Windows 10: Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi

Discus and support Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded the machine with an SSD, fan, Middleton BIOS (for the SSD) and clean Win10--now it's a great backup to my P50. However, while the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by markg2, Aug 28, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi

I recently upgraded the machine with an SSD, fan, Middleton BIOS (for the SSD) and clean Win10--now it's a great backup to my P50. However, while the machine has no problem connecting to the network and internet with Ethernet--turning on the radios switch and using WiFi, the machine will lose connection within a few hours at most.

The OEM is an Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN which Intel no longer supports. The OS reports no problem with the it.

Since the machine was shipped with Vista 32 bit and later upgraded to Win7 32 bit then Win7 64 bit I'm sure that when I did the hardware upgrade and installed Win10 that was a compatibility problem for the WiFi card.

I downloaded Intel's newest driver set (Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 Date: 17-Aug-2017 Version: Latest (Latest) OS: Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows 7, 64-bit*, Windows Vista 32*) that does not support Win10. The problem remains.

Does anyone know if there is a driver written by another company that is also compatible with the Intel card and Win10?

Worst comes to worst I'll just use a cable connect with the T61 but I'd much rather ($ and difficulty permitting) prefer to have the WiFi back functioning.

Suggestions?

:)

markg2, Aug 28, 2017
  2. muruneko Win User

Lotus Notes 8 : PC Sync fails to truncate calendar and fails

BTW, N73 is connected with my PC (ThinkPad T61) using Bluetooth (WIDCOMM).

muruneko, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Bookshesi Win User
    After Windows 10 Anniversary Update can't read USB drives

Yes, and similar. One is a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 15.4" 6459-CTO, the other is a Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" 7663-CTO. They both use the Intel PM965 chipset with the ICH-8M southbridge. One was upgraded to 10 from 7 after being used for years, the other, just
    installed 7, then immediately installed 10.

Bookshesi, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi

Find an older driver. Something around Feb 2014.

Create a restore pointand I would recommend a System Image so you have full fallback capability.

Check current driver version, load older, confirm it took. If it works for a while and then stops see if Windows helped you by updating driver. If so you will have to tell Windows to layoff the driver updates.

You might also try disabling IPv6 with current driver and see if that helps.

Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 28, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    Why not disable the Intel WiFi adapter and just do a USB wireless adapter?

markg2, Aug 28, 2017
  6. You could do that.

You might even look into replacing radio with a newer radio. They make adapter to mount the half height cards in the full cards slots.

Your idea is the easiest and very cost effective.

Did you try disabling IPv6?

Caledon Ken, Aug 29, 2017
  7. markg2 Win User
    Regarding disabling IPv6--After reading all the caveats on your link related to disabling I opted for trying (for me) the easiest alternative--USB.

I looked into replacing the chipset but that's fraught with potential problems given my third party BIOS and it likely not having a similar whitelist to that of Lenovo.

I'll let you know how the USB turns out.

markg2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi

1. Rennovated Thinkpad T61 drops WiFi - Similar Threads - Rennovated Thinkpad T61

2. Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows: Hi, I just got a refurbished Thinkpad Yoga L13 Gen 4. It came with no os, so I installed linux on it, had 0 issues, but now that I want to try installing windows 10 or 11 normally, but whenever I get to the network screen, there are no networks I can connect to. So I tried...
  3. Wifi drops intermittently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi drops intermittently: Hi, before I had no problems with the Wi-Fi signal anywhere in my house. But since I got the SSD, even being within 2 feet of the router, my signal will randomly lose strength or cut off completely. It mostly happens while watching Netflix. No other device on the network has...
  4. Dropping wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dropping wifi: On my home network (private), I have a laptop that I store files on. I transfer files over wifi to this computer. The laptop that I am transferring with drops wifi after 5 minutes, this happens continuously. This is the only time it drops wifi, while transferring files. Here...
  5. wifi drops connection

wifi drops connection: The issue occurs every now and then. Wifi drops connection when my PC is idle. So I have to click the wifi button and press disconnect and then press reconnect. The issue is really annoying...
  6. Wifi Dropping

Wifi Dropping: Hello, So I got a laptop HP Envy 17 and my wifi keeps dropping without telling me. I tried troubleshooting my network and it still does that. I tried updating and reinstalling my network driver but that didn't help either. My router doesn't have any problems so I know it...
  7. Dropping wifi

Dropping wifi: I am a Windows 10 user with a Dell laptop. For some reason and for some time now my computer keeps losing my router and dropping the wifi signal without warning; usually it reconnects after a pause, though not always. Other devices, both Apple and PC, never not have this...
  8. Wifi dropping??

Wifi dropping??: Okay so a couple months ago my laptop (asus x541uak) started dropping my wifi connection. As in saying there were no networks, big red x, even though the wifi is totally fine. It went away after a while. Well it's back with a vengeance. it will connect for however long it...
  9. Thinkpad T60 & T61 snafu - apps go to own active windows w/ W10 64bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thinkpad T60 & T61 snafu - apps go to own active windows w/ W10 64bit: I'm running Windows 10 64bit on two Lenovo Thinkpads, a T60 and a T61, and with each, when using the trackpad, frequently a touch on the pad (don't know exactly what!!!) causes all open applications to appear in side by side equal sized windows. On these machines I run apps...
  10. Thinkpad T60 & T61 snafu - apps go to own active windows w/ W10 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    Thinkpad T60 & T61 snafu - apps go to own active windows w/ W10 64bit: I'm running Windows 10 64bit on two Lenovo Thinkpads, a T60 and a T61, and with each, when using the trackpad, frequently a touch on the pad (don't know exactly what!!!) causes all open applications to appear in side by side equal sized windows. On these machines I run apps...