, at most, sharing your C:\Users\YourUserName folder instead of the whole drive.

All the best,
    Denis

4. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

Removing errant files in the "System Volume Information" folder under Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I suggest you to first stop Volume Shadow Copy service and try to remove the files and check. Follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Stop Volume Shadow Copy service

• Press Windows logo Key + R key.

• Type services.msc.

• Search for Volume Shadow Copy service.

• Right click on it and select
      Stop.
    Now, take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

Step 2: File permissions.

• Right click on System volume Information folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Select the user name.
    • Click on Edit button.
    • Under permission to Authenticated user, check on full control.
    • Click on Apply and OK button.

Hope it helps. Do let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, get back to us. We will be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 13, 2022
Thema:

Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

1. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM' - Similar Threads - Removing folder permissions

2. I removed the permissions for the "Authenticated Users" group from my D: disk and I'm...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I removed the permissions for the "Authenticated Users" group from my D: disk and I'm...: That's it basically, I can still access from the PowerShell and open files, the admin and users groups still have permissions so I suppose there ls a conflict there.Basically... I just need help with the right command to set the permissions back to the Authenticated Users...
  3. I removed the permissions for the "Authenticated Users" group from my D: disk and I'm...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I removed the permissions for the "Authenticated Users" group from my D: disk and I'm...: That's it basically, I can still access from the PowerShell and open files, the admin and users groups still have permissions so I suppose there ls a conflict there.Basically... I just need help with the right command to set the permissions back to the Authenticated Users...
  4. Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...

Remove user permission for WindowsApps folder or respectively restore permission back to...: Just wanted to look something in the WindowsApps folder and changed the permission to me respectively the owner. Now I want to restore it to default owner the TrustedInstaller but I got many denial from changing it back. Cancelled the attempt, but now I have no more...
  5. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  6. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  7. Is it safe to remove Authenticated Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is it safe to remove Authenticated Users?: Greetings. Is it safe to delete authenticated users from system partition, and all other partitions? Always when I reinstall windows 10 on every partition will appear authenticated users, on system C: there are two of them. Normally when reinstalling i do clean install...
  8. Is it safe to remove Authenticated Users?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it safe to remove Authenticated Users?: Greetings. Is it safe to delete authenticated users from system partition, and all other partitions? Always when I reinstall windows 10 on every partition will appear authenticated users, on system C: there are two of them. Normally when reinstalling i do clean install...
  9. Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware?: I read an article that suggested that changing your permissions on your backup drive(s) to not allow "Modify" would prevent ransomware from encrypting the drive. It sounds sensible but does anyone know if it is a good path to go down? I am running Malwarebytes Beta...
  10. Remove the TrustedInstaller or Authenticated Users or System users fro

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove the TrustedInstaller or Authenticated Users or System users fro: Hi I have Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. From the Command Prompt, run as administrator, how should I do to remove any TrustedInstaller or Authenticated Users or System users from the ACLs of an entire directory structure also contains files and links (this must not...