Windows 10: Rename Admin User name in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename Admin User name in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I have a windows 10 laptop for about one and a half years now. I use it a lot for programming, which means I need to install a few staff to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kostis1101, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Rename Admin User name in Windows 10

Hello!

I have a windows 10 laptop for about one and a half years now. I use it a lot for programming, which means I need to install a few staff to help me with development ex. libraries, frameworks. Recently I started developing android apps and everything worked fine until I run into some issues. It gave me an error that the system couldn't open a directory, although the directory was valid.

The path:

C:\Users\IT\source\repos\MyFirstMobileApp\MyFirstMobileApp\MyFirstMobileApp.Android\obj\Debug\90\lp\17\jl\res

^

After a quick google search, I found out that non-Unicode characters in the path may cause problems. It turns out that the name of the user ΙΤ is written in Greek characters, which for some reason causes problems with the programme I am using. I tried renaming the folder "C:\Users\ΙΤ" directly and via cmd as administrator, but I wasn't able to do so. I also tried changing the "ProfileImagePath" value from the registry editor or changing the user name from netplwiz, but still nothing.

Also, under the "C:\Users" directory there are in total 3 other subfolders:

• "Kostis"
    • "Public"
    • "ΙΤ"

I can easily rename the "Kostis" directory, but I can't do the same with the other two. Is there a way to change the name of the "ΙΤ" folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

:)

Kostis1101, Mar 5, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Ryan_2013 Win User

Rename Admin User name in Windows 10

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Rename Admin User name in Windows 10

1. Rename Admin User name in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename Admin User

2. admin user name and password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    admin user name and password: When I receive a notice that there is a newer version of one of my browsers and I try to have it downloaded I am asked for an admin user name and password. Is there a way I can find out this information?...
  3. ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Customization
    ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD: Please help Me with this, i cant access some downloads and changes. it will always direct me into this.USER ACCOUNT CONTROLDo you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ?USER ACCOUNTS CONTROL PANELVerified publisher: Microsoft WindowsCLSID:...
  4. ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD: Please help Me with this, i cant access some downloads and changes. it will always direct me into this.USER ACCOUNT CONTROLDo you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ?USER ACCOUNTS CONTROL PANELVerified publisher: Microsoft WindowsCLSID:...
  5. ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10

Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10: How do i rename the User directory name in Windows 10. This was truncated during the installation process.... thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-the-user-directory-name-in-windows-10/8c8e3ec0-8083-40a4-b24b-756c46259fc8
  7. Rename C:/Users/<name>

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename C:/Users/<name>: How do I rename the above specified directory? I changed it through registry editor but after that my start menu failed and I've reset my PC. Please help me out with this submitted by /u/HarishRaj21 [link] [comments]...
  8. change admin user name

change admin user name: how do i change my admin user name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-admin-user-name/885ba043-3624-4cd3-a6ce-ca4611f14424
  9. admin user name and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    admin user name and password: For my new Epson printer installation I need the admin user name and password. Where is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-user-name-and-password/9ba56dfd-a552-4441-80f5-d36eebcd60c4"
  10. How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to rename admin user name folder for Documents, Pictures, etc.: How do I correct the User Name folder after switching from a Microsoft Account to a Local Account on a new PC. I was able to set up a new admin user however, when reviewing the folder name for my documents, pictures, etc., it reflects an abbreviated form for my former...