Windows 10: renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

Discus and support renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by waster999, Apr 12, 2023.

1. waster999 Win User

renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder, where all the characters are highlighted and available to change 2 - I am unable to rename the desired folder at all, nothing happens if I select the folder name a second time, to bring up the editing feature or if I right click and select rename from the more options menuI have not found a way of renaming it at all but w

:)

waster999, Apr 12, 2023
  2. danwca Win User

can not rename a folder

after accidentally deleting some registry keys, something happens to my windows, here is the description:

1. in explorer, create a folder, and type a new name for "new folder", after hitting "enter", an error message window shows "Can't find the specified file; make sure you specify the correct path and file name"; click the button "Cancel", a message box shows "The file or folder does not exist", click the button "Ok"; then the folder leave as "new folder"
    2. in explorer, rename a folder, and the same thing happens.
    3. in cmd, ren "new folder" "anything", it works.
    4. in explorer, can not drag and drop a folder
    so, I can use cmd to create and rename a folder.

any suggestions to fix the registry are appreciated.

Thanks,

danwca, Apr 12, 2023
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 12, 2023
  4. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list :D

PVTCaboose1337, Apr 12, 2023
Thema:

renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

1. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list - Similar Threads - renaming folder file

2. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  3. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it: I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing...
  4. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it: I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing...
  5. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  6. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  7. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

8. Renaming Folders From Windows File Explorer Search: Doesn't Rename Folders Correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming Folders From Windows File Explorer Search: Doesn't Rename Folders Correctly: [ATTACH] I'm not sure how long this bug has been there, however renaming folders from Windows File Explorer search messes up the folder names. The folder ends up with two folder names: 1) The new folder name, which appears in the Windows File Explorer UI 2) The old...
  9. renaming folders in Windows 10 file explorer

renaming folders in Windows 10 file explorer: I have a problem when renaming folders in file explorer in Windows 10. I can change the name of a folder, no problem. But when I do this with an EMPTY folder, the old folder is retained and a new separate folder is created with the new name. This happens even when I create...
  10. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...