Windows 10: Removing Unnecessary or Redundant Files

Discus and support Removing Unnecessary or Redundant Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know how to delete "temp", "%temp%", and "Prefetch" files using the Run box, and I believe there is another set of files that can be removed, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mr Ed, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mr Ed Win User

Removing Unnecessary or Redundant Files

I know how to delete "temp", "%temp%", and "Prefetch" files using the Run box, and I believe there is another set of files that can be removed, but I don't remember it. Anyone know the other one? Thanks.

:)

Mr Ed, Nov 1, 2018
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Nov 1, 2018
  3. Remove unnecessary language layout

If you add a secondary language to Windows 10 version 1803 that shares the same base language as the Windows display language, neither language can be removed.

For example: If English (United Kingdom) is the current Windows display language, and you then add English (India) to the Preferred languages list, afterwards neither English (United Kingdom) nor English (India) can be removed from the Preferred languages list.

Note: The most notable effect of having multiple related languages in the Preferred languages list is additional entries in the text input selector. You can remove unwanted language list entries using these steps:

1. From the Start menu, search for powershell.

2. Right-click Windows Powershell in the search results and choose Run as administrator.

3. Type or copy/paste the following command at the command prompt, and then press Enter.

Get-WinUserLanguageList

After typing this command, make note of the “LanguageTag” listed for the language you wish to remove, as you will need it in the next step.

4. Type or copy/paste each of the following commands at the command prompt, and then press Enter. In the following commands, instead of typing <languagecode>, replace it with the language tag you wish to remove, such as en-in for English (India).

$LangList = Get-WinUserLanguageList

$MarkedLang = $LangList | where LanguageTag -eq "<languagecode>"

$LangList.Remove($MarkedLang)

Set-WinUserLanguageList $LangList -Force

Andre Da Costa, Nov 1, 2018
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing Unnecessary or Redundant Files - Similar Threads - Removing Unnecessary Redundant

2. How to remove redundant bar/ribbon in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove redundant bar/ribbon in file explorer?: After an update this unnecessary bar suddenly appeared. How can it be removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-redundant-barribbon-in-file-explorer/ff97bbe0-a2f9-4c15-83ce-9426fc105dd2
  3. How to remove redundant bar/ribbon in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove redundant bar/ribbon in file explorer?: After an update this unnecessary bar suddenly appeared. How can it be removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-redundant-barribbon-in-file-explorer/ff97bbe0-a2f9-4c15-83ce-9426fc105dd2
  4. How to remove unnecessary language layouts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove unnecessary language layouts?: How to remove unnecessary language layouts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-unnecessary-language-layouts/b6a59c09-4fee-4520-9db4-69d4e2e2e7b7
  5. How to remove unnecessary language layouts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove unnecessary language layouts?: How to remove unnecessary language layouts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-unnecessary-language-layouts/b6a59c09-4fee-4520-9db4-69d4e2e2e7b7
  6. How to remove unnecessary language layouts?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Redundant input methods are impossible to remove

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Redundant input methods are impossible to remove: Hello,I just set up a new machine running Windows 11. I use multiple languages and input methods. The machine has a Swiss French keyboard and I use 4 languages ENG [Europe], FRA, ITA, ESP. For ENG and FRA, I use the Swiss French QWERTZ keyboard. For ITA, Italian QWERTY, and...
  8. "unnecessary files"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "unnecessary files"?: Hello Everyone: Today I do " Disk Cleanup". It processed very slow, it seems that there are too many file to clean. Later, the window said: The Disk Cleanup utility is cleaning unnecessary files on your machine....
  9. Can't remove unnecessary keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't remove unnecessary keyboard layout: He screenshot of my keyboard layout https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoHobQYmOKNGoJYuAJf4LiBFaEmB0g Control panel settings do not provide a tool for removing "English Canada". How to remove it? Windows 10 Pro 2004. Thanks....
  10. unnecessary and junk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unnecessary and junk files: Please tell me how I to clean unnecessary junk files and software from pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unnecessary-and-junk-files/8d39523d-ac2b-4416-a065-6eb50e896532"