Windows 10: Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc

Discus and support Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm looking at possibly coming back from OS X to Win10. (1909 I believe) I've reset my Win10 machine & am setting back up, but one of the things I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by greatcapp, Feb 29, 2020.

1. greatcapp Win User

Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc

I'm looking at possibly coming back from OS X to Win10. (1909 I believe)

I've reset my Win10 machine & am setting back up, but one of the things I really like about OS X is when I have to reboot, all of my Apps that are active on my system, all reopen automatically, on the correct virtual desktops, and the same size/order etc that they were when I rebooted.

After searching for a Windows method to do this (I notice most people seem to actually want to switch this off), the solution seems to be SETTINGS/ACCOUNTS/SIGN IN OPTIONS/Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device & reopen my apps after an update & restart.

Trouble is, it doesn't really seem to be working for me.

So far, I've set up Chrome, Microsoft News, Calendar, Sky Go and a couple of others, but the only app that actually reopens is Chrome.

Am I doing it wrong? Have I missed something?

If there's no working solution in Windows, is there a 3rd party app that might do it for me?

:)

greatcapp, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Eagle51 Win User

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

I always close all apps/programs before shutting down or rebooting and I haven't had any reopen. So out of curiosity, I left the photo app, mail app and file explorer open. Did both a normal reboot & shutdown, with those apps left open ... none of them reopened. Guess I'll consider myself lucky Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc :)

Note: This on the desktop listed in my specs. Also, I do have Super Fetch set to manual if that's of any interest (With Super Fetch set to automatic I get the Blue Screen with Please Wait before the lock screen, which I assume is normal)

Eagle51, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Apps reopening on start up after shutdown/restart

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. Please confirm if you already install the
    January 31st update (KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214)) and perform the steps provided
    by PaulSey....

You can also use command line to disable apps from auto reopening in Windows.

• Open Command Prompt and type command shutdown -t 0 -s to shut down.
    • If you want to restart use command shutdown -t 0 -r and hit Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Lemuel Cie, Feb 29, 2020
  4. LEOPEVA64 Win User

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this was just added to FCU with the cumulative update KB4058258 (build 16299.214):

Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc [​IMG]

I have to do more tests ...

Edit: Confirmed, in my PC with FCU (16299.214) the apps or programs open before rebooting (Chrome, word, excel etc) doesn't autostart if this toggle is disabled:

Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc [​IMG]

This only happens after installing this cumulative update, in the build 16299.192 that toggle had no effect in this so called "feature".

LEOPEVA64, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Reopen Apps after reboot/update etc - Similar Threads - Reopen Apps reboot

2. After the latest Windows 11 update my folders won't automatically reopen after a reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After the latest Windows 11 update my folders won't automatically reopen after a reboot: Hi,Ever since the latest update my folders don't reopen automatically after a restart. I have to open each of them again manually after each restart, although the "Restore previous folder windows at logon" box is ticked.. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?The two...
  3. After the latest Windows 11 update my folders won't automatically reopen after a reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After the latest Windows 11 update my folders won't automatically reopen after a reboot: Hi,Ever since the latest update my folders don't reopen automatically after a restart. I have to open each of them again manually after each restart, although the "Restore previous folder windows at logon" box is ticked.. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?The two...
  4. A way to reopen previously running programs after rebooting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A way to reopen previously running programs after rebooting: Hi, Is it possible to reopen programs I was running after shutting down my PC? I have some PDF files, Reference software (Mendeley) with multiple tabs open and also multiple file explorer paths (multiple browser tabs too, but this is easily retrievable). Would like to get...
  5. Reopen Applications on Reboot No Longer Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reopen Applications on Reboot No Longer Working: Up until about a week ago when rebooting while having applications still open would reopen those applications upon signing back in after a reboot. I've searched around and some sites report to toggle the setting within Privacy to "Automatically Finish Setting Up My Device...
  6. Windows 10 apps to not reopen after restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 apps to not reopen after restart: Hi, I am running the latest version of W10. I am on a ThinkPad W530 with 32GB of RAM. My privacy setting is set as per the screenshot below. I am unable to find an answer to this issue online. Please advise. Thanks! [ATTACH] --Sherman *** Email address is removed for...
  7. Reopening all Microsoft Edge windows and tabs after reboot

in Browsers and Email
    Reopening all Microsoft Edge windows and tabs after reboot: Microsoft Edge browser was reopening many windows and tabs over the past week whenever there was a reboot. On the last reboot it failed to open all of the windows and tabs. Control + shift + tab failed to open the web pages. What is the method to view the history and have it...
  8. Reopening all Microsoft Edge windows and tabs after reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Reopening all Microsoft Edge windows and tabs after reboot: Microsoft Edge browser was reopening many windows and tabs over the past week whenever there was a reboot. On the last reboot it failed to open all of the windows and tabs. Control + shift + tab failed to open the web pages. What is the method to view the history and have it...
  9. Edge unresponsive after reboot but responsive after reopen

in Browsers and Email
    Edge unresponsive after reboot but responsive after reopen: Hi, Im running windows 10 pro with the latest creators update. I didnt have any problems but suddenly and it was before updating to the latest version of windows my edge is unresponsive after rebooting my system. When I open edge after a reboot I can use the menus and...
  10. Apps reopen themselves after first login after patch Tuesday update

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps reopen themselves after first login after patch Tuesday update: Something odd just happened. After installing the latest set of patches today and rebooting. After I logged back in all of the previous programs I had open before the log off started back up automatically. Does anyone have any explanation for this behavior? I don't want this...