Windows 10: Renaming a file into multiple different names

Discus and support Renaming a file into multiple different names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Navje, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Navje Win User

Renaming a file into multiple different names

Hi,

I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions?

:)

Navje, Nov 27, 2019
  2. red268 Win User

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Nov 27, 2019
  3. How to rename multiple files with same name and different extensions?

If you are not comfortable using scripts you can rename the files using the excellent (and free) IrfanView, just follow the following steps:

• Go to File > Batch Conversion/Rename....
    • In Work as select Batch rename.
    • In Batch rename settings change the default pattern of image### to image###.jpg as you want to change the extension too. This will name the files "image001.jpg", "image002.jpg", etc. (if you have more than 999 images in that folder use instead image####.jpg). You can configure other name pattern using the Options button.
    • In the explorer panel on the right select All files (*.*) in Type and go to the folder in which you have the files, then select the ones you want to rename and press Add (or press Add all if you want to to rename all the files of that folder).
    • In Output directory for result files press Use current ("look in") directory for selecting the same folder in which files are located, or use Browse to select a different one if you want to move renamed files to another folder.
    • Finally this press Start batch to begin the batch renaming.

Note that as a safety measure by default IrfanView will make a copy of the files with the new names in the output folder, instead of just renaming the existing ones. To rename the original files go to the Options of Batch rename settings and change Copy original/input files to output directory to Move original/input files to output directory.

Alberto Martinez, Nov 27, 2019
  4. ARJUN Win User

How to rename multiple files with same name and different extensions?

enter image description hereI have a number of file with same name and different extension in a folder, Originally these files were all in .Jpg format with different names.

1.j87
    1.j88
    1.j89
    Now I've to rename each image to different name and extension individually.

I found this on our forum.

Renaming multiple files with same filename but different extensions

But I don't know how to use this script can someone help?

ARJUN, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Renaming a file into multiple different names - Similar Threads - Renaming file multiple

2. Rename multiple files at once

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename multiple files at once: Greetings,I have the following situation:I need to rename a lot really a lot of files, that were named without using any standard. So, I am doing this manually, but it is taking too much time. So, I would like to know if there is any tool that I could use to help me on...
  3. Rename multiple files at once

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename multiple files at once: Greetings,I have the following situation:I need to rename a lot really a lot of files, that were named without using any standard. So, I am doing this manually, but it is taking too much time. So, I would like to know if there is any tool that I could use to help me on...
  4. Rename multiple files at once

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Renaming multiple files at once.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming multiple files at once.: Hi Team,Is there a way to change the format in which multiple renaming is done?For example if i select 3 files and hit rename, currently it does them like this:"xx 1.yy""xx 2.yy""xx 3.yy"In my daily work it would help a lot if instead the renaming would be done like...
  6. Renaming multiple files at once.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming multiple files at once.: Hi Team,Is there a way to change the format in which multiple renaming is done?For example if i select 3 files and hit rename, currently it does them like this:"xx 1.yy""xx 2.yy""xx 3.yy"In my daily work it would help a lot if instead the renaming would be done like...
  7. Renaming multiple files at once.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Rename multiple files to same name + number

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename multiple files to same name + number: Hello, I have a folder with a lot of files of the same type. I want to rename them all to something like name1, name2, name3, and order by date (so that name1 is the oldest) Is there a way to do it? *I don't want to use the select all and then rename option because it...
  9. Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files: Let's say I have a folder with 5 jpeg images and 5 png images, select them all, and rename them, to 'Photo', instead of going from 'Photo 1' to 'Photo 10', it names the png files up to 5 and then the jpeg files up to 5, meaning I end up with duplicate names such as 'Photo 5'...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...