Windows 10: Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow

Discus and support Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I work with XML files which can be as large as 800 MB, sometimes larger. When I rename or move such a file on a M.2 SSD, 4GHz 8 core CPU,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GrindermanGrinderman, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow

Hello,

I work with XML files which can be as large as 800 MB, sometimes larger.

When I rename or move such a file on a M.2 SSD, 4GHz 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM windows explorer seems stuck and is unusable. I have enough time to switch to another window and do something else until its done.

I'm able to move the file into the target folder in Quick access multiple times which queues the file transfer window up multiple times. All of them don't progress at all until the whole file is moved.

Especially experiencing the lag for just renaming seems like a Windows issue. Is the Explorer or Defender trying to read and scan those files everytime I do something with them? Is the Windows Explorer communicating home before working? Shouldn't that be an instant process instead of a 20 seconds lag?

:)

GrindermanGrinderman, Apr 4, 2021
  2. DaveK Win User

Defrag: Move Large Files To End Of Drive?

Hey guys, I saw Defraggler has the option to move large files to the end of the drive, I picked movies (MKV/MP4 etc.)

Is it good to move these large files to the end of the drive? I'm assuming it's for less used files so it doesn't read them as fast or something?

Should I do this or just put it back to normal?

DaveK, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Renaming or moving files

No am trying to move or rename a Word or Excel file. It is on my computer. I have rebooted and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I rename and move files often so I do not want to have to reboot every time I do so.

CharlesCSmith, Apr 4, 2021
  4. mr. Adam Win User

Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow

C++ source code to compare XML files like ExamXML XML differ

I’m working on a Linux project that includes identifying changes between XML files and I need a source code on C++ to compare XML fragments.
    I’m using differencing tool ExamXML from A7Soft provides tools to compare XML documents to compare and merge XML files but this is Windows application.

Thanks.

mr. Adam, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow

1. Renaming/Moving large XML files is very slow - Similar Threads - Renaming Moving large

2. Rename multiple Xml files with unique reference number containing in it in bulk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename multiple Xml files with unique reference number containing in it in bulk: I have Xml file which have one unique reference id, I have to rename each Xml file with each unique reference number. Is there any way to rename all the Xml files with their Unique reference number at once?...
  3. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  4. Unable to rename a very large folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to rename a very large folder: One of our users has about 20-30 files including folders in his OneDrive. A couple of the folders are very large 100+GB. The problem is the user is unable to rename the top level folder. Get an error that is similar to "The number of items in this list exceeds the list view...
  5. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  6. Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow: Hi I've been having a problem with a delay Renaming, Deleting, Moving folder which takes at least about 12 seconds this does not happen for files only for the folder. Also if I log into administrator profile and then do Renaming, Deleting, Moving of a folder it works...
  7. Uniquely Renaming Large Batch of Files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uniquely Renaming Large Batch of Files: Hello team. Looking to see if anyone has any pointers for my situation at work: I have 90 PDF files that need to be renamed, each of them having unique names that have to deal with a supplier and consignee pair. I have a list of all of the file names in an excel sheet and...
  8. File manager very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File manager very slow: In the last week or so certain operations whilst using File Manager are going very slow. I'm using a fully updated version of Windows 10 on a PC. Opening a file manager window works okay, but clicking 'New Folder' takes 20 seconds for the folder to appear. Deleting a file to...
  9. Laptop gets very slow while copying/moving files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop gets very slow while copying/moving files: My laptop used to work great in every aspect on windows 10 days ago .... 2 days ago i installed linux mint to give it a try and formatted the hard disk, but i couldn't acclimate to linux os. so i downloaded W10 iso and did a fresh install...but i discovered that my laptop...
  10. File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files: Hi there If you have Loads (and I mean Loads) of small files - e-books, excel data. word docs, emails etc etc then File explorer runs REALLY slow on even fast devices I gave up moving this lot after about 4 hours. (W10 machine). Switched to Linux system -- did it in...