Windows 10: Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

Discus and support Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Let's say I have a folder with 5 jpeg images and 5 png images, select them all, and rename them, to 'Photo', instead of going from 'Photo 1' to 'Photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Withered_One, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

Let's say I have a folder with 5 jpeg images and 5 png images, select them all, and rename them, to 'Photo', instead of going from 'Photo 1' to 'Photo 10', it names the png files up to 5 and then the jpeg files up to 5, meaning I end up with duplicate names such as 'Photo 5' and 'Photo 5'.

How do I fix this?

submitted by /u/Withered_One
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Withered_One, Dec 13, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Dec 13, 2020
  3. How to Batch Rename files ?

I have a lot of files I want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, I want to give to other files.

How do i do this in a batch process ?

Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be updated version of Resizer by the same company?
    That has been useful for other batch processes for images . But I've yet to figure the batch naming options .

A different software I'm considering for this task is called Advanced Renamer .

Maybe I've become too slow through the years because :
    I've been looking for the right tutorial that I can clearly understand and found none .
    They seem to be out of my grasp .

Note : I currently use a bat file, that takes the names of other files I have in a folder and puts them into a text file.

( I'd prefer a one click Bat process ideally for this specific task ) .

So I'd be happy with a bat file that can also take those names in my text list
    and apply them to files I want to rename in any given folder with those . If anyone knew how to do that.

It don't matter the order applied - as long as each file in the folder receives one name from the list.
    The names I pulled are from images in a folder. The names are to be applied to a equal number of files ,
    which is a different extension. so no worry about them having the same name. So just the names .

- - - Updated - - -

I found this thread. But unsure how to apply it and its replies into the bat i need ?

stackoverflow rename-files-after-a-list-of-names

Update possible reference
    for loop - Creating a batch file to rename TXT files based on content (removing inappropriate syntax) - Stack Overflow

- - - Updated - - -

and yet another reference i need help understanding if its useful
    windows - Generate file-folder list.txt file in a directory/subdirectory & rename list.txt to folder/subfolder name using dir & ren command in a batch file - Stack Overflow

OtherWay1982, Dec 13, 2020
  4. Navje Win User

Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

Renaming a file into multiple different names

Hi,

I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions?

Navje, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files

1. Renaming files in batch causes duplicate names for different format files - Similar Threads - Renaming files batch

2. Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals: Hi,I have a list of files that contain "Firstname Lastname". Is there a way to batch rename the files to "FL"?For example:"Donkey Kong Rewards Package 2023""Mario Kart Rewards Package 2023"etc.Can these be renamed through power rename to:"DK Rewards Package 2023""MK Rewards...
  3. Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals: Hi,I have a list of files that contain "Firstname Lastname". Is there a way to batch rename the files to "FL"?For example:"Donkey Kong Rewards Package 2023""Mario Kart Rewards Package 2023"etc.Can these be renamed through power rename to:"DK Rewards Package 2023""MK Rewards...
  4. batch rename files

in Windows 10 Support
    batch rename files: hello, id like to remove characters in file names... using cmd, ive been able to remove "." (the dot) and replace it with a space and but hopefully keep the extention id like bou.bou.bou.txt to be renamed to bou bou bou.txt i tried : ren *.*.??? * *.??? obviously i want to...
  5. Rename files in batch.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename files in batch.: Hi All.. I am having some files nearly 2000 in nos. in a particular folder. I just need to replace some portion. Is it possible that I can do it instantaneously.. if so please guide....Details are furnished below.Old file Name : P12478-12-71-41-1781-01.dwg...
  6. Is there a way to batch rename files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to batch rename files?: I have a file with pictures formatted as "A-B-C" and need to change all the dashes to underscore such as "A_B_C". Is there a way to do this as a batch in the folder somehow? submitted by /u/gingernuts13 [link] [comments]...
  7. Renaming a file into multiple different names

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming a file into multiple different names: Hi, I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions? 145227
  8. How to Batch Rename files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Batch Rename files ?: I have a lot of files i want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, i want to give to other files. How do i do this in a batch process ? Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be...
  9. Batch Rename Deletes Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Batch Rename Deletes Files: Hey all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and I've been playing around with the new File Explorer. One thing I tried was the batch rename function (by which I mean just selecting multiple files and clicking "rename"). I quickly realized that it behaves differently...
  10. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...