Windows 10: Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Discus and support Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PeterThomas6, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Hello,

Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following:

CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here

REN *.jpg *.tif

This changes every file that has a JPG extension to a TIF. I'm trying to replicate the same thing, but do it in a batch file, but I keep throwing an error that says "The system cannot find the file specified." I'm not sure if the syntax has to be different as a batch file as opposed to just typing it into Windows Command Line itself. Here is the code I have now:

title Image File Extension Change

ECHO Finding directory, please wait.

CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here

ECHO Renaming files, please wait.
    ren *.jpg *.tif
    pause

Thank you for the help!

:)

PeterThomas6, Aug 8, 2018
  2. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Aug 8, 2018
  3. Batch Files Knowledge Base

Very nice and usefull thanks for contributing.

AphexDreamer, Aug 8, 2018
  4. adrianx Win User

Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

Batch File Recognition

I use batch file to take multiple log file from the network at the boot time and to test the existence of diferent spyware in a network. I know basic, batch and that is ~ all that I know for now, but I'm at university... I must learn more.

adrianx, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

1. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File - Similar Threads - Renaming Multiple File

2. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  3. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  4. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...

rename multiple files in a batch script to a new extension keeping the old extension as...: I want to rename a file with a new extension but keep the exiting extension as part of the new file name. Example xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000 rename to xxxxxx.xxx.xxx.f000.123."ren * *.123" just replaces the .f000 with .123.I want to keep the .f000 as part of the new filename.The...
  6. batch rename files

in Windows 10 Support
    batch rename files: hello, id like to remove characters in file names... using cmd, ive been able to remove "." (the dot) and replace it with a space and but hopefully keep the extention id like bou.bou.bou.txt to be renamed to bou bou bou.txt i tried : ren *.*.??? * *.??? obviously i want to...
  7. Rename files in batch.

Rename files in batch.: Hi All.. I am having some files nearly 2000 in nos. in a particular folder. I just need to replace some portion. Is it possible that I can do it instantaneously.. if so please guide....Details are furnished below.Old file Name : P12478-12-71-41-1781-01.dwg...
  8. Is there a way to batch rename files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to batch rename files?: I have a file with pictures formatted as "A-B-C" and need to change all the dashes to underscore such as "A_B_C". Is there a way to do this as a batch in the folder somehow? submitted by /u/gingernuts13 [link] [comments]...
  9. How to Batch Rename files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Batch Rename files ?: I have a lot of files i want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, i want to give to other files. How do i do this in a batch process ? Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be...
  10. Batch Rename Deletes Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Batch Rename Deletes Files: Hey all, I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and I've been playing around with the new File Explorer. One thing I tried was the batch rename function (by which I mean just selecting multiple files and clicking "rename"). I quickly realized that it behaves differently...