Windows 10: Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu

Discus and support Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I removed the Windows Apps (3D Builder, Groovy etc.) using PowerShell and Remove-AppxPackage / Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage on our Windows 10 machines... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by customizer, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu

I removed the Windows Apps (3D Builder, Groovy etc.) using PowerShell and Remove-AppxPackage / Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage on our Windows 10 machines (64bit, some Home, some Pro) at home.

This worked satisfying enough, but for some (very few) local users the start menu entries for those apps are not removed. I refer to "All Apps" (the A-Z list of all apps).

Situation is like this:
    • application is removed (checked with Get-Appxpackage in Powershell)
    • start menu still refers to the Windows Apps with the text entry; it does not show the icon, but a coloured rectangle (sized like an icon)
    • application cannot be started through this icon (as it is uninstalled)

Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu [​IMG]

(Screenshot shows the Maps (german: Karten) and Contacts (german: Kontakte) "icons")

I checked the usual places:
    • C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    but of course there are no links to those Windows Apps.

Does anybody have a hint how to remove these orphan "icons" from the start menu (A-Z list)?
    What makes Windows show those entries in the start menu's A-Z list?

Thanks for any hint.
    Mario

:)

customizer, Nov 29, 2015

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Nov 29, 2015
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Nov 29, 2015
  4. shimshom Win User

Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu

shimshom, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Thank you shimshom, I read that thread last night. Honestly, it sounded a bit different (icon pictures still displayed whereas they are gone with me), and AcuraTML's solution sounded a bit complicated (take e.g. your comments ... "completely broken" ... "slows down considerably"). Hoped for an alternative solution. Maybe I'll go for lx07's solution from that thread.

So according to the other thread, A-Z list in start menu is maintained then in AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\vedatamodel.edb, right?

customizer, Nov 29, 2015
  6. shimshom Win User
    Apologies for slow answer was very late here. Yes it maintains the list in AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\vedatamodel.edb and I found it much easier to achieve booting into a live Windows CD or USB of any flavor which in my case was XP to rename vedatamodel.edb to vedatamodel.edb.temp and when rebooting back to Win 10 doing the rest of the steps mentioned in my post #8 concerning permissions and sfc /scannow. You might need to reboot a couple of times to ensure full recovery of the start menu

shimshom, Nov 29, 2015
  7. Hi shimshom,

sorry for bothering again, really appreciating your responses!

Usually I like to understand what's happening in the background *Wink, so let me put two more questions before I proceed:

• While I understand the icacls command in lx07's comment 04 of the other thread (User A copied filed from profile B into profile C, so let's make sure the files belong to C again), I'd also like to understand why in your (and AcuraTML's) solution it is necessary to grant permissions on the "Local Disk (C)/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs" folder.
      From my previous understanding (Win7-based) this is the "inherited" part of the startmenu.
      Just tried with Windows 10 - added a link to that Programs folder (using admin permissions), and (as expected) it immediately appeared in the start menu's A-Z list of a regular user and can be started.
      Can you give me a hint for what you needed that permission change?
    • I assume the "sfc /scannow" will rebuild vedatamodel.edb

Regards,
    Mario

customizer, Nov 30, 2015
  8. shimshom Win User

Hi Mario no problem asking questions as that's how we learn more. You need to grant the permissions to fix or repair the permission or access errors if you get any and ensure the Start menu is rebuilt correctly and it's easy to remove any entries from the All Apps list later. The sfc command is to ensure your files are in good order and to rebuild the vedatamodel.edb. I did find it easier and quicker to just boot with a live Windows DVD/USB as it negates the need of using Unlocker or creating extra accounts. Make sure you take a system image before proceeding just in case

shimshom, Dec 1, 2015
  9. After thinking back and forth, went for lx07's solution from the other thread in the meantime.

Seems he missed some AppData\Local in the given paths, but it went smoothly otherwise.

