Windows 10: Rename Users\Username?

Discus and support Rename Users\Username? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I installed Win10 Home and was prompted for a name at one point I got as far as 'conni' and before I could type the 'e' the word was accepted.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by markg2, Aug 5, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

Rename Users\Username?

When I installed Win10 Home and was prompted for a name at one point I got as far as 'conni' and before I could type the 'e' the word was accepted.

This is not the name that shows up on the Network for the machine-which is correct as to what I changed in System.

This is not the name that appears in Local Users/Groups, User Accounts--which is correct as her full name.

This is the name that appears under Users along with Public, etc.

Per Brink's tutorial, I've right clicked on 'conni' under Users but there is no Rename option.

I've right clicked conni, clicked Properties but the name is grayed out.

?

Mark

:)

markg2, Aug 5, 2017

2. rename! rename! all about rename

Supprise that there is no rename option for files like photo, video... Is there a good reason for this? or the programer just drunk that day when they wrote the code? that's not fair for 'the most personalized phone' that Microsoft talk about.

richinguyen, Aug 5, 2017
  3. Kamal DS Win User
    rename! rename! all about rename

The best way to rename the phone on the phone itself by installing file manager called Files. It lets you manage and rename files on the
    phone. You can find your just taken photo in Pictures > Camera folder.

Keep in mind that you must ensure that you are running WP8.1 to run Files app. Check that by going to Settings > about.

Alternatively you can connect it to the PC and use the Windows's file manager to rename the files stored on your phone.

Kamal DS, Aug 5, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Rename Users\Username?

Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    Thanks--

I had skipped your entry comments and went directly to steps. That won't happen again.

Mark

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  6. markg2 Win User
    On the login screen, bottom left, options Connie, Administrator, and something else. I clicked Administrator.

I wasn't asked for a password, Windows said to wait while it set things up and then opened to a desktop that was a mixture of initial setup and her desktop.

I right clicked on conni, renamed to Connie, clicked open space and got the attached error.
    Rename Users\Username? [​IMG]

Then the fun started.

I restarted, clicked on Connie this time instead of Admin, entered password and got a blue rectangular screen something like Windows couldn't logout dismiss and use temporarily or give up I think.

I shutdown and restarted a few times, same problem--machine would not take her login per couldn't logout.

I then reverted to yesterday's restore point successfully (using run for control panel, etc). But not really. The restore point start button does not work on left click, just right. I booted a few times--same problem with the button--can't get to programs.

I then used run to start Reflect from its .exe file. When I loaded last night's image something didn't seem right with the drive letters it was going to use for restored partitions.

I figured best come back here and see if we can get the start button to work?

I've got a headache ;-)!

Mark

markg2, Aug 6, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    This has happened if you restarted the computer without renaming the profile folder to match the path specified for the ProfileImagePath value in the registry.

You can fix this by renaming the ProfileImagePath data value path to what the folder is currently named.

To be able to rename the profile folder of an account, that account must be signed out.

Brink, Aug 6, 2017
  8. markg2 Win User

Rename Users\Username?

No, not what happened.

I restarted to get to the login screen and logged in as Administrator. With those rights per your earlier message, Rename would appear when rightclicking User conni. Rename did appear, I typed Connie BUT the OS did not accept the name change per the screenshot and per the same conni appearing as the User when I cleared the 'folder in use error' message.

So nothing changed at this point other than being logged in as Administrator. Hence, I restarted to log Admin out, get to the login screen and click on her account vs. Admin. After I entered her password I then got the Windows error that the previous had not logged out and in smaller print something to the effect that Windows sometimes needs to restart to logout the previous. I did so 2 more times including a cold boot. All times her name login/password resulted in the same message.

At that point I dismissed the warning, got to her desktop and there was a reminder that anything I did would be deleted on restart.

That's when I figured if I can't get Admin to unlock/logout by a soft or cold boot, the next best was to go back to an earlier system restore point--yesterday. I did that. OS reported done successfully. Wrong. The start button is nonfunctional. I booted again, the start button not functional.

The current status: restore point of yesterday, the same User conni remains in place and the start button is not functional. I'm not sure but it seems that the OS is not quite stable but I wasn't hanging around long enough to really know.

?

markg2, Aug 6, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 6, 2017
  10. markg2 Win User
    If the ‘conni’ account were still signed in I would have gotten the error signing in as Admin, which I didn’t. I got the error after Admin didn’t work Renaming conni, and I restarted and attempted to sign in as Connie G….

The reason your temp profile tutorial is not necessary now—

I dismissed the temp profile warning and fell back to the last restore point. The OS said it worked but it didn’t. The login problem was cleared but the start button was shot. No left click., no program launch other than directly from an .exe with explorer.

I then decided to do a Reflect image restore. The target partition drive letters on the restore screen didn’t seem correct—possibly due to starting up Reflect (don’t remember now, either from the .exe or double clicking an image) not from programs.

I will post the condition in the proper forum after another cup of coffee and a shower !

Mark

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Rename Users\Username?

1. Rename Users\Username? - Similar Threads - Rename UsersUsername

2. Right Click has lost copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename. I need the original menu back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click has lost copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename. I need the original menu back: When I right click on an icon it used to have copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename etc. now i need to click show more options and it is the most annoying thing in the entire world. I need to know how to fix it easily. its on my work computer so i cannot go into administrator...
  3. Right Click has lost copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename. I need the original menu back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click has lost copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename. I need the original menu back: When I right click on an icon it used to have copy/paste/cut/new folder/rename etc. now i need to click show more options and it is the most annoying thing in the entire world. I need to know how to fix it easily. its on my work computer so i cannot go into administrator...
  4. All folders are renamed and I cant fix them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All folders are renamed and I cant fix them: All of my folders are labelled “downloads” and my documents folder “D:\” it won’t let me rename them and I don’t know how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-renamed-and-i-cant-fix-them/d8d62538-5ed3-4824-9eee-0ea74b096c53
  5. All folders are renamed and I cant fix them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All folders are renamed and I cant fix them: All of my folders are labelled “downloads” and my documents folder “D:\” it won’t let me rename them and I don’t know how to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-renamed-and-i-cant-fix-them/d8d62538-5ed3-4824-9eee-0ea74b096c53
  6. All folders are renamed and I cant fix them

7. "can't open this item it might have been moved renamed or deleted"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "can't open this item it might have been moved renamed or deleted": I suddenly got this and half of the apps aren't working also logged me out of all of my accounts. I already did the basic troubleshooting and restarting but it didn't really fix all of them my wallpaper got removed or just turned black and whenever I try to change it in the...
  8. "can't open this item it might have been moved renamed or deleted"

"can't open this item it might have been moved renamed or deleted": I suddenly got this and half of the apps aren't working also logged me out of all of my accounts. I already did the basic troubleshooting and restarting but it didn't really fix all of them my wallpaper got removed or just turned black and whenever I try to change it in the...
  9. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  10. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...