Windows 10: Removing the primary User and adding another

Discus and support Removing the primary User and adding another in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I bought my wife a new notebook and I am configuring her previous system. I want to remove her User name and all associated data, and add my name as... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by PapaRuss80, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Removing the primary User and adding another

I bought my wife a new notebook and I am configuring her previous system. I want to remove her User name and all associated data, and add my name as the primary User. I cannot just do a rename, for that does not work. How do I do this properly?

:)

PapaRuss80, Mar 3, 2019

2. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Removing the primary User and adding another 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 3, 2019
  4. Louie Del Win User

Removing the primary User and adding another

Adding User Errors

Hi,

The error message that you’ve encountered can be caused by an invalid or corrupted registry keys. You may also get the same error when your computer shuts down
    unexpectedly. To learn more about your concern with adding a user, we’d like to ask the following questions:

• Are you also getting the error when you add a user?
    • Were there any changes or updates made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so for to resolve your concern?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool. This will scan and restore the corrupted system files on your device. Check this
    article
    for the steps.

We’ll wait for your response.

Louie Del, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

Removing the primary User and adding another

1. Removing the primary User and adding another - Similar Threads - Removing primary User

2. Unknown Primary User Shows on Log in Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown Primary User Shows on Log in Screen: I am not sure how to describe this issue. When my computer reboots, it tries to log into a user account that has the correct name but is not my account. My user account name is Mark. In the left lower corner it shows 3 possible users. Two uses are called Mark. the one with...
  3. Primary User Account - Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Primary User Account - Name: I have just bought a new PC with Windows 10. The primary user account is called 'Adrian' which appears on the welcome login screen. However in the C drive under 'Users' the folder with My Documents is called 'mail'. How can I change that?...
  4. Adding Authenticated Users to Another Group

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding Authenticated Users to Another Group: Hi, Need help in adding "Authenticated Users" group to group(Docker-Users) created by Application "Docker for Windows" through Powershell. Platform: Windows 10 Machine is in Domain. While trying to add, we needed to change Scope to Local Machine for Authenticated Users...
  5. Adding another hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding another hard disk: Hello, Planning to remove a hard disk from my old computer and install it as third disk in the new computer for data only. It has on it the crippled windows 10. Before using it I have to wipe it clean (partition, format), but first when I turn on the computer, will it affect...
  6. Adding new user account deletes several shortcuts from primary account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding new user account deletes several shortcuts from primary account: After creating a second administrater user account with an existing MS account, the new desktop starts with Dock display of short cuts including Edge, Trash etc. Could find no refference to this display. After I sign off from the new account, I signed in to my original...
  7. Remove Admin user and replace with another person

Remove Admin user and replace with another person: I installed Win10 on a new Dell laptop (not all Dells are shipping with 10 installed) for a friend and made the wrong person the administrator. His wife is not happy. *Sad How to I remove him completely as the admin and make her the administrator and only user? Thanks in...
  8. Added another account, then weirdness

Added another account, then weirdness: Have a 8.1 laptop that I added an existing W10 MS account to. The computer went thru gyrations similar to all the W10 installs, "HI" adding apps, configuring, etc and then made me verify who I am etc. The background I have on my W10 desktop machine now appears on the W8.1...
  9. Remove User

Remove User: I have tried everything thru control panel and settings to remove a user and I cannot. I bought my pc from a vendor who had it on display and added themselves as a user. Please help me. I cannot delete, copy or change the folder at all. There are no folders open and I have...
  10. change who is the primary user of the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    change who is the primary user of the computer: when you have 2+ users on the computer, it seems to boot the computer with either the oldest account, or (i assume this is the correct one) the highest level account (local admin > admin > standard) so if you're like me and have 2 account, an admin and a standard user, it'll...