Windows 10: Removing private info from Win10 computer

Discus and support Removing private info from Win10 computer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have bought a new computer and wish to sell the old one but I can't remove my name, email address and other private info from Win10. Removing some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by skipper6, Jan 20, 2021.

1. skipper6 Win User

Removing private info from Win10 computer

I have bought a new computer and wish to sell the old one but I can't remove my name, email address and other private info from Win10. Removing some details removes them from all of my copies of Windows including the new computer. I have removed the need for a password and all programmes but this is baffling me.

:)

skipper6, Jan 20, 2021

2. Why has Windows 10 slowed my computer so much?

If you upgraded to Win10 with MBAM installed, it's very possible that the OS upgrade messed up something with MBAM.
    (It was/is M$ "best practices" to temporarily uninstall your AV, AM and other security programs before upgrading to Win10, to minimize the chance of such corruption.)

Either way, for starters, I suggest a proper, clean MBAM reinstall.
    I suggest carefully following ALL of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.
    Pointers:
    • Please be sure you have your license info handy before you start
    • Please be sure to deactivate your account before you uninstall (dashboard > "my account" > "deactivate")
    • Please be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool
    • It's a good idea to reboot again after the reinstall

Please let us know if that resolves your issue.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Win10 1803: How to make mobile hotspot a private network?

I had hoped to summarize the process, but the answer at TinkerTry is rather convoluted, depending on the Windows 10 build you are using.

The answers vary from using the properties option in the connection indicator box to changing a setting for making the computer discoverable. Seven different build numbers are listed at the above link.

One version of the answer involves going to the homegroup dialog and changing the network to private. That's the one I use the most, as it's the easiest to reach with a few keystrokes. Type "homegroup" on the search bar and open the dialog. You don't have to activate homegroup, but it's the same location to set the network to private.

UPDATE/EDIT for version 1803 (additional information provided by OP)

From the linked site, which has pictures to make it slightly easier:

the fix is exactly the same in 1709, 1803, and 1809

Fix for Wi-Fi Network Connections
    Windows-10-Build-1709-Wireless-Fix-Step-1-and-Step-2-by-TinkerTry

1. left-click the tiny Wi-Fi network icon (beams icon) in your system tray at bottom-right, near your clock)
    2. left-click on Properties below the network item near the top of the menu, such as PAB's iPhone pictured in this example, use whatever your Wi-Fi network's name is, also known as the SSID.
    3. at the top, under Network profile, change from Public to Private

The search bar for Windows in general is the white box that appears when you click the start button, or in Win10 sometimes appears on the task bar. Based on your version number, the Homegroup option may not work, but it might. Why worry about trying that one, if the steps above are simple enough?

fred_dot_u, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Removing private info from Win10 computer - Similar Threads - Removing private info

2. Private info on news popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Private info on news popup: When I go to the left end of the taskbar a news popup comes up. One of the things on there is a picture of my driver's license. My wife gets it on her laptop also.Why is it there?Can others see it also? * Moved from Community Center* OS not specified...
  3. Removing saved info

in Browsers and Email
    Removing saved info: I emailed my college teacher using Outlook and his email address now shows in the saved info box in Microsoft Edge (Window 10 21H1). Only his email address has a icon with a blue clipboard? next to it. No other saved email addresses have this icon. How do I remove his email...
  4. Remove all info from computer that is being returned

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove all info from computer that is being returned: Hello, Just bought a new HP computer and when I was setting it up all information from my current computer was transferred to my new one without doing anything. I thought ok, no problem. however when I went to register it I was told I had 8 months left on my warranty. I...
  5. Security info was removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security info was removed: I have accidentally removed my security info for Microsoft account. I have tried several times to recover it but unsuccessfully. I have been repeating submit the form to recover and repeating the same questions asked but still cannot. Appreciate you can assist. Thank you....
  6. Remove a picture from 'Your Info'

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Remove a picture from 'Your Info': Does anyone know how to remove a picture you previously uploaded/selected but don't want anymore under 'Your Info'? The picture I'm talking about is the one you'll see during login. I thought I would change my normal picture to another one but then changed my mind. Now I...
  7. create a win10 local private network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create a win10 local private network: I have 3 win10 computers. I wish to have them on a private local network. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-win10-local-private-network/c1425957-1f51-4889-8cf8-9879cf32e0a2
  8. Giving Windows access to my private info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Giving Windows access to my private info: I received a message saying my gmail needed to be upgraded. When I started the process, I found out that I would be giving Windows access to all my info. whether I wanted to or not. Now I need to know how to advise them I will not do that. Or, do they already have access...
  9. Selling computer and need info removed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Selling computer and need info removed: Yes i am selling my gaming computer with windows 10 64 bit home and need to remove my login information completely so i can add a dummy account until they can add there information! How do i do that? 40603
  10. Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL?: Greetings. After reading this info from Microsoft, I'm unsure if my RETAIL Windows 10 Pro can be used next time I build a gamer-PC. I bought a Win8 Pro RETAIL when it was new, and this is the licens I have upgrated to Windows 10. This info from Microsoft explain how to...