Windows 10: renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder

Discus and support renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For example I start with two folders on the desktop "[group X(artist A)] sunset(tokyo)" and "picture gallery" and I do the following: 1. rename "[group... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by michealzun, Jun 29, 2019.

1. renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder

For example I start with two folders on the desktop "[group X(artist A)] sunset(tokyo)" and "picture gallery"
    and I do the following:
    1. rename "[group X(artist A)] sunset(tokyo)" to "ArtistA - sunset"
    2. drag a drop the "ArtistA - sunset" folder into the "picture gallery" folder
    3. then when I open "picture gallery", the first folder shows up as [group X(artist A)] sunset(tokyo)"
    4. I can try changing the name again, but when I move it out back to the desktop It resets the name to "[group X(artist A)] sunset(tokyo)" again.

why does this happen? how can i prevent it from resetting my name changes?
    I have over 10 thousand picture folders each named with different naming formats that I have to manually change, It's getting really annoying having to rename everything multiple times

:)

michealzun, Jun 29, 2019

2. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jun 29, 2019
  4. renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder

How to rename multiple files with same name and different extensions?

If you are not comfortable using scripts you can rename the files using the excellent (and free) IrfanView, just follow the following steps:

• Go to File > Batch Conversion/Rename....
    • In Work as select Batch rename.
    • In Batch rename settings change the default pattern of image### to image###.jpg as you want to change the extension too. This will name the files "image001.jpg", "image002.jpg", etc. (if you have more than 999 images in that folder use instead image####.jpg). You can configure other name pattern using the Options button.
    • In the explorer panel on the right select All files (*.*) in Type and go to the folder in which you have the files, then select the ones you want to rename and press Add (or press Add all if you want to to rename all the files of that folder).
    • In Output directory for result files press Use current ("look in") directory for selecting the same folder in which files are located, or use Browse to select a different one if you want to move renamed files to another folder.
    • Finally this press Start batch to begin the batch renaming.

Note that as a safety measure by default IrfanView will make a copy of the files with the new names in the output folder, instead of just renaming the existing ones. To rename the original files go to the Options of Batch rename settings and change Copy original/input files to output directory to Move original/input files to output directory.

Alberto Martinez, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder

1. renamed file keep resetting it's name back when i move it to a different folder - Similar Threads - renamed file keep

2. hello. i cant open a file when moved to a different folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hello. i cant open a file when moved to a different folder: i have a similar problem to this guy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-cannot-be-opened-after-moving-it-to-a/28b2ad2a-e1d3-40aa-94a2-cc422274d42falso click this video for more...
  3. hello. i cant open a file when moved to a different folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hello. i cant open a file when moved to a different folder: i have a similar problem to this guy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-cannot-be-opened-after-moving-it-to-a/28b2ad2a-e1d3-40aa-94a2-cc422274d42falso click this video for more...
  4. hello. i cant open a file when moved to a different folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  6. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  7. Renaming the folder back to original after moving Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming the folder back to original after moving Downloads folder: The HDD where my Downloads folder was located failed, and I wanted to change the location of the Downloads folder. I thought that changing it to an existing folder was a good idea. I did that, and the folder changed from it's name "xyz" to Downloads in the Explorer. I...
  8. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder: Hi, I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows this:[ATTACH] I used that folder as an example, and it happens with every single folder. Some people suggest i do "sfc /scannow",...
  9. Renaming a file into multiple different names

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming a file into multiple different names: Hi, I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions? 145227
  10. Renaming and moving folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming and moving folders: When, if ever, is Microsoft going to fix the highly annoying problem that prevents folders from being moved or renamed? This has existed for some times and all kinds of "fixes" can be found on the Web but none of them work. The only fix is to do it with the Run Command, but...