Windows 10: Renaming folder in C:\Users

Discus and support Renaming folder in C:\Users in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mister Kayne, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Renaming folder in C:\Users

The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile named Win10 I sign in with my Microsoft account, use a PIN. Meaning this is not a local account, I want to change the name of that folder, can I do it? What are the consequences of renaming it? Not a critical issue, just thought that there should have been a personal profile under users with my name

:)

Mister Kayne, Apr 21, 2024

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Redirecting

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Apr 21, 2024
  3. Renaming C:\Users\<user>, then saving to it

Windows will not let you rename your own profile folder while you are logged on.

What exactly did you do, and why?

Frederik Long, Apr 21, 2024
  4. Renaming folder in C:\Users

User Folder Renamed

It is totally unclear what you did and how. The fact is that Windows will not let you rename your profile folder while you are logged on. The only way goes like this. Note that this is is an unsupported operation that could cause serious problems:

1. Log on under a different account, one that has admin privileges.
    2. Rename the folder C:\Users\Nath to C:\Users\Nathan
    3. Adjust certain keys in the registry to reflect the change.

Now please report exactly what you did.

Frederik Long, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

Renaming folder in C:\Users

1. Renaming folder in C:\Users - Similar Threads - Renaming folder Users

2. Renaming folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming folder in C:\Users: The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile named Win10 I sign in with my Microsoft account, use a PIN. Meaning this is not a local account, I want to change the name of...
  3. Renaming folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming folder in C:\Users: The chap who installed Windows 10 on my PC, I asked him to use my license key when installing. I see that in this folder: C:\Users There is a profile named Win10 I sign in with my Microsoft account, use a PIN. Meaning this is not a local account, I want to change the name of...
  4. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  5. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  6. How to rename user folder to "C:\Users\Anil Chaudhary" from C:\Users\USER."?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to rename user folder to "C:\Users\Anil Chaudhary" from C:\Users\USER."?: My device : DELL, WIN10 64Bits. I brought this two ago. The seller helped me set up, he set the user name "USER." which I changed to "Anil Chaudhary" and now I see Anil Chaudhary in the login screen. However, in the C drive, it is still "C:\Users\USER.". I want changes...
  7. After rename User's folder, C:\User\previousname unavailable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After rename User's folder, C:\User\previousname unavailable: Hello everyone, i need help, how to fix after renaming the User's folder, the C:\User\previousname\Desktop & C:\User\previousname\Document unavailable when i open file explorer. Please assist me in this situation. Regards...
  8. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...
  9. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...
  10. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...