Windows 10: Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix?

Discus and support Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I'm using command prompt to rename files. Most of the files are easy renames such as "hhs.pdf" renamed to "Hospice House Services.pdf". However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by apye, Dec 22, 2020.

1. apye Win User

Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix?

Hi!

I'm using command prompt to rename files. Most of the files are easy renames such as "hhs.pdf" renamed to "Hospice House Services.pdf". However, I do have some files that need to have individual suffixes.
    Ex. Verbal Order 49778, Verbal Order 49803, Verbal Order 49804

I would like to be able to take the file name "vo 49778.pdf" and use a cmd to rename it to "Verbal Order 49778.pdf".
    So, rename the "vo" part, but keep the suffix. Is this possible?

The current cmd I'm using is: ren "vo.pdf" "Verbal Order.pdf"
    Which works great... if there's no suffix or prefix.

*I am using this method as my company will not currently allow any new program downloads. Otherwise, I'd just download a file renaming program and call it a day. However, it's not allowed so I'm trying to work with what I have.

Windows 10 version 1809

Thanks!

:)

2. Windows and CMD- renaming a file in CMD

Steps I've done

Here what happens

• turn on PC

• start windows

• get blue screen ( message NTFS file)

• it reboots returns to diagnosing PC

• Diagnose and repair fails

• I move to advance options

• will not reset windows , I click on CMD

things I've tried
    commands:

reagentc /disable

reagentc /enable

*************************FAILED
    not recognized

Please advise

RandallBrock, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Windows and CMD- renaming a file in CMD

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. renaming file in CMD window 10

* Moved from Insider

* Original title: Windows and CMD

RandallBrock, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix?

File renamer utility?

Is there a good file renamer utility that's safe to use anyone could recommend? I used to use Gizmo's list for app suggestions but this particular application has not been reviewed in several years, so I don't know if those apps are safe to use or not.

I have many files I need to rename but keep the individuality of the names. For instance, I need to rename all files in a particular folder from yyyy.mm.pdf to AMEXyyyy.mm.pdf keeping the yyyy.mm data unique. Another folder has a ton of files that need to be renamed from yyyy.mm.pdf to Visayyyy.mm.pdf.

I had all this figured out a month or so back but have already forgotten how I did it using an arcane script in either cmd prompt or powershell, I can't remember which. And now I'm drawing a blank how to do it. Again. smh. So I thought a nice freeware file renamer might help me out.

speedlever, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix?

1. Rename Files using CMD but keep suffix/prefrix? - Similar Threads - Rename Files using

2. Delete files using cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete files using cmd: Hello, I want to search and delete files, in a folder by file extension ie: all files with extension jpeg, in a folder and it's subfolders ie: D:\New Can someone please write me a script to do that? Regards 181303
  3. DNS Suffix for Comcast Keeps Reappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Suffix for Comcast Keeps Reappearing: Hi there, our VPN pushes two DNS suffixes when folks connect to the company network. I've got a few users who have an additional DNS suffix of hsd1.dc.comcast.net The issue is that additional suffix causes disconnect issues when on VPN. I've tried several things...
  4. Can you change batch rename suffixes?

Can you change batch rename suffixes?: Hi, Currently, when I batch rename files, it shows as "NameOfFile #". However, is it possible to change the #, by something else like _# instead? Thank you...
  5. renaming cmd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    renaming cmd: hey guys i forgot my laptops password not long time ago so i had to rename cmd to utilman and utilman to ultimana. now i need to change it back and it doesnt let me bc of trustedinstaller. i changed settings that me (administrator) could change the name but it still doesnt...
  6. Rename a Shortcut in the Startmenu per CMD

Rename a Shortcut in the Startmenu per CMD: Hello I would like to rename a Shortcut, wich is created by a Programm but I always get "not found" as reply. I have tryed it with a textdocument on the same place and this worked perfect. And the CMD runs as admin. Details: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 1903 Program:...
  7. Instructions for deleting files, using CMD

Instructions for deleting files, using CMD: Hello to the Community, Need to delete lots of files; some are large. I'm looking for the steps to permanently delete selected files, using CMD (I am NOT a skilled User) The standard Delete via File Explorer sometimes doens't work....and/or is very slow to delete....
  8. rename cmd to command >bat file dont work Solution

in Windows 10 Customization
    rename cmd to command >bat file dont work Solution: hello guys i m look for a solution i m like to rename C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe to C:\Windows\System32\command.exe but then i m can not open anny *.bat file can you guys help me...
  9. Meaning of 'dash' suffix that appears after some CMD commands.

Meaning of 'dash' suffix that appears after some CMD commands.: What is the meaning of the "dash" suffix that appears after some directory locations and CMD Prompt commands? Example: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe -ServerName:microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel . I'm primarily interested in rendering minimal...
  10. Can't rename. File in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't rename. File in use.: I keep getting an error message about renaming a file that is in use. I made sure everything is closed, including files, folders & programs. I closed windows explorer as well. The file I want to rename is definitely not open anywhere. Help Please, 44380