Windows 10: Removing Windows from an old hard drive

Discus and support Removing Windows from an old hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lwsmiser, Feb 7, 2020.

1. lwsmiser Win User

Removing Windows from an old hard drive

How do I remove Windows from an old hard drive without reformatting it?

:)

lwsmiser, Feb 7, 2020
  2. little cat, Feb 7, 2020
  3. dhdude Win User
    Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Removing Windows from an old hard drive :)

dhdude, Feb 7, 2020
  4. GKing Win User

Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Removing Windows from an old hard drive - Similar Threads - Removing old hard

2. Remove hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove hard drive: I have a laptop that Im giving away. The person Im giving it to had an SSD drive to install in it. Its Windows 10 If I remove the drive will my documents be able to be read an another laptop. ? Im aiming to use it as a storage drive. 173925
  3. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive: Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD...
  4. Deleting system files from an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting system files from an old hard drive: I followed this script: " OK, open a Command Prompt window as Administrator Windows + X keys together and then select Command Prompt Admin from the resulting menu Run each of these commands and press enter after each one, this will remove the old Program Files Folder...
  5. How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive

How to remove Windows system files from old hard drive: I bought a new PC that has Windows 10 pre-installed. I'm using the old 1TB drive from the previous system as a data drive. Let's call it the D: drive. The D: drive used to be the boot drive and has lots of Windows system files on it that I want to delete to free up space....
  6. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  7. Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

Removing Hard Drive from device safely!: I can't remove my hdd without formatting, It's always showing the device is currently in use. I've tried restarting windows explorer from task management, uninstalling/disabling the drive from device manager, restarting the system, but nothing works. The hdd drive H isn't...
  8. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  9. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  10. Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive

Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive: Just this evening I found the external hard drive used with our last PC. I have not connected it to our current PC in fear of making some dreadful mistake. My goal is to retrieve all jpg image files from that old drive. Note, I use File History to save files from our current...