Windows 10: Renaming a drive

Discus and support Renaming a drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldblue, Nov 2, 2015.

1. oldblue Win User

Renaming a drive

Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from "G" to a different unused letter?

Thanks for your help.

:)

oldblue, Nov 2, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

Filename change

Don't rename or make any changes to files or folders unless they are on your hard drive with Office tools available. Rename files or edit them on the hard drive and copy the renamed files to removable media but make a new folder on the flash drive first
    instead of renaming the folder on the hard drive and just copy the files to it. Office files are more complicated with hidden backups so you can't manipulate them on a flash drive.

mlg63, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Gowisha Win User
    Duplicated drive letter in File Explorer

No, that is not what I wrote. I wrote:

" I click on Rename for drive G, but all it shows in the Window is Drive G: without the (GRenaming a drive :) after it." To clarify that slightly, that is what shows in the Rename box. It does not show Drive G: (GRenaming a drive :)
    in the rename box.

Gowisha, Nov 2, 2015
  4. davexnet Win User

Renaming a drive

Open computer management/disk management. Right click the drive/partition and see if you can change it.

davexnet, Nov 2, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    That should work and let you change it....

I just changed one of mine about one week ago doing the same thing... I changed it from S: to T:

acmanten, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Renaming a drive

1. Renaming a drive - Similar Threads - Renaming drive

2. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  3. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  4. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want: Hello, I just bought this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0, and for some unknown reason, the name of the drive is automatically changed to "IXPANDFLIP". Does anyone know how to change it to "USB Drive"?...
  6. USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want

USB drive renamed automatically to a name I don't want: Hello, I just bought this SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0, and for some unknown reason, the name of the drive is automatically changed to "IXPANDFLIP". Does anyone know how to change it to "USB Drive"?...
  7. What to do if Disk drive D is renamed to Disk drive F but Disk Drive D says "removeable" or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do if Disk drive D is renamed to Disk drive F but Disk Drive D says "removeable" or...: I'm not saying this is the solution to fix your Hard drives. Most likely you have HDD is corrupted. But, if you that your drive is healthy than don't panic. I'm no computer engineer so forgive me if I get something wrong. In that case, point it out and give out a better...
  8. What to do if Disk drive D is renamed to Disk drive F but Disk Drive D says "removeable" or...

What to do if Disk drive D is renamed to Disk drive F but Disk Drive D says "removeable" or...: I'm not saying this is the solution to fix your Hard drives. Most likely you have HDD is corrupted. But, if you that your drive is healthy than don't panic. I'm no computer engineer so forgive me if I get something wrong. In that case, point it out and give out a better...
  9. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive: I'm getting this error whenever I try to rename USB Flash Drive. This started happening after I upgraded Windows to 11 Pro. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive.Click Continue to complete this operation.Does anyone know how to...
  10. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive

Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive: I'm getting this error whenever I try to rename USB Flash Drive. This started happening after I upgraded Windows to 11 Pro. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive.Click Continue to complete this operation.Does anyone know how to...