Windows 10: Removing Windows.old files

Discus and support Removing Windows.old files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a minor crash of Windows 10 and had to use a disk to restore everything. However that created 4 Windows.old files. My question is " How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DLF_IN, Jun 26, 2019.

1. DLF_IN Win User

Removing Windows.old files

I had a minor crash of Windows 10 and had to use a disk to restore everything. However that created 4 Windows.old files. My question is " How do I remove those files?"

David

:)

DLF_IN, Jun 26, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Removing Windows.old files - Similar Threads - Removing old files

2. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive: About a month ago old jpgs and pdfs, that I transferred to a different folder, have reappeared into my folders in one drive. To give more info. I save images and pdf's and transfer them to the photo teams folders at work. I came to work and saw that thousands of old photos...
  3. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive: About a month ago old jpgs and pdfs, that I transferred to a different folder, have reappeared into my folders in one drive. To give more info. I save images and pdf's and transfer them to the photo teams folders at work. I came to work and saw that thousands of old photos...
  4. Old/Removed Files reappearing into OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing old files from old HDD (including Windows files, Program Files and Program Files...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing old files from old HDD (including Windows files, Program Files and Program Files...: I recently migrated my Windows OS from my old HDD to my new SSD. However, there are still leftover files and folders in the old HDD, mainly from third-party applications in Program Files and Program Files (x86), as well as Windows files. I am looking to free up the spaces...
  6. Old files will not be removed.

Old files will not be removed.: I am using Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop computer.I have found a whole load of files on my Hard Drive pic 1 that i thought was deleted a long time ago, when i deleted the software.They, or it Legacy Games, are not listed on my installed program list, so i cannot delete them that...
  7. Removing old Windows files

Removing old Windows files: Hi, I'm trying to delete some old Windows files. I installed Windows on a new disc and I can't delete the old Windows files. I'm trying to give myself ownership and giving myself full control. But even after I have done that the system says I need to get permission from...
  8. Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation

Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation: I have followed a few threads on manual removal of the Windows.old folder after automatic methods do not work, and none that I have seen has addressed the particular version of the problem I am seeing, which is that there appears to be a hard link embedded in this folder,...
  9. Removing old files

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing old files: I have clone a drive to an SSD Drive, how can I remove the Windows files from the old drive without formatting it. 47829
  10. Can't remove Old windows file

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't remove Old windows file: Hey guys.. I'm using core-i5 6200 6th Gen laptop with windows 10. My windows was creating some problems so I had to reset Windows. Now I can't delete windows.Old file. I have tried disk clean up method but it has left some files and are unremovable. By deleting it says you...