Windows 10: Rename the "User" Directory

Discus and support Rename the "User" Directory in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I moved my Users folder from C:\ to D:\ via C:\>Robocopy /xj /Mir /Move /CopyAll C:\Users D:\Users C:\>RMdir C:\Users /s /q and creating a Junction... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MDSBigPaPa, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Rename the "User" Directory

I moved my Users folder from C:\ to D:\ via
    C:\>Robocopy /xj /Mir /Move /CopyAll C:\Users D:\Users
    C:\>RMdir C:\Users /s /q
    and creating a Junction
    C:\> MkLink /j C:\Users D:\Users

All fine and dandy until I had to reinstall windows again. I renamed D:\Users to D:\Old_Users using a command prompt so I could again use the procedure above to move my users without losing their data. Everything worked as clockwork however Windows Explorer now shows two Users directories. If I try to Rename the Users folder to Old_Users, in Explorer, windows tells me that the name already exists.

I added the ACE(SID) and changed Owner to ensure proper security settings and copied their files into their \Users folder.

So my question is: How do I make Windows Explorer display the real underlying directory name of Old_Users?

:)

MDSBigPaPa, Apr 13, 2018

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Apr 13, 2018
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

Rename the "User" Directory

1. Rename the "User" Directory - Similar Threads - Rename User Directory

2. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  3. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  4. Attempt to rename a Directory; I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempt to rename a Directory; I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename.: Windows 11 File Manager. Attempt to rename a Directory. any that I choose but I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename, it points itself to another Directory that I have not requested....
  5. Attempt to rename a Directory; I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempt to rename a Directory; I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename.: Windows 11 File Manager. Attempt to rename a Directory. any that I choose but I cannot highlight the Directory I want to rename, it points itself to another Directory that I have not requested....
  6. Renaming User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming User: I want to rename the 'maanv' folder but when I select it the rename option is not there. Help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-user/bbacc48a-dba1-4e2c-bb73-a793f6e789ab
  7. Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming the User directory name in Windows 10: How do i rename the User directory name in Windows 10. This was truncated during the installation process.... thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-the-user-directory-name-in-windows-10/8c8e3ec0-8083-40a4-b24b-756c46259fc8
  8. Renaming parent directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming parent directory: So I bought a pc off my old boss. I've had it for about a year. I've been trying to change the user directory to my name in cmd. I have the pc renamed account named and admin to my name but when I save homework assignments or anything it has his name. And in cmd I get...
  9. C:\Users Directory

C:\Users Directory: Good Afternoon, I have a machine that is a member of a domain. The user account logged onto the machine is a user not an administrator. I run a portable program requires no prior installation as an administrator. I enter domain admin credentials. These domain...
  10. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...