Therefore adding a corrected version here of one alternative to heal start menu of user C:

• Create two new Admin accounts (A and B)
      (Actually, you need two accounts being different from the account C to be repaired. You can use existing accounts for this given A's start menu is "correct" and B has admin permissions)
    • Log-on and off from A (to populate its start menu)
    • Log-on to B
    • Copy some of A's folders into C's account:
      Code: xcopy /herky "C:\Users\<user A>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database" "C:\Users\<user C>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\"[/quote]
    • Change access rights for just copied files:
      Code: icacls "C:\Users\<user C>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\<user C>"Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu :(F) /t[/quote]
    • Log-off from B
    • Reboot
    • Log-on to C, start menu is complete again
    • Remove accounts A and B
      (If you used existing accounts in step 1 of course you shouldn't remove them ...)

There were two small strange things:

• At first I left out Step 7. Start Menu was fine and entries were working, but when anything was typed into the search field and a start menu entry was displayed as a search result, left-clicking did not have any effect (program was not started) and right-clicking only showed "Attach to start menu". This problem went away after a reboot. (Maybe Windows had to do some background work, maybe it would have healed itself even without reboot)
    • Entries I previously added to user's start menu in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ were still in that directory but did not appear in the start menu of the user for which I did the modifications. I had to manually move those few folders to another directory, and move them back. Then Windows' database for this user's start menu was perfect again (I guess Windows seems to have some trigger on files/folders being added to that directory).

customizer, Dec 2, 2015
  10. shimshom Win User
    Glad it worked and it does seem to resolve itself after a few reboots and I still hold that Win 10 was written by an alien monkey

shimshom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Removing Windows Apps sometimes leaves orphan "icons" in the startmenu - Similar Threads - Removing Apps sometimes

2. Icons not showing in startmenu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons not showing in startmenu: Like title, some icons aren't showing in the start menu, I've tried following a few guides that suggest deleting "IconCache.db" however this simply doesn't exist on my computer, I've also tried following the guide below but to no...
  3. Icons not showing in startmenu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons not showing in startmenu: Like title, some icons aren't showing in the start menu, I've tried following a few guides that suggest deleting "IconCache.db" however this simply doesn't exist on my computer, I've also tried following the guide below but to no...
  4. Icons not showing in startmenu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. StartMenu some of the icons are not appearing, but in...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    StartMenu some of the icons are not appearing, but in...: Hello Folks, Some of icons from Start Menu are not appearing, But it shows in %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\programs. Don't knw what's wrong with Windows 1909 version. submitted by /u/dick58 [link] [comments]...
  6. What is this icon in my startmenu?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What is this icon in my startmenu?: I recently upgraded from version 1909 to 2004 on my laptop and I opened the start menu and saw this. [ATTACH] What is this program and how can I uninstall it? Every time I try to do it the normal way it says it was unable to uninstall. Thanks Matt...
  7. is there a way to find & remove orphaned files in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is there a way to find & remove orphaned files in windows 10?: is there a way to find & remove orphaned files in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-find-remove-orphaned-files-in/380d71fc-b9a3-4e9c-a099-a2ed8a5e8a06
  8. How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?: is it possible? or does Anyone knows how i change those Icons there? (marked RED).. I want to change them systemwide not one by one.. if that is possible, like changing the ICO in the DLLs for example, but i couldnt find this ICO in any of those DLLs.. Anyone knows wich ico...
  9. Repair icons in the StartMenu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Repair icons in the StartMenu?: I disconnected my D: unit, and reconnect more later, and all programs installed in D: lost their icon in the start menu. Any fix? https://imgur.com/VTkIIuQ submitted by /u/FSFRS [link] [comments]...
  10. Orphaned duplicate icons in Control Panel, random apps hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Orphaned duplicate icons in Control Panel, random apps hang: Friends, I have orphaned icons in my Windows 10 Control Panel (see Below). Additionally, I have some apps like "camera" "HP smart""MS News""photos" are greyed out as they do when updating. I cannot uninstall them or reinstall a new copy over them. On top of this, I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. orphan office icon in start menu