Windows 10: Renaming PC creates extra ID

Discus and support Renaming PC creates extra ID in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've searched Tutorials and Tips&Tricks but cannot find this topic. (Maybe you can!) Problem with renaming Dell XPS-9560. I renamed from the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by clemenzina, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Renaming PC creates extra ID

I've searched Tutorials and Tips&Tricks but cannot find this topic. (Maybe you can!)

Problem with renaming Dell XPS-9560.

I renamed from the generic name assigned by Windows to the name of the model, and then could not log back in due to "wrong password" (despite having set it not to require a password). Contacted Support, and 3 operatives later it was fixed. I found that two different accounts had been created.

However, after doing a factory reset a new generic name had been assigned and when I renamed it I was back to the 2 log-ins.

How can I change the name of my laptop from old to new, without creating another a/c?

So frustrating! Grateful for any help.

:)

clemenzina, Mar 25, 2018
  2. grschinon Win User

Nokia 2600 Question

That is defined by your current theme.

If you have any extra themes on your phone try and get the .nth files onto your PC by transferring them via bluetooth. They are in fact renamed .zip archives containing an XML file defining the theme and any extra media such as wallpaper, ringtone, screensaver
    etc. It's easy enough to create your own themes from scratch and thus get the colour you want.

grschinon, Mar 25, 2018
  3. How to rename a folder in Windows 10 Windows Explorer?

In Windows Explorer when a New Folder is created it can not be renamed without closing Windows Explorer first. This problem has only appeared in the last month. Before then if a new folder was created it could be renamed at the time of creation. When trying
    to download or save a new file this is a problem as I have to stop the download or new file save until the extra steps are taken.

JamesMcClure419, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Renaming PC creates extra ID

It sounds like you are trying to change a user account instead of the computer account, I think. You can't have two different computer accounts at the same time, so that's why I am making the previous statement.

Right-click the Start Menu icon, and choose System. You'll see a button for Rename This PC. Assuming this computer isn't on a corporate domain, you shouldn't have any issues doing so.

DeaconFrost, Mar 25, 2018
  5. Post a screen shoot of exactly what your changing please. I do the "Rename this Computer" all the time with no issues.

alphanumeric, Mar 26, 2018
  6. I've done it for years with no issues, too :-/ The screenshots refer to the laptop I'm now working on, the problem laptop is a Clevo W230SS (not the Dell as I mistakenly posted), that one was renamed OK) that I just use for screen-capturing video and I use the same method to rename it.

Hmm, I attached pics via URL, it didn't work, here they are uploaded.

No they're not *Sad Can't get the Upload button to respond.

I go to Advanced System Settings > System Properties > Computer Name and change it there.

clemenzina, Mar 26, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    I'm not clear what you did here. Are you saying you used netplwiz to automatically log user on?
    Like this I mean: Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Windows 10 Tutorials

Or some other method?

Then you changed name of the PC (that seems clear).

If you did, you could try running netplwiz again as your user has changed from OLD_PC_NAME\You to NEW_PC_NAME\You. Toggle the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box a few times hitting apply in between.

The same name duplication on lock screen happens if you change from local to Microsoft account so your logon credential is changed to You@Outlook.com

By the way you can include a picture by clicking on this button, select "From Computer" and it will upload it and put View attachment 12345 or some such number in your reply so yu can place it where you want.

*Arrow How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

Renaming PC creates extra ID [​IMG]

8. Renaming PC creates extra ID

I do believe he went to Control Panel > view by large icons > System > Advanced system settings > Computer Name Tab > Change. That's where I do it. I go there anyway to change my Workgroup name at the same time.

alphanumeric, Mar 26, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    It was this bit I picked up on - renaming was not the problem it was the subsequent sign on.

10. That's what I did and have always done.

lx07 - I use netplwiz to turn off "password required".

After changing the user name and rebooting, I get two user names in the bottom left corner of the screen, both the same name (mine) but requiring different passwords, so I have to ensure I click on the one that accepts the password I know, which is my Microsoft a/c or a PIN.

The situation now is that the laptop has the generic DESKTOP-****** name issued by Windows and I don't have to log in on boot-up, but it gets up my nose. For one thing, I don't have any desktops, plus all the folders that it saves to across the network have its 3-year-old name W230SS, and that's what I want the laptop to be called.

