Windows 10: Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

Discus and support Removing partitions on External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AnCh_52, Aug 24, 2020.

1. AnCh_52 Win User

Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk Management I see:

Disk 1

Basic

931.50GB

260MB

Healthy

EFI System Partition

New Volume E:

919.48 GB NTFS

Healthy Basic Data

Partition

Windows RE tools

980MB NTFS

Healthy Recovery

Partition

G:

10.80 GB NTFS

Healthy Basic Data

Partition

When I right-click on any of partitions it gives me only one option “Help” option.

Only “E:” drive I can manipulate.

How to make the only one partition?

* Moved from Mobile Devices

* OS's not specified

:)

AnCh_52, Aug 24, 2020

2. remove external hard drive partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition
    or volume.

You may follow the step below and check if it helps:

• Connect the external hard drive.

• Press Windows Key and click on Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click
      Shrink Volume.

• Follow the instructions

You may also refer to the steps below and check if it helps:

Open cmd with admin rights

1. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart

2. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.

3. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.

4. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

select disk 0

5. Finish by Enter key.

6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.

7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

select partition x

where x is the number recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.

Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Disclaimer: Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 24, 2020
  3. XandiShaw Win User
    remove external hard drive partitions

when I right click the partitions, 'help' pops up . I want to remove all the existing partitions and reformat an external hard drive, to use for storage

XandiShaw, Aug 24, 2020
  4. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

1. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Removing partitions External

2. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  3. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  4. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard drive Accidentally changed to Disk Partition: A day or go I got a pop up on my windows pc that asked me what I wanted to do with the storage on an external hard drive I was using. I clicked on an option that seemed to be the one where it would keep the hard drive as is but now it wont appear under devices and drives. It...
  6. External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?: [ATTACH] Edit: It was pulled from my mac computer. Im dumb. I'm using Windows 10. My ssd connected with a usb adapter shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer. Does anyone know why this happens? The partitions look like they are windows partitions...
  7. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  8. Removing partitions on external hard drives?

Removing partitions on external hard drives?: I have several laptop hard drives that I access on my desktop PC via a usb hub, I have managed to format them and they work perfectly. My problem is that 2 of these hard drives have 2 partitions which I have also formatted, but the partitions show up as separate drives in...
  9. How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?: I am new to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but hoping someone here can direct me or might know. I purchased a 1TB hard drive to place media files on it so that I could plug it into my DVD player which has a USB port. I made sure to...
  10. How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.: My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ? Our problem so far...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows xp unallocated disk space