Windows 10: "rename" command in Command Prompt

Discus and support "rename" command in Command Prompt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Never thought I'd have another DOS question, but ... never say never, I guess. So I have a folder with sub-folders named with the dates of all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David P. Vancouver, Apr 7, 2019.

1. "rename" command in Command Prompt

Never thought I'd have another DOS question, but ... never say never, I guess. So I have a folder with sub-folders named with the dates of all the weekdays in April, in the format 2019-04-xx_. I want to change the names to May, i.e. replace "04" with "05". I opened a command prompt, navigated to the folder, verified the sub-folder names with "dir", and issued this command:

ren 2019-04* 2019-05*

and I get the error message:

The syntax of the command is incorrect.

ren /? gives the response:

"Renames a file or files.

RENAME [drive:][path]filename1 filename2.
    REN [drive:][path]filename1 filename2.

Note that you cannot specify a new drive or path for your destination file. "

What am I doing wrong?

:)

David P. Vancouver, Apr 7, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Apr 7, 2019
  3. cwtech Win User

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Caring1 Win User

"rename" command in Command Prompt

Command prompt is only accessible from the Administrative Profile, this is to prevent general users from accessing and bypassing controls.
    One method is to remove the drive and connect it to another system.

Caring1, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

"rename" command in Command Prompt

1. "rename" command in Command Prompt - Similar Threads - rename command Command

2. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  3. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  4. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    commands for command prompt not working: im trying to reset my laptop and everytime it says there was a problem resetting your pc so i looked up a youtube vid on how to fix this and came across the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" when i press enter however NOTHING happens, i let it sit for a...
  6. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    commands for command prompt not working: im trying to reset my laptop and everytime it says there was a problem resetting your pc so i looked up a youtube vid on how to fix this and came across the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" when i press enter however NOTHING happens, i let it sit for a...
  7. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.: I have a folder with thousands of files with in it. I have been trying to run various batch commands on the files within this folder, however some of these files have " and ' within their filename. Is there some way to either eliminate the problem characters from within the...
  9. command prompt commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    command prompt commands: Can anybody just tell me what the command prompt for starting up in safe mode with networking is, if there is one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/command-prompt-commands/7b058934-65f0-40dc-8982-936764895a61
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rename cmd prompt