Windows 10: renaming user folder?

Discus and support renaming user folder? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by surfer2938, Feb 13, 2021.

1. renaming user folder?

I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder?

Tia

Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804)

:)

surfer2938, Feb 13, 2021

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Feb 13, 2021
  3. User Folder Renamed

It is totally unclear what you did and how. The fact is that Windows will not let you rename your profile folder while you are logged on. The only way goes like this. Note that this is is an unsupported operation that could cause serious problems:

1. Log on under a different account, one that has admin privileges.
    2. Rename the folder C:\Users\Nath to C:\Users\Nathan
    3. Adjust certain keys in the registry to reflect the change.

Now please report exactly what you did.

Frederik Long, Feb 13, 2021
  4. renaming user folder?

files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

renaming user folder?

1. renaming user folder? - Similar Threads - renaming user folder

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  4. Renaming user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming user folder: Hello, is there any option to rename my user folder from C:\Users\miele to C:\Users\Bartek? Why is that? Because when i logged in into my MS account, it cutted off the part miele from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** which annoys me. Can someone PLEASE give me an...
  5. renaming user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  6. User Folder Renamed

User Folder Renamed: I just renamed my user folder in Windows 10 admin mode without understanding what that would do. Now i cannot access all my old files. How can I recover my work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-folder-renamed/cca273bc-0d0f-42cc-a140-5c4775f1da2f
  7. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  8. Rename the user Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename the user Folder: I'm trying to change the name of my user folder but i can't. Instead of that only apperars my hotmail like the user and i cannot do anything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-the-user-folder/668e0f06-6683-4908-b2b0-572afdac2733
  9. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello, it's not much of an issue just a personal preference, however how would I go about to changing my user folder name? Thanks. 34760
  10. Rename user folder?

Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699