Windows 10: Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup

Discus and support Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I am removing my Ubuntu from a dual-boot laptop PC and I am following this guide to do it:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KenLayug, Feb 15, 2020.

1. KenLayug Win User

Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup

Hi! I am removing my Ubuntu from a dual-boot laptop PC and I am following this guide to do it:

https://itsfoss.com/uninstall-ubuntu-linux-windows-dual-boot/

However, I am skeptical of the sixth step, saying:

Step 6:

In the command line, type the following command to fix the Windows boot loader: bootrec /fixmbr

The reason why I am skeptical of it is because my PC hasUEFI not legacy BIOS, and MBR is a component of legacy BIOS if I remember it correctly.

My question is: would this still work?

:)

KenLayug, Feb 15, 2020

2. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Hello.

I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case),
    where Ubuntu was stored. But, now whenever I boot my system, a black grub screen comes with the following message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

Upon writing 'exit', I am able to enter Windows.

1. I wish to know the reason behind it and how it can be removed.

2. I found this site, Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot, I went ahead and performed all the steps. But somehow
    ended up with this error.

Also, I saw your reply on this thread Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10.
    But it did not help me to remove my error. I will really appreciate your help in removing this error.

Thank you.

ShreyaShah7, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Issues upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10 on a dual boot laptop with Ubuntu

Hello George,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Yes, dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows is very sensitive in order of things.

Windows OS should be installed first, because its boot loader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive.

GRUB is the boot manager installed in Ubuntu by default. GRUB is an open source boot manager that install the main parts of the boot loaders inside Ubuntu. This means Ubuntu is independent and avoids any need for writing to other
    operating systems

So the best way to resolve this issue as rightly suggested in the initial post i.e.:
    remove the partition with Ubuntu and make Windows a primary, reinstall Ubuntu and Grub.

We regret the inconvenience caused on the applications that you will have to reload. Suggest you to back up of any important data present in Ubuntu before reinstalling it.

Get back to us if you require more clarity on the issue.

Darshan J, Feb 15, 2020
  4. APDW Win User

Well, another set of Windows 10 patches installed, another trashing of my GRUB dual boot System: UBUNTU GRUB FIX

Well, another set of Windows 10 patches installed, another trashing of my GRUB dual boot system, another evening spent repairing it. When is Microsoft going to stop their upgrades destroying dual boot systems?

I know Microsoft don't want anything on my PC except Windows, however you can't always get what you want! If you make me choose between Windows and UBUNTU, you lose!

ADVICE for anyone using Ubuntu in a dual boot system with Win10 on a x64 architecture as a WIN10 patch upgrade WILL wipe your GRUB boot system out.

1) have a UBUNTU boot disk handy. Always!

2) When a Windows upgrade destroys GRUB, use the UBUNTU boot disk and boot up into "Trial" mode (i.e. don't reinstall UBUNTU). You may need to re-order your boot sequence and also ensure that secure boot is DISABLED else this may not work. Booting from dvd
    takes time - be patient!

3) Ensure you are connected to the internet - you may need hard wired connection as wireless does not always come up in Trial mode

4) Open a terminal and download the GRUB repair program:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair" <CR>

"sudo apt-get update" <CR>

"sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair" <CR>

MB sudo doesn't need a password when you boot into "Trial" mode.

5) When the boot repair program comes up, find your way to the advanced tab aand select "grub installation / repair" option, and follow any instructions given

6) Remove UBUNTU boot disk and reboot to Windows, open a admin enabled terminal (not powershell) and enter:

"bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi" <CR>

you should get a "success" message

7) reboot, and the grub menu should appear. Enjoy!

This works on Ubuntu 14 and Ubuntu 16 LTS coupled with Win10.

regards

Alan

Thema:

1. Removing GRUB from a Windows and Ubuntu Dual-boot Setup - Similar Threads - Removing GRUB Ubuntu

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot: Hi, I resize and moved partition where my windows boot was. Now I am unable to boot windows. Please help. Also, I would like to know the technical details of what happens and why it does not work. Thanks a lot! submitted by /u/last_iteration [link] [comments]...
  5. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  6. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10: I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu. Selecting it has no...
  7. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  8. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  9. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...
  10. Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu

Cleaning up removal of Dual Boot with Ubuntu: I set up Ubuntu in dual boot with Win 10 and tried to replace it with Mint, which failed at installation. I then had a "grub rescue" prompt regardless of what I tried. I fixed the mbr by booting from Win 7 .iso and running Bootrec /fixmbr. I can now boot into Win 10...