Windows 10: Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot...

Discus and support Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have never posted here before so please forgive me if I am unfamiliar with the proper etiquette. I have tried to give a brief overview of steps I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Smithyy2075, May 15, 2020.

1. Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot...

I have never posted here before so please forgive me if I am unfamiliar with the proper etiquette.

I have tried to give a brief overview of steps I have taken in case I have done anything daft and also my uneducated guess as to what might be the problem. An even briefer summary of that is as follows:

I suspect that Asstor64.sys showing a DPC routine execution time of upwards of 71000micro-seconds is causing system interrupts repeatedly and these are long enough to cause the system to crash. I know I don't really understand the words I have just said

BRIEF BACKGROUND

- I started experiencing video playback stuttering and audio buzzing after replacing my CPU cooler may well be unrelated I am not very knowledgeable.

- I initially started by trying different audio ports/HDMI combinations, checking for driver updates.

- The stuttering got progressively worse.

- At the worst points the system began freezing for anything from 1-20secs. Varying from unresponsive individual programs to totally frozen and unable launch task manager or get any response at all.

- These led to blue screen crashes. On two occasions they then resulted in boot loops that only ever showed the blue ***** loading splash screen before crashing again and then attempting system restore with varying success.

- Often then upon booting successfully the system would start to hang and then crash with in minutes.

I have very limited technical understanding and have spent the last week trying to use google to research possible causes/solutions.

Occasionally the system boots and is stable. It currently is and I cant seem to do anything to cause an issue, but a restart or the next time I turn it on after a full shutdown there seems to be a 9/10 chance it will re-occur and crash the system with varying impact. From simple reboot to barely able to boot into safe mode.

CURRENT IDEA OF ISSUE

I saw several forums with similar seeming issues recommend running LatencyMon among others to monitor the system.

After more than 70 hours the only consistent issue that correlates with the crashes I can find is LatencyMon shows Asstor64.sys regularly with a DPC routine execution time of upwards of 71000micro-seconds. I don't know what that is but everything else when stable rarely shows execution times of more than 150micro-seconds so that seems like it maybe related to or the cause of the issue.

- I have checked my Motherboard manufacturers website and updated the related driver and also run a driver repair. I have also updated the other available system drivers from the manufactures site and checked for updates through Device manager.

- The CPU and GPU temps stay around 25-30C at all times

- The CPU usage rarely peaks above 15% during the stuttering.

- However Task manager does show a process called 'system interrupts' go from 0.1% CPU usage while stable to upwards of 12% when stuttering is peaking.

- The RAM usage sits around 30% and doesn't spike noticeably during the stuttering peaks.

My limited and vague understanding is that Asstor64.sys is a process related to the driver for the SATA ports on my motherboard, which interface with the HDD, SSDs and the ODD.

- Disconnecting the ODD had no affect.

- Disconnecting the HDD seemed to help initially but then the issues returned.

- Rebooting seems to consistently result in an unstable system.

- Shutting down and then powering back on from the power button also seems to result in an unstable system

- Shutting down then unplugging the PC power supply for 20 seconds or so, waiting until all Motherboard lights turn off and the plugging it back in and turning it on with the power button seems to be the only way to get a stable system but uncertain if this is related or coincidental.

I don't even know if this is the right place to ask for help but if you got this far thank you for reading this and any information you could give or if you could point me to a resource that I could use to attempt to resolve this issue I would be grateful.

SYSTEM DETAILS

MotherBoard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula/Watchdogs

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz

RAM: 16GB

HDD: Seagate Barracude ST2000DM001

SSD1: Crucial CT240M500SSD1

SSD2: Crucial CT512MX100SSD1

:)

Smithyy2075, May 15, 2020
  2. MrOctober Win User

Video Stutter/Buzz In Audio

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting stuttering video and a buzz in the audio. It started with listening to Spotify, the audio with just buzz for a few seconds then the PC would crash, no blue screen it would just restart. The reboots have stopped, but now the video is stuttering and when it stutters, there is a buzz in the audio.

It's a Ryzen 1600, ASRock B450 Pro, 16GB ram, RX 560 GPU. I updated the chipset, GPU and audio drivers. Nothing helped. Rebooting will fix it temporarily, but the problem eventually returns.

