Windows 10: Renaming a User file made it disappear

Discus and support Renaming a User file made it disappear in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've always only had 1 user on my PC, and it has always had the incorrect name, so i thought id finally change it, i Signed into another account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeraintDavies096, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Renaming a User file made it disappear

Hi,

I've always only had 1 user on my PC, and it has always had the incorrect name, so i thought id finally change it, i Signed into another account called Administrator, when i went to C:\Users to change the name of my user, the file disappeared and can no longer sign into that account on my PC, have i lost it or is there a way i cant get it back and resign in?

TIA

:)

GeraintDavies096, Nov 12, 2020

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Nov 12, 2020
  3. File disappeared after renaming..

Hi Arturo,

To troubleshoot your issue if the file or folder disappear you need to refresh your desktop. You can do one of the following, if changes are made to the default UAC setting:

1. Keep C:\Users\Public\Desktop folder window opened on the user's desktop while doing rename operation.

2. Press F5 on user's desktop when this problem happens.

Get back to us if the steps won't work.

Marilou Ser, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Renaming a User file made it disappear

I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Renaming a User file made it disappear

1. Renaming a User file made it disappear - Similar Threads - Renaming User file

2. User file disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User file disappeared: I was going to show my hidden files in my User account so i can access AppData, but when it was completed the User account disappeared and the public was the only one left in the C: file. Is there anyway of putting it back? it was my very first account and a lot of data was...
  3. User file disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User file disappeared: I was going to show my hidden files in my User account so i can access AppData, but when it was completed the User account disappeared and the public was the only one left in the C: file. Is there anyway of putting it back? it was my very first account and a lot of data was...
  4. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  5. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming the User File: I renamed my user file from "dogwa" to "aison5" through the registry editor. Upon resetting and logging back in, a popup says, "We can't sign in to your account." I think this had to do with renaming it, and i don't know how to rename it back. i also can't open the microsoft...
  6. Renaming the User File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Renaming User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming User: I want to rename the 'maanv' folder but when I select it the rename option is not there. Help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-user/bbacc48a-dba1-4e2c-bb73-a793f6e789ab
  8. Disappearing files during rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing files during rename: I have scanned a lot of newspaper clippings to OneDrive using the Office Lens app on my Android phone very useful app!. I then started the process of renaming all the files on my PC. I did this by bring up the image full screen on the laptop, clicking the ... top right and...
  9. Renaming users file on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming users file on windows 10: I just made a windows 10 account and I noticed that my user file was half my name with a bunch of random numbers after it. How do I change this? I do not remember an option given to change the name of it. submitted by /u/RiceIceRice [link] [comments]...
  10. Rename/change User account in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename/change User account in File Explorer: [img] This is what my file explorer looks like. The only user account in the control panel is TimB. I want to get rid of or rename the defaultuser1.ASUS5 account and the trgra account. I've read various account of how to fix this, but none of them exactly fit my situation....