Windows 10: Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

Discus and support Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This problem has bugs the He__ out of me. When renaming a file or folder in Windows 10 file explorer, I click on the filename and while I am adding a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ernest Lee esq, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

This problem has bugs the He__ out of me. When renaming a file or folder in Windows 10 file explorer, I click on the filename and while I am adding a word, or number and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which, of course when I type another stroke the entire filename is deleted, and I have t start all over. I hear this is caused by OneDrive syncing files but this happens when one-drive is idle..

HOW CAN I FIX THIS or do I replace OneDrive?

:)

Ernest Lee esq, Jan 18, 2021

2. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I think my two cents may help some people since I'm having this problem on Windows 10 nearly seven years later.

It seems that, because I'm trying to rename something on dropbox, that there's a lag between me choosing to rename the file and dropbox recognizing that I'm trying to rename a file. At first, I would wait a few seconds, hit "Home" or the left arrow key,
    and then work on renaming the file hoping it doesn't happen again, which sometimes it does.

It seems though, that if I hit backspace (when the filename is still initially selected), ctrl+z (to undo deleting the file name), and then home (to get back to the beginning of the file name), I can use the arrow keys to move to the portion I need to rename
    unmolested, almost like it forces dropbox to recognize that a file is being renamed.

Original thread: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

jackosataco, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1).

See citation below for the detailed problem description.

I want to add that I first suspected my mouse or keyboard to cause the problem by doing random clicks/presses, but switching keyboard and mouse did not help.

Also, the problem persists when I'm not touching the mouse but navigate only via keyboard/drop-down-menue-key/arrows->"rename"/enter/...

Upon inspection of the bug I found that, sometimes the cursor is merely reset to a different location within the file/fold-name, instead of selecting the entire name. However, the location of the cursor-insert is not correlated to the mouse-cursor-location
    on the screen!

Would love some technically insightful response as to where this might be coming from. Much rather then "plug-unplug"-types of suggestions on how to fix it.

Hope this helps in resolving the problem for Microsoft.

Friendly regards,

SB

"Hi All -

This problem has been bugging me since I switched over to Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

When renaming a file or folder in Windows 8.1 file explorer, I click on the filename (which selects entire name), then click on the part I want to rename (for example, putting the cursor between two words or a place where I want to add a letter or word),
    and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which then deletes the original filename.

Example:

original filename: MyList

I click on filename, which selects entire name in blue: MyList

I click on name again to de-select and put cursor where I want it: My>cursor<List

I start typing "Grocery" to insert it between My & List, then Windows automatically selects the entire original name, then I'm left with "Grocery" which replaced the selection.

Strange - never had this problem with earlier versions of Windows. Seems to do it when I'm renaming quickly - can't seem to get it to do it when I'm slow & trying to see what Windows is up to.

Anybody else with this problem? Is there a fix?"

Selmar_Binder, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Human1 Win User

Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

How to Make Windows 10 Bat File to Bulk Rename Filenames in txt file

Hello, Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I would like to create a bat file that will run in windows 10 that can duplicate one jpeg image file ( test.jpg. )
    to a list of filenames ( one per line ) found in a text file ( test.txt )
    This means if i had a list of 100 image filenames or more in a text file it would duplicate the single image file 100 times and rename them based on the filenames within the text file.

an example of the filenames in text file
    chair.jpg
    house.jpg
    tree.jpg

Thank you.

Human1, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

1. Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename - Similar Threads - Renaming Files Selects

2. Rename multiple files in entire folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename multiple files in entire folder: Hello, I have problem with renaming entire folder of photos in windows 11, when I select all and give the first file a name then I hit enter, it gives every two files same exact name until it reaches to file No. 4 then starts to give different for each one, but it should give...
  3. Rename multiple files in entire folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename multiple files in entire folder: Hello, I have problem with renaming entire folder of photos in windows 11, when I select all and give the first file a name then I hit enter, it gives every two files same exact name until it reaches to file No. 4 then starts to give different for each one, but it should give...
  4. Select only files that have "Copy" in the filename?

in Windows 10 Support
    Select only files that have "Copy" in the filename?: Hi all, Is there a way to select only filenames that have "Copy" in its filename? Example: Filename22.xlsx Filename22 - Copy.xlsx Filename34.xlsx Filename34 - Copy.xlsx Filename89.xlsx Filename89 - Copy.xlsx etc. TIA! 174476
  5. Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2: When modifying file names in all file types in File Explorer, I use F2 and then modify as required. When I do this, it keeps selecting the whole file name as I'm typing making the process very inefficient. I have restored defaults in File Explorer Options. But this is a...
  6. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8: So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I think my two cents may help some people since I'm having this problem on Windows 10 nearly seven years later. It seems that,...
  7. file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed

file will not sync, be deleted, or renamed: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I have found the location of the folder but it still will not let me delete or rename, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-will-not-sync-be-deleted-or-renamed/3ac31aa9-c9c9-49d7-863f-c161a50477cf"
  8. W10 Malformed filename rename

W10 Malformed filename rename: I have managed to create a file with 255 character filename. I would like to delete this file but all attempts have failed. This file resists all attempts to rename, move, copy and delete. CHKDSK /f does not show any problems The filename is : "GitHub -...
  9. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it: I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to...
  10. bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames)

in Windows 10 Support
    bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames): basically l have over 50 files that lm unable to download to the location l wish to on my laptop (each file is about a gig), however their filenames are quite long which leads me to the 255 character limit. my intention was to originally use winscp to batch rename but lm not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking in file name to edit randomly highlights whole name