Windows 10: Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

Discus and support Removing Hard Drive from device safely! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can't remove my hdd without formatting, It's always showing the device is currently in use. I've tried restarting windows explorer from task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AyanKoley, Mar 6, 2020.

1. AyanKoley Win User

Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

I can't remove my hdd without formatting, It's always showing the device is currently in use.

I've tried restarting windows explorer from task management, uninstalling/disabling the drive from device manager, restarting the system, but nothing works.

The hdd drive H isn't even showing in disk management.

Need a solution.

Removing Hard Drive from device safely! [​IMG]

:)

AyanKoley, Mar 6, 2020

2. Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Cannot Safely Remove External Drives

Open Device Manager, find "disk drives" and your "external drive" in the list of devices, uninstall the driver for your hard drive and then you can safely remove it. The device driver for your external drive "SHOULD" reinstall automatically next time you want to use the drive.

lopedoggie, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

smartcooky, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

1. Removing Hard Drive from device safely! - Similar Threads - Removing Hard Drive

2. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to safely remove my external hard-drive from USB Port.

Trying to safely remove my external hard-drive from USB Port.: After clicking on the UP ARROW on the task bar and then click on Remove Device, I get a response "Are you sure you want to remove device?" When I click on YES, I get another response: "Can't remove device while it's still in use." HELP, Now I'm lost with all this new...
  6. Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware'

Internal SATA hard drives show up as removable devices in 'Safely Remove Hardware': Hi, Issue; I've got two of my internal SATA hard drives (4 internal hard drive in total) showing as removeable drives in the 'safely remove hardware and eject media' tray icon list. I don't want to accidentally eject one of them so I would like them not to appear in the...
  7. Remove Internal Hard Drive From Safely Remove Hardware And Eject Media

Remove Internal Hard Drive From Safely Remove Hardware And Eject Media: I have an older computer, and have had trouble getting working SATA controller drivers for it, so I have had to revert the Marvell SATA/RAID driver back to Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver. Doing this has fixed my problems mostly, but now my internal hard drives show up...
  8. safely remove device

safely remove device: Hi I want to safely remove USB device. The icon is on the task bar but turned off in settings, how do I turn it on ? Thanks John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-device/995c6a92-c905-4d08-8d14-55e494f1810b
  9. Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?: In device manager I got several drivers with the same name. Are these duplicates and can I delete them leaving only one of course? Look at the screenshot. Circled in red you'll find the duplicates. 75252
  10. safe removal drive

safe removal drive: When I have inserted a SD memory card, I have the possibility for "ejecting" the card after which it can be safely removed. I donot understand why this possibility does not exist with an USB HDD. I thought that just removing such drive gives the chance of damaging it. 62174