Windows 10: Renaming a user folder in This PC

Discus and support Renaming a user folder in This PC in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Greetings Ten Forums!, I have recently encountered another problem regarding the user folders(Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents, Downloads...etc)... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scar, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Scar Win User

Renaming a user folder in This PC

Greetings Ten Forums!,

I have recently encountered another problem regarding the user folders(Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents, Downloads...etc) in This PC, though this time it's a problem that occurred when I first installed Windows 10 but decided to ignore it. I was setting different locations to these folders and might have somehow messed up that it ended up renaming my Pictures folder to Videos.

Renaming a user folder in This PC [​IMG]

It's most likely because I accepted the "Move items to the new folder" option when I was setting the new location without even reading it properly. I later decided to simply get rid of these folders by using your awesome registry editor in this thread (This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums). These folders sadly returned with the recent updates and I'm sure they will keep on returning so I just want to use them and take full advantage of the start menu's short cuts which die off when I remove these folders. The Music folder is dead there even though it works fine in the folder itself and I have no idea why.

When I try to restore these folders I get this error even when I have everything closed and fresh off a restart.

Is there any way I could rename the Videos folder and get things totally restored back to normal?. Would highly appreciate the help and I apologize if I wasn't conclusive enough to a rather hopefully simple issue.

:)

2. Unable to rename folders directly under This PC\Documents

Thanks, I can now see how what I said wasn't clear... I meant "Right click and 'rename'..."

Just to be clear, I'm an experienced user. For some reason I can't rename folders in this location.

I can rename the folder named 'Folder' when I navigate via C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents.

But I can't rename 'Folder' when I navigate via "This PC"\Documents.

The Great Pretender, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Unable to rename folders directly under This PC\Documents

Hi,

A very strange issue/bug? has occurred.

Everything was fine until just now when I suddenly lost the ability to rename folders directly under "This PC"\Documents. It is strange because:

1) I can rename folders via C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents,

2) I can rename subfolders, as in "This PC"\Documents\Folder\Subfolder, but I cannot rename 'Folder', and

3) I can rename folders within "This PC"\Music etc. It is only a problem with the Documents folder.

I cannot rename the folder using:

1) Right-click, rename,

2) F2, and

3) When I create a newfolder, I cannot rename it at that instant.

Do I have some regedit issue?

Many thanks,

The Great Pretender, Aug 11, 2015
  4. DTG1 Win User

This is why you always back up the registry when doing any changes, and export keys before you delete them. Even create a System Restore Point if you are shaky about hackentehregg. So assuming you did not do any of this, you will have to follow that tutorial in reverse, i.e. recreate those keys and merge them back into the Reg.

From that tutorial page download the .reg file for the folder that is causing you trouble. For this example, lets use Music folder file, use whichever version you need 32 or 64. Use your favorite text editor. (NPP*Cool)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]
    "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]
    "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]

change that to

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]
    "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]
    "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]

save and merge (right click if you need to)

5. Gary Win User
    I can't rename any folder..

6. DTG1 Win User
    Navigate to your users folder (C:\Users\<yourname>\ ) right click rename, close file explorer, then restart windows explorer via the task manager (right click > restart).

What is a shame, you can change the icons there but they will not change in This PC location.

To change those, go back to that tutorial about removing those folders and goto each key, and look for DefaultIcon, find an icon, copy the path. For me, all my extra icons are in "D:\Icons", then just and "<icon name>.ico" copy to that key and all set.

7. Scar Win User
    Thank you very much for your response. I didn't do any backups because I didn't really think I was doing anything I haven't done before. All I did was try to assign these folders into different path using the "Location" tab. I must have mistakenly given the Videos folder the Pictures location and the folder entirely was renamed. All I want to do is rename this folder back to "Pictures" but can't seem to find a way to do so.

Thank you.

8. Scar Win User

I will give this a try right now. Thank you very much. Is there any solution to why the Music folder in settings is greyed out?.

9. DTG1 Win User
    No, but I assume it has to do with the changes you made. Tried reverting that folder back or original?

10. Scar Win User
    Yes I have.

11. kkc0123 Win User
    I am having the same issue as the original poster. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

kkc0123, Oct 5, 2015
  12. joya Win User
    Boot your PC from a Ubuntu Live CD and you can then rename any folder without problem.

13. kkc0123 Win User

I don't think it's really a folder naming problem. The actual folder with my music is still there and named Music. The problem is just in the Folder section in File Explorer>This PC.

kkc0123, Oct 6, 2015
  14. lien Win User
    Is the issue resolved? I am currently stuck with this problem...very frustrating.

Thema:

1. Renaming a user folder in This PC - Similar Threads - Renaming user folder

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  4. renaming user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  5. renaming user folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  6. User Folder Renamed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Renamed: I just renamed my user folder in Windows 10 admin mode without understanding what that would do. Now i cannot access all my old files. How can I recover my work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-folder-renamed/cca273bc-0d0f-42cc-a140-5c4775f1da2f
  7. Rename a User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  8. Rename the user Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename the user Folder: I'm trying to change the name of my user folder but i can't. Instead of that only apperars my hotmail like the user and i cannot do anything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-the-user-folder/668e0f06-6683-4908-b2b0-572afdac2733
  9. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello, it's not much of an issue just a personal preference, however how would I go about to changing my user folder name? Thanks. 34760
  10. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699