Windows 10: Reorder WiFi networks

Discus and support Reorder WiFi networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just got a Lenovo Yoga 14 with Win 10 preinstalled. I set up the WiFi for my home network and then added Xfinity WiFi hot spot so I can use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by edwar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. edwar Win User

Reorder WiFi networks

I just got a Lenovo Yoga 14 with Win 10 preinstalled. I set up the WiFi for my home network and then added Xfinity WiFi hot spot so I can use the computer on my jobsite (Construction site that doesn't have its own internet connection). A Xfinity hot spot is also available around my home and every time I restart this Win 10 notebook it connects to the Xfinity hot spot instead of my Home router. I have unchecked the Connect Auto check box for Xfinity but it still wants to connect to that hot spot first.

How do I reorder the list of WiFi connections so it goes to my home network first, If Available?

I've search Google and this forum and found nothing. Maybe my search terms are correct?

:)

edwar, Sep 6, 2015
  2. subssubs Win User

Network Connections - Advanced Settings - Adapters and Bindings - Connections:

First of all, you don't answer his question. He reorders the network and the reordering he sets doesn't 'stick' - it is not kept. Reopen the dialog box and you can see that the order is unchanged. This appears to be a bug.

Further... I'm afraid that neither way works to reorder networks. OP lists a way that Microsoft 'says' is the way to do it. You wrote back another way to do it- make the metric manual. Neither way works to reorder the networks.

After making changes, open cmd prompt, run "netstat -rn" - and as far as I can see, there is no change in metric, and no change in provider order. And when you open Task Manager, you can still see network traffic going over the 'wrong' connection that you
    tried to de-prioritize. So this is all a pretty big, annoying fail.

I'd love someone who posts this as an answer to actually try it themselves and run netstat -rn and see that it actually made a difference to the list of interface metrics.

Bah.

subssubs, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Mobile network over wifi as a preferred option for internet

Hi,

My situation is kinda special. I would like to use my Windows 10 tablet's wifi network for
    communication only (so no internet) with a small device called NI myRIO and my
    mobile network (3G or 4G) to access a MySQL database on the
    internet
    . The problem is that when there is a wifi connection Windows tries to use it for internet access which is a pity because myRIO does not provide internet access of course (even the connection type is limited... ).

So what I have tried to disable my mobile network as a metered connection but that does not help. After that I have tried to bridge connection 3G and wifi but that turned out it is not possible as far as I know. I even tried advanced network options to reorder
    wifi, ethernet, mobile to mobile, wifi, ethernet but sadly no effect on my problem.

So if you have any suggestion, please help. Thank you!

ErnőHorváthK, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reorder WiFi networks

Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  5. edwar Win User
    Thanks Brink. I had found that tutorial in a search but wasn't sure it would work in Win 10.

edwar, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Yep, luckily it's the same in Windows 10. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Reorder WiFi networks

1. Reorder WiFi networks - Similar Threads - Reorder WiFi networks

2. Sign-in options reordering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign-in options reordering: Hi,Windows sign-in options provided at the time of login OR when in a browser i.e. Google Chrome while entering passwords are Face recognition, password, PIN for me. There are two issues I am facing:1. I want the default to be face followed by PIN. I am ok if PIN is the...
  3. Sign-in options reordering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign-in options reordering: Hi,Windows sign-in options provided at the time of login OR when in a browser i.e. Google Chrome while entering passwords are Face recognition, password, PIN for me. There are two issues I am facing:1. I want the default to be face followed by PIN. I am ok if PIN is the...
  4. Wifi Networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Networks: I am running Windows 10 Home and connected to a LAN. I am trying to connect to a wifi network and connect to it, but I can't get any available networks to show up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-networks/662e3b3c-d499-43ea-b427-e01f22bae51f
  5. network and wifi

network and wifi: I am running windows 10 but I keep getting kick offline says connected no internet I have to disconnect and reconnect I have run troubleshooter and no help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-and-wifi/83bd70ab-dfb8-41e1-96a6-b2d46dc232f7
  6. wifi network

wifi network: I accidentally clicked "forget this network" on my surface go running windows 10. How do i find this network again? I have tried the Network reset with nil success. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network/ade5b356-5fcb-4ee8-9c9d-acb4b5f2fbfd
  7. Wifi network

Wifi network: I want to change my wifi network from public to private https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-network/1313733f-53c1-45d3-958b-7697f76e3ea8
  8. Reorder tabs

Reorder tabs: I used to be able to rearrange my tabs in Microsoft Edge, but now they will not move. Please advise on how to resolve this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reorder-tabs/792748bc-ee41-4a7a-96be-8a50e93930bc
  9. Possible to Reorder Icons in the Network Status from Tray?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Possible to Reorder Icons in the Network Status from Tray?: If I click the wifi icon or cellular icon in the tray, my options are listed as wifi, airplane mode, cellular, and mobile hotspot. Is there a way to rearrange these so they are in the order wifi, cellular, mobile hotspot, airplane mode? [img] 112447
  10. how to reorder disks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to reorder disks: In Disk Management I see that drive C (system) in on disk 3. How can I reorder disks so that C will be on disk 1? Is it by changing sockets on board? how? or thru the Bios? I have Gigabyte Z87 motherboard thank you 109421