Windows 10: renaming folders

Discus and support renaming folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019.

1. renaming folders

I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the command prompt and using the "ren" function. This works, so obviously the folder can be renamed and does exist. This process is too long. I have already tried several of the remedies mentioned in the forum and help sites. When is there going to be a remedy that actually works?

I am running Windows 10 Pro and it is up to date.

:)

Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019

2. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Mar 15, 2019
  4. renaming folders

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

renaming folders

1. renaming folders - Similar Threads - renaming folders

2. Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder: while trying to move Desktop folder from one drive to another I accidently merged the two. I then followed the directions in the following link and succeeded in separating the two using registry...
  3. Renaming New Folders in Windows Explorer Fails - Appears to be a timeout issue

Renaming New Folders in Windows Explorer Fails - Appears to be a timeout issue: Hi, This problem has been driving me mad for around a year. I am an astro-photograper with large numbers of images that I file in folders which include date and target details in the name - typically something like "2021-09-06 M31 Andromeda Galaxy". The problem occurs when I...
  4. How to rename system folders?

How to rename system folders?: Somehow two of my system folders' names have been changed to 'Documents' instead of 'Downloads' and 'Videos'. How do I rename these folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-rename-system-folders/a323e748-e6c0-4b5c-8cac-4e3ebd93d004
  5. Unable to Rename Downloads folder

Unable to Rename Downloads folder: Hello - I managed to change my Downloads folder somehow to some jibberish like a series of jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj and spaces and more letters. I may have fallen asleep and my hand relaxed on the keyboard ;- but now I can't figure out how to change it back. Right click does not have...
  6. Cannot rename folder. Interface says that I cannot rename folder because a process or file...

Cannot rename folder. Interface says that I cannot rename folder because a process or file...: I have closed apps that could potentially keep the folder open. I have tried to change the folder permissions but the folder permissions reset to read only. I have even given administrative rights to my account for that folder. The folder does not want to be set to read...
  7. How to Rename User Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Rename User Folder in Windows 10: Hello there,I want to rename the User Folder, but I am unable to find best solution for it on the internet. Kindly help me with it.Also I want to know that if I rename the User Folder, will my apps which have their data in the user folder will stop working ??I have logged...
  8. Quick access renaming folders

Quick access renaming folders: Is it possible to change names of pinned folders WITHOUT changing the Quick access names in Explorer? I used to be able to do this in Win 7 with its Explorer's Favorites.I typically have one handy folder, such as Desktop\New Folder, where I put files which I copy or download....
  9. File Folder rename bug?

File Folder rename bug?: Dear all,Is this a bug or not?Have you ever tried to rename a file/folder and get this annoying behavior from Windows 10? See description below:Step 1: Select the file/folderStep 2: Press F2 or right-click on it and select "rename". Windows 10 highlights the whole name in...
  10. Cannot rename folder in register editor

Cannot rename folder in register editor: We changed Excel2016 to O365.Then third party's add-in for Excel failed to be installed.As add-in provider explains, the folder name in registry editor should be 15.0.0.0 under “policy.12.0.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel” but it remains 14.0.0.0. As I checked another PC,...