Windows 10: Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

Discus and support Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have read a number of support articles on this site and elsewhere, and there appear to be options missing from my context menu when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BenjaminYeffeth, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

Hello,

I have read a number of support articles on this site and elsewhere, and there appear to be options missing from my context menu when I right-click on a virtual desktop in task view.

Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View c95c07ba-b822-4a0b-8a6f-ed01545e1688?upload=true.png

Compare to the image at this link, which has 5 total options in the visible context menu.

I am trying to reorganize/reorder virtual desktops. Clicking, holding and dragging has no effect, as though they are locked into place.

If anyone has any insight into why these options and features are missing, please respond here. Thank you.

:)

BenjaminYeffeth, Apr 15, 2021
  2. Adam Push Win User

Can't enter Task View from virtual "Desktop 1" on Windows 10

I have been enjoying Task View and multiple virtual desktops for some time now, but suddenly Task View has stopped working properly on my Desktop 1 virtual desktop. Neither the Taskbar button nor the keyboard shortcut (Win + Tab) work for activating Task
    View. However, I can Win + Arrow Key to switch to other virtual desktops. From any of the other virtual desktops, everything works normally. Furthermore, once I enter Task View from another virtual desktop, I can Win + Arrow Key to switch back to Desktop 1
    while remaining in Task View, which then shows open application windows from Desktop 1. However, once I exit Task View, the problem resumes and I can't re-enter Task View without again first switching to another virtual desktop. After I enter Task View from
    another virtual desktop, I can "delete" virtual Desktop 1 by clicking the "x," but then the next desktop in the list (i.e. 2) becomes the new "Desktop 1" and acquires the same problem as before where I can't enter Task View from Desktop 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: Alt + Tab works normally on all virtual desktops.

Adam Push, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Windows 10 task view assign applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing difficulty in assigning the applications to a specific virtual desktop. Let me help you in clearing your doubts.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is called “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Click Task view. When you open the Task View interface for the first time, or you only have one desktop, the “Add a desktop” button is available.

Step 2: Click it to add virtual desktop.

Step 3: Open the apps that you want to use on that desktop.

Step 4: Click Task view again to switch between desktops.

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related query and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

How to open app on another virtual desktop?

Hi Radim,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if virtual desktop or task view option is not enabled.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to enable virtual desktop on the computer.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is known as “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar. Clicking the “Task View” button brings up the Task View interface, where you can see your open windows on virtual desktops which you have added.

To enable task view option on the taskbar.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Click on Show task view button.

3. Then it will be available on the task bar next to the Search bar.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using virtual desktop, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View

1. Reordering Virtual Desktops on Task View - Similar Threads - Reordering Virtual Desktops

2. Disable/Uninstall Task View Virtual Desktop Feature

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable/Uninstall Task View Virtual Desktop Feature: I would like to disable Task View on the Taskbar AND render the hotkey combinaiton unusable. I have tried several registry edits that hide task view, however, the keystroke combination Windows Key + Control +D continue to function. Also, if there is a way to uninstall...
  3. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  4. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  5. Reorder and customize Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reorder and customize Virtual Desktops: According to this article virtual desktops under Win10 Build 21337 should allow customization of the virtual desktops, Now i am running Build 19044.1826 and i have no idea how to get the update but i sure as hell cannot alter anything to make them stand out. What can i do to...
  6. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View: Hi,I see a lot of users online get the option to change background for each virtual desktop inside task view.In my case, however, I don't get this option and wonder why? This seems to be a native feature now and according to windows update, I have the latest build.Can someone...
  7. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View: Hi,I see a lot of users online get the option to change background for each virtual desktop inside task view.In my case, however, I don't get this option and wonder why? This seems to be a native feature now and according to windows update, I have the latest build.Can someone...
  8. Can't change background on Virtual Desktop Task View

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Can't find virtual desktops or timeline in Task View

Can't find virtual desktops or timeline in Task View: Hi. I can't seem to be able to find the virtual desktops OR timeline on my Windows 10 PC, and I can't find any settings about them either. SOFTWARE INFO Edition Windows 10 Education Version 20H2 Installed on ‎8/‎31/‎2020 OS build 19042.746 Experience Windows Feature...
  10. Task View/Virtual Desktops.

Task View/Virtual Desktops.: Hi everyone. I've been using the Task View feature a lot on my PC, and I was wondering if I could make the two desktops different from each other? For example. Having a desktop or 2 for school/work, and one for Gaming. With different shortcuts on the desktop. Different...