Windows 10: Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

Discus and support Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Willabong Win User

Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

I have a laptop (HP notebook 8 gig ram) running Windows 10 as a slow ring insider. I want to remove the hard drive which is as slow as treacle and replace it with an SSD.
    This requires that I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD ..... My question is this: I have a USB stick with Windows 10 1909 which is bootable, I have used this on my Desktop PC so I know it works, do I need to get the Windows 10 serial number from the laptop before removing and replacing the hard drive so it can be entered on the new SSD install, or is that unnecessary?
    Any other advice would be welcome, thanks in advance.

:)

Willabong, Jan 6, 2020

2. replace hard drive with SSD

I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD?

tropicallime, Jan 6, 2020
  3. rs1946 Win User
    Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some
    non-trivial ways to recover a product ID from the BIOS, but I was wondering if it would be easier to create a Recovery disk on a USB flash drive and install from it after I replace the hard disk with the SSD. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

rs1946, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD?

1. Removing laptop hard drive and replacing with SSD? - Similar Threads - Removing laptop hard

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacement SSD drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    replacement SSD drive for laptop: My laptop cannot see my SSD drive so I assume it has failed, I am having trouble finding a replacement.The SSD drive installed in my laptop is an SK Hynix, I am attaching a photo of it.The is the only similar drive I have found and do not know if if it is...
  5. Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement: Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the laptop. When I check my drives using Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant, Disk 0 using Disk Management or Disk 1 using...
  6. Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD: Hello All I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question... I live in the United Kingdom. I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor 1.7GHz with 8GB RAM. The laptop originally ran Windows 8 but was updated to Windows 10 Home...
  7. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323
  10. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...