Windows 10: Renaming user profile

Discus and support Renaming user profile in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My User Profile was created during the building of the computer by a 3rd party and now appears as C:\Users\OEM.DESKTOP-V87UE3B. How can I change this... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chuxnz, Oct 30, 2018.

1. chuxnz Win User

Renaming user profile

My User Profile was created during the building of the computer by a 3rd party and now appears as C:\Users\OEM.DESKTOP-V87UE3B.
    How can I change this to reflect my name etc
    chux

:)

chuxnz, Oct 30, 2018
  2. Rose Cal Win User

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 30, 2018
  3. How to completely delete the files and folders of the corrupted profile and rename the same user profile name in the newly created user profile in Windows 10?

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: You can delete the files and folders from the corrupted user from
    File explorer by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File explorer.

• Click on This PC located at the left side panel of the window to open the drives of the PC.

• Go to users folder by opening the
      C: drive.

• From users folder, locate the user folder you want to delete and
      press Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard.

• After the process is complete, close the window and check if the files and folders are deleted.

Method 2: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by
    Annu Singh from the link below to rename the user profile and check if it helps.

Rename User Account Folder in Windows 10 Preview

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Renaming user profile

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

Renaming user profile

1. Renaming user profile - Similar Threads - Renaming user profile

2. Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User: I followed a tutorial on YouTube that showed me how to rename my Users folder name thru Registry Editor. After renaming, I restarted my PC and my computer was blank besides what was left over in my old Users profile. I copied and pasted all the files back onto my profile, but...
  3. Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User: I followed a tutorial on YouTube that showed me how to rename my Users folder name thru Registry Editor. After renaming, I restarted my PC and my computer was blank besides what was left over in my old Users profile. I copied and pasted all the files back onto my profile, but...
  4. Windows 10 User Profile Resets After Reboot After Renaming User

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update has renamed my profile to 'USER': I recently had a terrible Windows Update that signed me into an account called 'user' and hid all my files from me. Somehow that fixed itself; however, despite being logged in under my e-mail, the computer considers me 'USER' with a blank picture despite having signed in....
  6. Renaming User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming User: I want to rename the 'maanv' folder but when I select it the rename option is not there. Help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-user/bbacc48a-dba1-4e2c-bb73-a793f6e789ab
  7. Start Menu search is blank after renaming user profile folder

Start Menu search is blank after renaming user profile folder: [ATTACH] How to rename the User folder in Windows 10? - Super User I followed the procedure in the link above to rename profile. After re-logging in with renamed user, start menu search stopped working. What should I do? I tried re-creating windows search index, ran...
  8. What to do after renaming the user profile name ?

What to do after renaming the user profile name ?: Initially i named my pc with space "firstname lastname" . I figured i should change it. After changing the name , i have problems running python and other programs which initially had the path with name with space . I tried changing the path manually in the environment...
  9. User Profile Rename

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Profile Rename: im currently using a windows 10 home os ( build 1809 ) and under the user folder it spelled my name wrong, i would like to know how do i rename the usesr folder? and by doing so will it affect any applications thats already installed in the device?...
  10. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...