Windows 10: Renaming a drive

Discus and support Renaming a drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldblue, Nov 2, 2015.

1. oldblue Win User

Renaming a drive

Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from "G" to a different unused letter?

Thanks for your help.

:)

oldblue, Nov 2, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

Filename change

Don't rename or make any changes to files or folders unless they are on your hard drive with Office tools available. Rename files or edit them on the hard drive and copy the renamed files to removable media but make a new folder on the flash drive first
    instead of renaming the folder on the hard drive and just copy the files to it. Office files are more complicated with hidden backups so you can't manipulate them on a flash drive.

mlg63, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Gowisha Win User
    Duplicated drive letter in File Explorer

No, that is not what I wrote. I wrote:

" I click on Rename for drive G, but all it shows in the Window is Drive G: without the (GRenaming a drive :) after it." To clarify that slightly, that is what shows in the Rename box. It does not show Drive G: (GRenaming a drive :)
    in the rename box.

Gowisha, Nov 2, 2015
  4. davexnet Win User

Renaming a drive

Open computer management/disk management. Right click the drive/partition and see if you can change it.

davexnet, Nov 2, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    That should work and let you change it....

I just changed one of mine about one week ago doing the same thing... I changed it from S: to T:

acmanten, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Renaming a drive

1. Renaming a drive - Similar Threads - Renaming drive

2. Permission to rename internal drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Permission to rename internal drives?: I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu). Now, when I try to rename any of my internal...
  3. Permission to rename internal drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission to rename internal drives?: I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu). Now, when I try to rename any of my internal...
  4. Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Renamed my "Data" HDD drive, Ignored warning, lost "documents" folder: Hi "guys" i'm in the mire. Well n truly. Im running win 10 and its been updated to the Nov Update PRIOR to the latest problem. I have 1x SSD and normally 2 HDDs at 2TB. OS is on SSD and Data on HDD1 I can't at this moment supply more speck on my desk top comp. Other than to...
  5. I Need to rename this photo in E drive and rename does NOT work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Need to rename this photo in E drive and rename does NOT work: How do I rename a file that was sent to an E file. AND if I use edit, it automatically sends me to edit in paint??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-rename-this-photo-in-e-drive-and-rename/d9cd7449-6b90-49e6-ad2b-63cffd4a6191
  6. I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...: in an attempt to change my previous user folder "janmarsha" to "jeh" i ran regedit and navigated through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList. i double clicked the profile imaged path then changed it from C:\Users\janmarsha to...
  7. Can't rename any drive to "M"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't rename any drive to "M": When I try to rename any drive, external or internal, the drive isn't seen in "This PC". Any other letter works fine. The renamed drive can be seen and even accessed (right click > open) in Disk Management or MiniTool. It was suggested that I try "mountvol /r" but to no...
  8. When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder

in Windows 10 Support
    When I plug in an external drive I cannot rename any folder: When I plug in an external drive, e.g. a WD 8 TB, I cannot rename any folder there. Creating, copying folders work. What could I do to rename a folder? 124846
  9. Blue Screen, then Windows Automatic Repair - C: drive renamed to G:

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen, then Windows Automatic Repair - C: drive renamed to G:: Hello! My computer (running Windows 10) crashed to a blue screen of death yesterday. The stop code was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, for the file nvlddmkm.sys (which appears to be related to the nVidia graphics card). Upon reboot, my PC displays the Windows Automatic Repair...
  10. After restart goes to x drive will not boot c drive renamed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After restart goes to x drive will not boot c drive renamed: Did a restart and window 10 went into repair mode and said it could not fix it. went into command prompt and found my self on x drive. look around and found my c drive renamed to j drive, did a dir command and found all my windows files there. one of my others drives now has...