Windows 10: Renaming the user folder under c:\users

Discus and support Renaming the user folder under c:\users in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gil, Oct 7, 2019.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

Renaming the user folder under c:\users

Hi all.

As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL).

the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long.
    Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name at the end of my username.

Is it possible? and if yes, what is the safest way to rename it?

:)

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 7, 2019
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hello!

Is it possible ton rename the user folder without generating a mess in the system? Here is an example to explain my question:

Let's say the user's name is Sebastian. When Windows is creating an new account on a computer, the system creates a folder called 'sebast' in C:\Users. (C:\Users\sebast)

If Sebastian wants to rename this folder in C:\Users\Sebastian (for aesthetic reason), is it possible? How?

Thank's in advance for any help Renaming the user folder under c:\users :)

Gwenddoleu, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Rohn007 Win User

User folder renaming

By "user" folder do you mean the folder in C:\Users\ that is the root for your windows account? That can't be renamed easily. The easiest way I know of is the "brute force" approach", to simply create a completely new userid.

Rohn007, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Renaming the user folder under c:\users - Similar Threads - Renaming user folder

2. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  3. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  4. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  5. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  6. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  7. Unknown users folder under C:\Users\

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown users folder under C:\Users\: Hey So I noticed that I have my usual user folder in C:\Users\user and then another one which is basically C:\Users\user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx. The weird thing is that user.LAPTOP-xxxxxxxx is not the name of my laptop at all if I check under system information. Where is this...
  8. Rename Computer folder under User?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename Computer folder under User?: Hello, i once created a folder under my c drive and named it test. Use Windows 10. If I click on it, right mouse button, is there no possibility to rename it? How can I do this? Do I go to properties and I don't find anything about them? [ATTACH] Computer...
  9. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...
  10. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...