Windows 10: Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder

Discus and support Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi "guys" i'm in the mire. Well n truly. Im running win 10 and its been updated to the Nov Update PRIOR to the latest problem. I have 1x SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by winsuff19, Dec 22, 2019.

1. winsuff19 Win User

Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder

Hi "guys" i'm in the mire. Well n truly. Im running win 10 and its been updated to the Nov Update PRIOR to the latest problem. I have 1x SSD and normally 2 HDDs at 2TB. OS is on SSD and Data on HDD1
    I can't at this moment supply more speck on my desk top comp. Other than to say, everything is no more than 3 years old. I had a couple of HDD 2TB which played up and i was working on them. I was getting back inside the comp to rearrange the SATA cables etc and swapping drives. I then renamed my drive letters to try to give some clarity to which of the 3 drives was which & to align the cables on the mother board. I ignored the warning when i renamed the only drive which was not part of the problem and before i had thought about it, hit the button. The drive showed a new letter but id lost a folder. I tried renaming it to no avail. This is THE FOLDER i least wanted to loose. I have tried renaming, and, renaming the drive back, i have also tried Reccuva, which did not disclose anything which looked like the lost files let alone the folder. I have looked at Stellar and EasUS in so far as doing scans but nothing has shown up to suggest it will be worth the cost of the prog/s . I am now considering "Easy Partition" with a view to recover the whole drive. I have not written to the drive and fully expect the files to be present if i can convince something to return the drive to a state where i can see a folder which could be my documents. Without the sys spec i know this is short of info but that info is mainly in the lost folder. If somebody wants specific info ill find it. Q..whats the chances of Easy Partition restoring the drive with the missing folder intact ? Cheers

:)

winsuff19, Dec 22, 2019
  2. RSchulte Win User

Documents folder renamed to Downloads

Last night I was copying Pictures and Documents to external drives as backups.

Now I see two Downloads folders and no documents folder. One downloads folder has the download icon, the other downloads folder has the documents icon, and all the documents. The change does not seem to affect Office and Quicken, they find their files without
    a problem. Tried to rename it back to Documents, but it won't rename.

Suggestions?

RSchulte, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder

Documents folder renamed to Downloads

Hi Schulte,

I swill be glad to help you with the issue you have with documents folder.

Did you try to rename both documents folders?

I suggest you to reset folders. Please follow the below steps:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. While in File Explorer, click/tap on the View tab, and click/tap on
    Options in the ribbon.

3. Click on the tab that says View and click on Reset Defaults.

Please reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder

1. Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder - Similar Threads - Renamed Data HDD

2. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lost Document Folder

Lost Document Folder: I have inserted a new SSD to my desktop with a Windows 10. Before that, I have an HDD 500Gb also Win10 that I used for almost 10 years. So, it has my files, precious photos, videos, and more.... Now, while I'm organizing the default location of...
  6. Lost folders and data

Lost folders and data: Last week I did a clean Windows 10 install from an Installation Media drive after a crash. Windows 8.1 OS with Windows 10 upgrade had been there before. None of my data folders and files were reinstalled. I have restored most from backed up sources, but something is always...
  7. My Documents renamed

My Documents renamed: I'm setting up a new laptop and had OneDrive set to backup during installation. When I went to start copying my files onto the new laptop, I noticed the My Documents folder is named Helena Recycling one of the folders that was in my One Drive. How did this happen and how...
  8. Lost My Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost My Documents Folder: Hi, Please be gentle as new to this; *Sick I have Windows 10 with all updates. Noticed that One Drive h as not been 'working' since late 2018, or that was the date of the latest document. Tried to get this organised but with my arthritic hands I somehow dropped My...
  9. Rename Documents and Music folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename Documents and Music folders?: hi, just read this forum again and i'm not so sure if my problems related to this or not. Anyway, wanna know can i Rename the Folders and How can i do it. I've marked the folders that i want to rename in the picture. [img] this issue suddenly happens after the latest...
  10. Documents folder renamed videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder renamed videos: Hello, my Documents folder has somehow become Videos (in This PC). I don't recall making a change to it's name and in fact can't find any way of changing it. I did read a similar post after googling the problem, but the responses involved registry editing as the solution and...