Windows 10: Removing old virtual switches

Discus and support Removing old virtual switches in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; This is so odd. Now I tested my network speeds on 2 computers and one VM, using a different tool. They all reported pretty much the same speeds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Apr 5, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Removing old virtual switches

How odd. My brain hurts now.

cereberus, Apr 23, 2018

2. HAHAH! And now when I touched the network configurations, I can't remote manage my VMs from another Hyper-V Manager anymore. Can't get it to work again....

slicendice, Apr 23, 2018
  3. cereberus Win User
    Somehow my Hyper-V got all tangled up and the default switch would not work anymore. I even installed a new vm, chose default switch - nope would not connect.

In the end, partly out of mild desperation as I did not want to restore a Macrium image and all my vms (separate), so I uninstalled Hyper-V, reinstalled it and then it came up with error message saying config error with switch. I added the default switch back to the VM, and it now worked. I guess it was Hyper-V that got corrupted in some way, as all my vms work now.

cereberus, Apr 24, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

As I can only use the default switch, I tried this and it worked fine. Do you know if the IP is dynamic or static?

cereberus, Apr 24, 2018
  5. LOL, my Default Switch, isn't connected to anything. Has been like this since two Windows upgrades ago. *Biggrin

I use a switch I have created myself, and it works like a charm. Only issue is that if I delete it and re-create it, the MAC address and device ID change, so all security settings gets reset and my VM can't be recognized as the same machine as before.

But at least I can decide, which physical adapter on the host it uses, if at all.

For advanced routing purposes, one can create a small Linux VM, with routing software (OpenWRT...etc.) and connect that to at least 2 switches, where the first one is connected to internet using preferred physical NIC and the other one is as a stand alone switch. Then Just configure your router VM to use the internet connected switch/NIC as a WAN port and the other switch/NIC as LAN/NIC. All other VMs then connect to Switch 2 and the Linux VM handles the NAT and routing. It is even possible to simulate a real router by adding more non internet connected switches to the router VM. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 24, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    I cannot rdp from my phone to vm.

I can from host on pc containing the vms.

The phone is on same subnet as the host pc.

Any ideas why not?

cereberus, Apr 24, 2018
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

might be a silly answer but did you check if the phone was on your Internet or were you on the phone's 4G system. If not on your home (local) internet and LAN then it won't work from the phone's 4G address.

I know you are experienced in this sort of stuff but even the most experienced people make mistakes with this type of stuff !! I've made really silly mistakes loads of times too !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

Yeah I have done that before - phone is on wifi. I can rdp to host but not the vm. I cannot see any obvious reason.

cereberus, Apr 25, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @cereberus

RDP needs port forwarding -- 3389? Not sure which one -- router needs to port forward RDP to the VM -- I think there is a way of selecting different ports for RDP or you might be able to do it via some sort of Putty / Tunnelling.

If you need to RDP to different machines then you AFAIK need to get the appropriate port(s) forwarded to the IP address on the LAN. I'd imagine you are using for your HOST DHCP so getting the IP address of the VM on the LAN might not be so easy - unless you are on your local HOST.

This might help though

Alternate listening port for remote desktop on Windows 10 Professional

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - I had pretty much guessed this. I am reluctant to setup port forwarding on my router anyway.

I actually discovered (rather to my surprise) I can rdp to host, and in host simultanesously rdp to vm i.e on phone it looks like I have RDPd direct. So in the end, I have a simple and low risk solution (I could always have used vmconnect instead anyway).

When it comes to Port forwarding, I prefer forwarding it from a decanter to my crystal glass*chuckle .

cereberus, Apr 25, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Nice one !!!!! over the yardarm of course.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2018
  12. Remoting into all my VMs from any computer or device in my internal network is working like a charm. My mobile even detects the device names automatically, so I don't have to type anything manually. *Smile

You must be having some configuration issues with your virtual switches...

UPDATE: Here's a shot from my mobile

Removing old virtual switches [​IMG]

Here's the actual VM in Hyper-V Manager:

slicendice, Apr 25, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

I only get these issues when using the default switch. With the normal external switches, all is fine as the vms are on the same subnet as the mobile and host. My problem is using external hosts kills my ISP download speed.

cereberus, Apr 25, 2018
  14. I C! Yeah, I don't use the default switch because it has been disconnected from everything since a few host upgrades ago.

I also had DL speed issues on host when using an external switch, but now all seems fine...

EDIT: Tested real life single file DL speed from a server near me. I got 40MB/s. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing old virtual switches - Similar Threads - Removing old virtual

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.: I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?...
  4. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.: I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?...
  5. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  6. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual desktop switch: Windows 10, laptop. Sometimes when I log onto my PC, the virtual desktop switches to the furthest on the right. I haven't seen anyone having the same problem, and it's bothering me. submitted by /u/grzesiu447 [link] [comments]...
  7. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  8. Not create Internel virtual switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not create Internel virtual switch: When I click on apply it doesn't create Jus show applying just applying......[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-create-internel-virtual-switch/f58e2230-7d5f-4bfe-a1d0-78533898b421
  9. not able to create virtual switch

not able to create virtual switch: creation of virtual switch seems to be proceeding but stops and I get a message similar to this: "Error applying virtual switch properties changes" Failed while adding virtual switch connections External ethernet adapter "'realtek pcie gbe' family is already bound to the...
  10. Virtual desktop switch

Virtual desktop switch: win+tab opens virtual desktop switch ... but by repeated press it again disappears instead of continuing to next desktop :/ do you know how to advance to next desktop ? by keyboard not by pointing cursor over 2nd desktop ??? (win+tab+1 .... did not worked) alt+tab -...