Windows 10: Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network.

Discus and support Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’ve been trying to determine why my networked computers cant see each other. Rebuilt bith drsktops with new mb and did a clean install. When i changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by glmccready, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network.

I’ve been trying to determine why my networked computers cant see each other. Rebuilt bith drsktops with new mb and did a clean install. When i changed the crazy name assiged, computer xyx1066, or some such non sense to “craftroom”, it no longer shows in file explorer on either computer. Did all the recommended private sharing, folder sharing, services chsnges, no luck. Do another ckean i stall, shows up again. Guessi could just leave it as is, but seems odd win 10 cant handle a simplle computer rename, and reboot. Even did a restore point first and when it restored no comouter in file explorer. Widows used to ask what you wanted to name your conputrr, now justs asks for microsoft account info.

any ideas?

:)

glmccready, Jan 31, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Renaming the Computer...

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to rename the computer name as below and check if the issue persists.

Here’s how to rename the computer on Windows 10:

• Click on the Search icon in the taskbar Search icon;
    • Search Rename this computer and click on the result;
    • Click Change;
    • Rename the computer and then click OK to save.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 31, 2021
  4. MrMan Win User

Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network.

Frequent disconnects from network

HI,

firstly many thanks for taking the time to reply. I have done as suggested and performed a clean boot. After the computer restated the network was working for about a couple of minutes before disappearing. I'm not sure what the next step should be as it would seem that none of the non-essential services is causing the problem.

MrMan, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network.

1. Renamed computer after clean install, disappeared from network. - Similar Threads - Renamed computer clean

2. after installing kb5029921 the setting for change adapter settings disappeared from network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after installing kb5029921 the setting for change adapter settings disappeared from network...: i think the update number is correct anyways prior to this update i could go to network internet then to advanced settings and then a setting that basically from windows 7 you could see what adapters were present and could enable ethernet or disable it or do same for wifi but...
  3. after installing kb5029921 the setting for change adapter settings disappeared from network...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after installing kb5029921 the setting for change adapter settings disappeared from network...: i think the update number is correct anyways prior to this update i could go to network internet then to advanced settings and then a setting that basically from windows 7 you could see what adapters were present and could enable ethernet or disable it or do same for wifi but...
  4. Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install: Hi,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 build 19044What I encountered was that neither the network computers nor storage was listed when viewed with File Explorer > My PC. Only the media devices were listed under Network Locations.I googled the problem extensively and...
  5. Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install: Hi,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 build 19044What I encountered was that neither the network computers nor storage was listed when viewed with File Explorer > My PC. Only the media devices were listed under Network Locations.I googled the problem extensively and...
  6. Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Computer disappearing from network

Computer disappearing from network: My wife's computer, which is on my home network, keeps disappearing from the network. This happens every few days. I can fix it by going to services.msc and shutting down the function discovery provider host and resource publication and restarting them. But I can't work out...
  8. Computer Name change after Clean Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Name change after Clean Install: Just 'Clean Installed' my system - mainly to resolve the integrity issues being reported when I ran sfc /scannow. Seems to have resolved the issue as those integrity issues are now no longer being reported. Now running at Win 10 Pro 64-bit, V1903 b18362.449 My 'Computer...
  9. My network adapter disappeared from my computer.

My network adapter disappeared from my computer.: Hi. So I have a question. About a month ago I did a system restore on my computer to fix a problem when I downloaded a program. When my computer rebooted, my internet connection was gone and there were no wireless networks available. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11S. Intel...
  10. No wireless network after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No wireless network after clean install: I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 home. I can access the internet with an ethernet connection but there is no wireless connection available. In the device manager, under other devices and network controller there is a blue question mark over a white circle,...