Windows 10: Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location

Discus and support Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want my documents, etc. to be saved to my Documents folder on my PC. I just installed Windows 10 on a new PC and I guess I picked the option to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael Jones TX, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location

I want my documents, etc. to be saved to my Documents folder on my PC. I just installed Windows 10 on a new PC and I guess I picked the option to have OneDrive manage my documents and sync them. I have WAY too many documents for that to be financially practical. I have other ways to keep my documents backed up so I don't rely on OneDrive. However after the install the default location of my documents is under OneDrive. For instance C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents vs c:\users\xxxx\Documents.

Is there a way to revert back to having my documents default to my users\xxxx\documents folder?

Right now that path just has a shortcut that takes me to the documents folder under OneDrive.

I found a few easy solutions on this forum but they were for older versions of OneDrive and those menu settings no longer exist.

:)

Michael Jones TX, Jul 15, 2020

2. removing onedrive from default file/folder location .

1. Click the OneDrive icon in your System Tray.
    2. Click the 'More' ellipsis at the bottom, then select 'Settings'
    3. Click the 'Auto Save' tab, then the 'Update Folders' button
    4. Turn off protection for all folders

This should restore the folders to their default location under your Profile folder. If not, use the 'Retore Default' button found on the
    Location tab of each folder's Properties dialog.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jul 15, 2020
  3. This PC leads to the OneDrive folder.

Hi Lance,

There are different factors as to why the default location of the documents and pictures folder on your computer is defaulting to OneDrive. One possible reason is that you setup OneDrive as the default save location of your files. For us to resolve your
    concern, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer and from the left-hand panel select the
      Documents
      folder from the list.
    • After selecting the Documents folder, right click on it and select
      properties from the list.
    • Select the Location tab, and click on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location 13fa8ffd-5e67-4c83-ace3-0aec740681c2.png
    • Select OK and if prompted to create a folder at the default location, click on
      Yes.
    • If you get a prompt to move all files from the old location to the new default location, click on
      Yes.

Once complete the folder properties windows will close by itself and folder should not be using the default location. Take note that these steps apply to the different folder in your computer.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location

OneDrive File/Folder location

I'm finding myself in a bit of a confused state about where the OneDrive folder should be. My original OneDrive folder was, by default, placed on my system drive under Desktop. I had 20GB+ of music to upload and the system drive didn't have the space to
    hold all of the files.

I asked if I could use another drive and was told yes and given an article to use as a guide.

I did as the article suggested, unlinking OneDrive and shutting it down while I prepped folders.

This I did... The new OneDrive folder was placed on my F: Drive and Called, once again, OneDrive. I then moved all my music into that folder and copied all other folders/files from the System\Desktop\OneDrive folder to f:\OneDrive. All went well, check and
    verified that I had everything, copied the original folder (Just in case) and ran OneDrive.

I signed in and when asked I said that I wanted to use a new location for OneDrive folder. I was then informed that the new location already had files, was I sure.... I clicked Accept (or something) and OneDrive took the new address with no problems.

I've done many updates/moves/deletions since then and except for a minor glitch in one folder everything seems ok

Now for the FUN part. I went to delete the old OneDrive folder from my system drive but before I did that I took a look and decided not to yet. When I use File Explorer to examine the old OneDrive folder the address bar shows a Cloud and then OneDrive. Double-clicking drops down
    a window that now reads F:|\OneDrive. It seems that windows is maintaining two sets of folders for OneDrive. One on my system drive (C:\) and one on F:\. Everything seems to be in both folders. At this time I'm not sure what to do.

All I can think of is unlink, shutdown OneDrive, do a restart and hook it all back up pointing to F:|

Any suggestions, please. Really don't want to start modifying folders/files till this resolved.

Thanks

TheOldPuterMan AKA OldManBurley

Sorry about posting here but was informed that the OneDrive forum is closed??

The Old Puter Man, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location

1. Removing OneDrive as the default file/folder location - Similar Threads - Removing OneDrive default

2. OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location: Over the past couple of months, when "save as" new versions of word and excel documents, the default folder is OneDrive not the existing folder where I opened the file. This creates version control issues and makes it harder for me to find files in the future. How can the...
  3. OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location: Over the past couple of months, when "save as" new versions of word and excel documents, the default folder is OneDrive not the existing folder where I opened the file. This creates version control issues and makes it harder for me to find files in the future. How can the...
  4. OneDrive: How to reset default location for the "Documents" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive: How to reset default location for the "Documents" folder: I used to back up my Documents to OneDrive. That changed the default location of the document's folder. After a while, I unlinked that OneDrive account, but the default folder location did not change. Unfortunately, I still have files in that folder, and I get the following...
  5. OneDrive: How to reset default location for the "Documents" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive: How to reset default location for the "Documents" folder: I used to back up my Documents to OneDrive. That changed the default location of the document's folder. After a while, I unlinked that OneDrive account, but the default folder location did not change. Unfortunately, I still have files in that folder, and I get the following...
  6. Fresh install and now OneDrive is the default file/folder location

Fresh install and now OneDrive is the default file/folder location: I just did a fresh install after some glitch I had. Now my problem is this: C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents, C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Pictures, etc. It used to be C:\users\xxxxx\Documents etc. I constantly change my default path for my work needs. But now I can't change...
  7. Fresh install and now OneDrive is the default file/folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh install and now OneDrive is the default file/folder location: I just did a fresh install after some glitch I had. Now my problem is this: C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents, C:\users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Pictures, etc. It used to be C:\users\xxxxx\Documents etc. I constantly change my default path for my work needs. But now I can't change...
  8. Fresh install and now OneDrive is the default file/folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. OneDrive Removal - Default Folders Problem

OneDrive Removal - Default Folders Problem: I have uninstalled OneDrive but find that the OneDrive folder / directory remains, under which there is the default folders for music, documents and pictures. I would like to ask if it is possible to remove the OneDrive folder completely, and if so what happens to all those...
  10. Onedrive folder locations

Onedrive folder locations: I have three separate folders for my OneDrive files in my File Explorer tree. The first folder is directly below the "Desktop" folder at the very top of the tree. The 2nd OneDrive folder is in my personal folder that has my name on it with the icon of a man for the folder....