Windows 10: Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source

Discus and support Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 on PC. Do you also need full version? 1903 (OS Build 18362.476) I read an old thread with suggestions and explanations,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by silvanet, Dec 5, 2019.

1. silvanet Win User

Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 on PC. Do you also need full version? 1903 (OS Build 18362.476)

I read an old thread with suggestions and explanations, and a forum suggestion the thread was very old and I might start a new one.

I've had my Canon Lide 25 scanner running perfectly for years. The Canon Toolbox software was for Windows 7 and 32 bit but has run all along on my 64 bit installation without problems. I don't recall but I think I installed it to run in compatibility mode.

I know Windows has caused this. I read an article in their Hardware Dev Center on twain of them announcing in 2017 that they no longer ship twain data sources with Windows and saying they only accept WIA drivers for scanners. Full dropping could not be far behind.

This was working until days ago. Someone in the old thread found that rolling back updates got their scanner to work.

Before reading that depressing Microsoft news in the Hardware Dev Center, I tried updating the driver, setting the path to make sure it's located, disabling, enabling, re-installing, everything.

Can anyone help with this NOW?

After my attempted re-installation, in the events for the device properties there are three events all with the same timestamp. They seem to be in this order:
    ID 430 from Kernel-PnP
    Device USB\VID_04A9&PID_2220\5&2effdc72&0&10 requires further installation.
    ID 20003 with task category 7005 from UserPnp
    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service usbscan for Device Instance ID USB\VID_04A9&PID_2220\5&2EFFDC72&0&10 with the following status: 0.
    ID 20001 Task Category 7005 from UserPnp
    Driver Management concluded the process to install driver cnql25.inf_amd64_c16af4b8fc1a4b7f for Device Instance ID USB\VID_04A9&PID_2220\5&2EFFDC72&0&10 with the following status: 0x0.

None of them are Errors or Warnings. They're all Information Level events.

I'm assuming the driver installed. Am I wrong?

When I unplug and plug the scanner I hear the USB connection chime. and the usual whirring sounds like the scanner is initializing.

But when I click to scan something, I get the immediate popup:

Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source [​IMG]

Please any help?

:)

silvanet, Dec 5, 2019
  2. CalBear37 Win User

Unable to open TWAIN source

CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly I get "Unable to open TWAIN source Please check connection Then re-start Toolbox" Unplugging and plugging the connection the computer gives the little beeps acknowledging the connection. However I still get the same error message and the associated "Toolbox" software doesn't recognize the scanner. Re-boot the computer no help. What does "fix" it is System Restore (one of Windows great features). The most recent restore point even has the same Win 10 update status so the problem doesn't seem to be an update. I checked scanner operation each day since the previous "fix" and it worked well for 3 days, now it doesn't. The scanner works fine on my 4-year old Dell XPS8100 running Windows 10 and the exact level of update.

There are no new drivers. Cannon says the scanner doesn't need a driver, its included in Win 10. I can delete the driver, reboot and the driver is back so I guess that's true.

Any suggestions about kick starting TWAIN would be appreciated.

CalBear37, Dec 5, 2019
  3. John C Win User

Thank you Fabrizio!

This had been driving me nuts. My LIDE 60 scanner had been working perfectly with my HP Envy laptop until I upgraded Windows 10 to build 1607, and then I got the error message about Twain. The Windows troubleshooter insisted that it was a USB3 problem. I do not have USB2 on the laptop, but easily disproved that theory by using the scanner on a desktop running the same operating system, with no difficulty under both USB2 and USB3. Reinstalling the drivers made no difference, but editing the Path variable as you suggested solved the problem instantly. It is disappointing that the troubleshooter should have missed something so basic - yet so obscure for people not familiar with DOS.

John C, Dec 5, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

TWAIN is now "deprecated" in W10 -- if you still need TWAIN you'll have to either install W7 / XP / VISTA Virtual machine and run your scanner from there. Windows now uses WIA for "acquisition" type stuff -- i.e getting image from scanner etc.

TWAIN Compatibility (Windows Drivers)

Alternatively there's a piece of Paid software that still keeps these old scanners running --haven't used it for agaes but it was very good from what I remember

VUESCAN

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

If you managed to get that scanner working before on W10 you must have been quite lucky or the driver was still working. TWAIN as scanner technology is not supported any more by Ms. The software is using WIA in some sort of compatibilty mode -- which *might* or *might not* work depending on all sorts of factors.

If you like the scanner the VUESCAN option seems to be the best - for most normal functions it will cost you USD 35 or so -- or around 22 GBP / 30 EUR.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source - Similar Threads - Renewed Scanner unable

2. Temporary user ID and "twain source error"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Temporary user ID and "twain source error": When I powered up my computer, it said it had to open with a temporary user profile. I now have a "shell" platform to operate with. How do I get my regular log in user ID back and my programs. My files are still on the computer under my user name. But the computer only...
  3. Unable to establish scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to establish scanner: After major update of 2004 my brother printer and scanner both have shut down and they dont work at all. I reached out to brother and they said its due to the update and asked to contact you guys. Could you guys help? Thanks in advance...
  4. update TWAIN driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    update TWAIN driver: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't download my cell phone pics using Microsoft Picture It Photo Premium 9. It says that the TWAIN driver is outdated. How do I fix this? I am using a Toshiba Satellite C55-A....
  5. TWAIN-compliant

in Windows 10 Customization
    TWAIN-compliant: While scanning I get this error " "There is no TWAIN-compliant device installed. How to get rid of this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/twain-compliant/c9120d9f-7981-4e88-bf81-52ee795a979d
  6. Twain Drivers

Twain Drivers: Is there a link to a location where I can download the Twain Driver for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/twain-drivers/f45625ae-896b-431c-966e-574d27b9f9cf
  7. Twain

Twain: When I open a .jpg file, I first get this message: [img] . Is there a good web site for finding out how to do that (re-installing the Twain drivers) in Windows 10? 124680
  8. Twain

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Twain: When I open a .jpg file, I first get this message: [img] . Is there a good web site for finding out how to do that (re-installing the Twain drivers) in Windows 10? 124680
  9. Unable to open TWAIN source

Unable to open TWAIN source: CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly I get "Unable to open TWAIN source Please check connection Then re-start Toolbox" Unplugging and plugging the connection the...
  10. Win10 mulitple scanners and Firefox naming source

Win10 mulitple scanners and Firefox naming source: Hello all, Annoying problem : I have multiple MFC printer/scanners in my office. Some are identical units; for instance, Brother MFC 2700s. When adding the MFCs onto the local workstations for users, the printer adds are fairly straightforward with assigning an IP printer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows\twain_64\cnql25