Windows 10: Rename the user account

Discus and support Rename the user account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several PC's with my user name under C:\users\ being correct. But on one machine it is not correct and I would like to change it. I am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by E J Finneran, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Rename the user account

I have several PC's with my user name under C:\users\ being correct. But on one machine it is not correct and I would like to change it.

I am not able to find out how to do that.

:)

E J Finneran, Jan 29, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Jan 29, 2019
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jan 29, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Rename the user account

How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

Rename the user account

1. Rename the user account - Similar Threads - Rename user account

2. Having 2 accounts in Users folder after attempting to rename user.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having 2 accounts in Users folder after attempting to rename user.: Basically, I have 2 accounts in my users folder, my main one called 'beebo' and another one called my real name. The real name one only has 1 folder which is Minecraft and the other one called beebo has all my files. I tried to rename my user account but I didn't do it right...
  3. Having 2 accounts in Users folder after attempting to rename user.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having 2 accounts in Users folder after attempting to rename user.: Basically, I have 2 accounts in my users folder, my main one called 'beebo' and another one called my real name. The real name one only has 1 folder which is Minecraft and the other one called beebo has all my files. I tried to rename my user account but I didn't do it right...
  4. Having 2 accounts in Users folder after attempting to rename user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Renaming User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming User: I want to rename the 'maanv' folder but when I select it the rename option is not there. Help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-user/bbacc48a-dba1-4e2c-bb73-a793f6e789ab
  6. Account renamed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Account renamed: Hi, We have an issue where domain userADD Synced account was renamed. We deleted the user profile on Windows 10 from an admin account. After the user logged in again with his username it created a new profile with the new username but under Settings > Account > Your Info it...
  7. Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renamed User account, now want to rename its folder: I renamed a User account by using netplwiz. It was all good - the user can easily login and see all his files. Now I need to rename C:\User\<name> folder accordingly, but it does not work. The user cannot see his files upon logging in. I believe that there must be...
  8. Rename/change User account in File Explorer

Rename/change User account in File Explorer: [img] This is what my file explorer looks like. The only user account in the control panel is TimB. I want to get rid of or rename the defaultuser1.ASUS5 account and the trgra account. I've read various account of how to fix this, but none of them exactly fit my situation....
  9. Renaming User Accounts and their folders

Renaming User Accounts and their folders: In a short while I will be purchasing a Windows 10 PC, but I am not sure if I'll be able to tell them I want to install Win10 myself or if they'll do it for me. The point is, all the software I've collected, executables and all, is stored in my present Windows 7 folder:...
  10. Okay to rename user accounts?

Okay to rename user accounts?: I have just deployed a customised Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 image with six user accounts pre done as part of the SysPrep. I'd like to use this to reinstall on my sister's PC, too. She only needs four users, but they aren't included in my six (different family). As there's...