Windows 10: renaming folders

Discus and support renaming folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file."... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019.

1. renaming folders

I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the command prompt and using the "ren" function. This works, so obviously the folder can be renamed and does exist. This process is too long. I have already tried several of the remedies mentioned in the forum and help sites. When is there going to be a remedy that actually works?

I am running Windows 10 Pro and it is up to date.

:)

Bubba1stein, Mar 15, 2019

2. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Mar 15, 2019
  4. renaming folders

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

renaming folders

1. renaming folders - Similar Threads - renaming folders

2. I need to change or Rename the folder C:\Users\<name> to C:\Users\<Mywish> . I'm using...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need to change or Rename the folder C:\Users\<name> to C:\Users\<Mywish> . I'm using...: Please Give me the details to rename the users name in C drive to my wish. Currently I only have one user and I have admin privileges. What steps I need to follow. ?...
  3. Default Downloads and Pictures folders are getting mixed up, renamed, combined

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Downloads and Pictures folders are getting mixed up, renamed, combined: Hi all, I recently made the switch from Mac to Windows, and so far so good—I got a Dell Inspiron 5680 and am loving it. I bought the computer with a small SSD and a large HDD, and to free up space on the SSD I want to move the default Libraries folders to the HDD. I...
  4. Windows has renamed files and folders into another language

Windows has renamed files and folders into another language: I have recently purchased a new computer and when buying it I always reset to get a fresh install. The issue is that it keeps re-naming folders in my one drive and my pc into what looks like Dutch. 6 years ago I used a computer I bought in the Nederlands that I used for two...
  5. Windows 10 Photo Folder Scrolling and Photo Renaming

Windows 10 Photo Folder Scrolling and Photo Renaming: When i scroll through my photo folders to the most recent it keeps jumping back to the oldest folder row! It's like there is a specific dwell time you are allowed before it goes back. When i try to rename a photo if it doesn't jump out of rename mode the changed text doesn't...
  6. Rename Folder for assigned to system user

Rename Folder for assigned to system user: I would appreciate some assistance with the change requested below: LAPTOP is connected to a network LAPTOP has a sign on account is connected to LAPTOP LAPTOP The has the following 3 folders are attached to LAPTOP impacted by the change request: - A1 - B2 - USERS...
  7. folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.

folder wont open and file wont copy because name has reserved characters and can't rename them.: I was copying some music from Linux to a external NTFS drive to transfer it to Windows but when trying to copy the files/folders, windows blocks me copying the files with '?' and folders with ':'. I got this error when trying to copy a file with '?': The file name you...
  8. Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue renaming User Folder Using Command Prompt: Hello, I recently had to get my computer fitted with a new hard drive after the old one crashed. I had a new one installed and got most of my files back, however one small difference was that my User folder in C:\Users was simply "User", as opposed to my first name as I had...
  9. Undo- all folders on desktop renamed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Undo- all folders on desktop renamed: Hello, Using Windows 10 I created a new folder on my desktop, renamed it to pictures, had a conflict with something in my recycle bin and clicked cancel. After that all my icons on my desktop changed to a variation of random (number). (Pictures 1-15) This happened to...
  10. Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders

Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders: Hi, I have a client who uses offline files on a laptop and has Windows 10, version 1803. He is not able to rename any of the files or folders under his redirected Users folder, which is set to use offline files. I have checked permissions and there are no issues there....