The tutorial you've linked for me (thank you) I'm confused by, maybe it's covering too many scenarios. I need to find some time to concentrate and follow my particular path. Another problem is that I'm not in that "world" at the mo, but very much in a ton of video editing problems *Confused

It says:

4. To Turn Off Automatic Sign in for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box, and click/tap on OK.

That seems illogical, so I'm nervous of doing anything now.

However, I'm sure I've been thru the "turn off password required" in both computer names but that hasn't worked.

I was hoping for a (1) Do this, and (2) Do that, and (3) Bingo! solution *chuckle

clemenzina, Mar 27, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 27, 2018
  12. That's the tutorial that lx07 pointed me to and which I am finding confusing, Brink:

[I had to delete this bit, as I obviously wasn't reading it right until I'd copied it in here!]

I shall revisit the topic when the recalcitrant laptop has a significant free period *Wink

clemenzina, Mar 27, 2018
  13. lx07 Win User

Renaming PC creates extra ID

It is really easy.

Tick the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and press apply.
    Untick the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and press apply
    Tick again the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and press apply
    Then (assuming you don't want to enter a password), yet again, untick the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

The idea here is to make it forget the old PC name/user credentials and remember the new one. When you "untick" the box it makes you put in your password.

There is no risk to do this and it only takes a minute. Worst case is you type the password wrong and it doesn't work in which case you can try again.

14. lx07, you are so kind - but do I change the name to the desired name before going thru that process?

clemenzina, Mar 28, 2018
  15. lx07 Win User
    Yes, that right. Best of luck!

Thema:

Renaming PC creates extra ID

1. Renaming PC creates extra ID - Similar Threads - Renaming creates extra

2. Creating a replacement login id

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a replacement login id: For a long time, I have had my Outlook account to log into my laptops. I also use it for everyday email.I want to change my login ID so that it does not match my everyday email address.What is the best way for me to create a new login ID for my Windows 10 & 11 laptops to give...
  3. How to rename a window created by a process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rename a window created by a process?: I wish to rename the window not the executable, I tried to unpack the executable using 7z, which did work, but then it give me this:I then tried to open these .* files using notepad, and it only give me random characters. When I searched the name of the window, there is no...
  4. Rename this PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename this PC: My new laptop came with the name DESKTOP-URNJKE4 which is totally meaningless to me. I went into settings and tried to change the name to LAPTOP-DELL XPS 15. I get the message "One or more of the characters you typed won't work. Try something else." the instructions say I...
  5. Extra pc at home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Extra pc at home: Hi, I just upgraded my main Win 10 PC with a new motherboard and processor for graphic work. I thought I could put my old motherboard in a case and keep it for emailing and web stuff as I don't want to clutter up my new one. Do I have to buy another copy of Windows for that?...
  6. Creating an admin account/ Renaming my PC??

Creating an admin account/ Renaming my PC??: Alright so im trying to change the name of my pc and switch my local account to an admin account. But I have windows 10 and I don't see the "Family & Other People" option in the settings. Keep in mind im on this pc on a local account....
  7. Renaming PC

Renaming PC: Did the steps to rename my pc but when I restarted the computer it didn't change on my screen. Went back in to re-do it but it was showing the new name. So, I restarted again to see if it would change on my log in screen and it didn't. Old name shows when waking the pc to...
  8. Creating an admin account/ Renaming my PC??

Creating an admin account/ Renaming my PC??: Alright so im trying to change the name of my pc and switch my local account to an admin account. But I have windows 1083 and I don't see the "Family & Other People" option in the settings. Keep in mind im on this pc on a local account....
  9. Extra partitions created by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra partitions created by Windows 10: I downloaded the iso and installed 10 over 7, doing the clean install option instead of an upgrade. After everything setup, I noticed some extra partitions were created that 7 did not have. Both are on my main C: drive. One is 450 MB labeled "Recovery Partition". After that...
  10. Win10 Clean Install Creates Extra Profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Clean Install Creates Extra Profile: Hello, I did a clean install of Win10 x64 after completely wiping the HDD clean using diskpart...clean all. Everything installed ok it seems, but for an extra mysterious profile, so there are three where there always used to be two in any installation: Default...