Windows 10

MrOctober, May 15, 2020
  3. Benjoyo Win User
    All audio/video is stuttering

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64.
    Sometimes, without any obvious reason or trigger, all audio and video playback - no matter if it's youtube, VLC, Spotify, the Windows sounds - starts stuttering uniformly and does not stop until reboot.

I have installed the latest graphics, chipset and audio drivers - no change.

[edit] WPR result: Dropbox - Result.rar - Simplify your life

Benjoyo, May 15, 2020
  4. Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot...

Win10 Audio and video stutter

Hi,

I have tried everything and have not found a solution. About a week ago I played around with the Windows audio enhancements while listening to youtube videos - no issues from that. Then, with my HDD running very slowly (has been for a while), I installed
    Acronis True Image and cloned my HDD to an SSD and another HDD. Afterwards, all three now have a distinct audio stutter.

No other hardware changes have been made. I have googled every guide I can find. I have uninstalled & reinstalled every driver that I can think of. I have uninstalled Acronis. I have played with the Windows power settings. I have tried AHCI in the BIOS (just
    blue screens). I have uninstalled Windows updates, and nothing makes any difference. It affects youtube videos, as well as local music and video files on my HDD/SSD.

Tried uninstalling Acronis and it is no better. I test using a youtube stutter/judder test (which is a spinning symbol) and the audio stutters (from a separate youtube clip) line up with the video stutter. I have also run youtube audio clips, local movie
    & audio files etc, and they all stutter.

Has anyone had an issue like this and resolved it? Reinstalling Win10 would be a pain. I upgraded from Win7 and I don't think that I bought an install disk at the time.

Evan

evangharvey, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot...

1. Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot... - Similar Threads - Reoccurring intermittent audio

2. HEVC video has stuttered playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HEVC video has stuttered playback: The problem persists for more than 2 years. It was in Windows 10, now it successfully migrated to the new Windows 11. Any video encoded in HEVC has stuttering playback like 10 frames play forward, then 5 goes back and the solution of this obviously awful codec error have not...
  3. HEVC video has stuttered playback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC video has stuttered playback: The problem persists for more than 2 years. It was in Windows 10, now it successfully migrated to the new Windows 11. Any video encoded in HEVC has stuttering playback like 10 frames play forward, then 5 goes back and the solution of this obviously awful codec error have not...
  4. Video and audio stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video and audio stuttering: I recently bought a brand new pc - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X AM4 Tray Corsair DDR 4 64G 32Gx2 3200 CL16 Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler Special Edition for AM4 Asus PRIME X570-PRO A-DATA SSD 2TB XPG Spectrix S40G RGB M.2 2280 Corsair iCUE 465X RGB...
  5. Stuttering video playback on iTunes for Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Stuttering video playback on iTunes for Windows 10: Stuttered and unwatchable video playback. No issues with my music files. I have a brand new Acer Aspire 3 laptop ie no malware running Windows 10. i have uninstalled and re-installed iTunes 12.10.8.2 really painful process I do not want to do this again!. I have experimented...
  6. No audio or video playback.

No audio or video playback.: My laptop has Windows 10 home. The audio and video is not working. Widows updates are current. I have run the windows troubleshooter and laptop diagnostics but to no avail. Please can someone advise if this is a windows issue and how I can fix it? Many thanks...
  7. Video Playback & Audio Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Playback & Audio Problems: Whenever I try to watch videos on youtube, my laptop won't play them and just keep loading. Every time I try, the audio function stops working and then the video will play. I have ran the troubleshoot for the audio and it says it's fixed but then the video won't play again....
  8. Stuttering Video Playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuttering Video Playback: I have a PC Laptop with Windows 10. Since the most recent update in November, my videos have not played smoothly, instead they start and stop constantly, whether it's Chrome, Firefox, the DVD player or the Netflix app. I have tried updating the apps, installing different...
  9. video playback stuttering

video playback stuttering: video playback stuttering https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-stuttering/db841da1-dc0c-4e93-bba9-dd619955dbbe
  10. Intermittent video stuttering across multiple platforms.

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent video stuttering across multiple platforms.: Hi. After i upgraded to win10 i've encountered a problem i can't seem to figure out what is causing it. This happens on youtube in firefox, on twitch in opera and in vlc playing local files (all apps are latest version) But it's not a constant issue, it's intermittent. So...