Windows 10: Renamed a file C:/Users/TEST and Windows goes unresponsive?

Discus and support Renamed a file C:/Users/TEST and Windows goes unresponsive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Long story, not so short...I was recently going through my files cleaning out oldjunk and wanted to rename a file directory to get rid of the store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kanibal, Dec 15, 2016.

1. kanibal Win User

Renamed a file C:/Users/TEST and Windows goes unresponsive?

Long story, not so short...I was recently going through my files cleaning out oldjunk and wanted to rename a file directory to get rid of the store display filename setting. The file was C:\Users\TEST which I tried to rename it theTEST folder into MyComputer. During the process of it renaming all the subfolders (i did not realize the size of the files under this directory)Explorer.exe crashed and I restarted the computer. When everything loadedexplorer.exe was still not working, could not access the start menu or anyaspect of the taskbar (thank God for keyboard shortcuts). Certain files wouldnot open at all, programs wouldn't run, all there was to do was a systemrestore, which I did. After completing the restore I am still having numerousfile access and program issues and my main problem is that I can not get myMicrosoft Account linked up to my Windows 10 laptop. I have exhaustively pouredthrough the internet looking for solutions and trying many 'Fixs' to no successand I am hoping by turning to actual professionals which their products someonecan get me in the right direction to solve this issue.
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64-based
    Manufacturer: ASUSLaptop Model: R554LA
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1696 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 6GB DDR2
    Graphics: Intel HD

Thank you for your help in advance! And let me know any other information you mightneed.

:)

kanibal, Dec 15, 2016

2. User name problem

Microsoft technical support helped me resolve a problem whereby my user name was somehow corrupted during the Windows 10 upgrade. (Microsoft incident number 1303359225).

During the process they created a user named 'TEST' and had me copy all of my files from the corrupted C:\Users\GEORGE user to user 'C:\Users\TEST' and then delete everything from C:\Users\GEORGE and then rename the TEST user in the Control Panel. Everything
    worked great except one thing. I now have my GEORGE login back but everything is still under 'C:\Users\TEST'. I would like it to be under 'C:\Users\GEORGE'. Is there any way to change it to 'C:\Users\GEORGE' without going through the entire process of creating
    a new user and moving everything again. It took three days to move things the first time.

HarpinGeorge, Dec 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10 file explorer always scans a ts file on right click, why?

Here's a quick test:

Via a Command Prompt, rename all the .ts files in your test folder to a 'known unknown' file tyoe, eg. your zip code:

C:\Users\Whoever\Videos\TestFolder>ren *.ts *.90807

See how File Explorer handles those.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Dec 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, you appear to have tried to rename a user profile. That's not a meaningful thing to do and won't result in a good outcome, as you've discovered.

Was that your user profile or a different one?

Note that any files in Videos/Documents/Photos etc in that account will also have been moved. These are not protected by System Restore.

If it was your only user account, you might be able to make some progress by creating a new user profile and going from there. I really can't promise a good outcome.

Please note we strongly and repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging. If you have such images, you can quite quickly and easily restore your PC to a previous working state - even if your drive fails. Please look into Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images.

That way you can probably save yourself from most disasters without technical help.

dalchina, Dec 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Renamed a file C:/Users/TEST and Windows goes unresponsive? - Similar Threads - Renamed file Users

2. Renaming folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming folder in C:\Users: The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile named Win10 I sign in with my Microsoft account, use a PIN. Meaning this is not a local account, I want to change the name of...
  3. Renaming folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming folder in C:\Users: The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile named Win10 I sign in with my Microsoft account, use a PIN. Meaning this is not a local account, I want to change the name of...
  4. Renaming folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  6. Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Error due to renaming a C:/users file: Hi,I'm getting a critical error every time I sign in on my main account because I logged into another admin account, changed the name of my main account C:/users/[Name], then changed it in RegEdit so it could link together.However, I now cannot do anything on my main account...
  7. Rename C:/Users/<name>

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename C:/Users/<name>: How do I rename the above specified directory? I changed it through registry editor but after that my start menu failed and I've reset my PC. Please help me out with this submitted by /u/HarishRaj21 [link] [comments]...
  8. Renaming c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack: I did this renaming according to the method shown in several places on the internet: 1. Added a local user account named jg, signed out of jeger and signed into jg. 2. Using file explorer, renamed the folder c:\Users\jeger to C:\Users\Jack. 3. Using regedit, changed the...
  9. Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it: Hi, I have a local Windows account. I did the following after logging in: Rename C:\Users\MyName to C:\Users\SomeOtherName Move files to it Name it back to the original C:\Users\MyName Now I can't access my files, even after trying to rename again. What should I do?...
  10. How to rename C:\ users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to rename C:\ users: I bought a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1.Recently, I upgraded to windows 10. *Biggrin But now I noticed that my user folder is named as it world. And the path is C:\Users\it world . *Mad please help me to change it to C:\Users\.Please.......... *cry *Sad 16149

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file:///C:/Users/JUZZY B/Downloads/vdocuments.mx_learning-basic-english-grammar-easypacelearningcom.pdf

2. i have renamed my user name in c drive now i am unable to login through my microsoft account