Windows 10: renaming folders

Discus and support renaming folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019.

1. renaming folders

I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the command prompt and using the "ren" function. This works, so obviously the folder can be renamed and does exist. This process is too long. I have already tried several of the remedies mentioned in the forum and help sites. When is there going to be a remedy that actually works?

I am running Windows 10 Pro and it is up to date.

:)

Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019

2. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Mar 15, 2019
  4. renaming folders

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

renaming folders

1. renaming folders - Similar Threads - renaming folders

2. Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 hangs when I create or rename a folder: If I right click on my desktop and go to new my computer freezes up for about 30 seconds. The box goes away and nothing happens. This makes it impossible to create a new folder on my desktop. Something I have been doing for many years. Before you suggest it is something wrong...
  3. Unable to rename a folder to COM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to rename a folder to COM: Hi friends Unable to rename a folder to "COM" Error "The specified device name is invalid" this picture of error https://3sotbar.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Capture.jpg...
  4. Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders renaming themselves!?!? See gif as proof: I copied some stuff and noticed that a folder - Pictures & Pets had seemingly renamed itself to Pictures without asking or even notifying me. See this gif I made that shows it in action. I've never seen anything like this before, and I've used Windows 12+ hours a day for...
  5. Can't rename folder in Win 10

Can't rename folder in Win 10: Some upgrade must have changed Win 10 re not being able to change the name of a folder. When I type the new name it will only take 3 letters then revert to 'New Folder'. If I don't try to type in a new name it reverts after a few seconds. It worked normally until just a...
  6. Rename Documents and Music folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename Documents and Music folders?: hi, just read this forum again and i'm not so sure if my problems related to this or not. Anyway, wanna know can i Rename the Folders and How can i do it. I've marked the folders that i want to rename in the picture. [img] this issue suddenly happens after the latest...
  7. How do I correct mispelled name in C:/Users folder? There is not rename option. It was...

How do I correct mispelled name in C:/Users folder? There is not rename option. It was...: How do I correct mispelled name in C:/Users folder? There is not rename option. It was created when I got the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-correct-mispelled-name-in-cusers-folder/cdcf1a0f-af2b-4fa5-a998-f2bcf1e5217b"
  8. When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...

When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...: I am using Windows File Explorer, Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude E5570. The screen flashes as I am typing the folder name and I may only get a few characters typed before it exits edit mode and shows my folder with a partially typed name. I have to try to rename many times...
  9. Renaming and moving folders

Renaming and moving folders: When, if ever, is Microsoft going to fix the highly annoying problem that prevents folders from being moved or renamed? This has existed for some times and all kinds of "fixes" can be found on the Web but none of them work. The only fix is to do it with the Run Command, but...
  10. How to rename Quick Access folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to rename Quick Access folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 Quick Access is a handy feature. It not only lists recent folders but also includes some system folders like documents, downloads, pictures and so on. If you ever wanted to rename Quick Access folders, we will guide you [...] This post How to...