Windows 10: Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?)

Discus and support Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Maybe this thread should be under "Backup & Restore" instead of "General Support". Since it isn't a specific problem but rather a general question,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tarponton, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Tarponton Win User

Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?)

Hi,
    Maybe this thread should be under "Backup & Restore" instead of "General Support". Since it isn't a specific problem but rather a general question, I have posted it here, OK.

I have found that the best way to get my computer back to working correctly when Win.10 goes haywire is to use a "Windows Image Backup". Restore points don't always work and a complete "System Reset" takes too much time to reinstall Apps and change settings, yes. Also I just do not know how to use a "Repair Disc", "Recovery Drive" or "Safe Mode" even though I know that they are important and have their uses.

Since Microsoft has new Win.10-1803 Builds coming fast & furiously, I have chosen to schedule a new Image Backup about a day or two after each new Build is installed. This gives me a little time to see if it is working properly.

I have noticed that when the Image is finished, we receive a pop-up asking whether we would like to create a "Repair Disc".

Through your forum at "https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/create-system-repair-disc-in-windows-10.8516/", I have learned that a system repair disc is the CD/DVD version of a USB recovery drive, yes. So basically, they do the same things, yes.

I have also noticed that Microsoft identifies their Operating Systems with a three category breakdown.
    For my present OS they are:

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1803
    Build: 17134.441

QUESTION 1: When is a new "Repair Disc" or "Recovery Drive" needed? For each new Build or only for each new Version?

QUESTION 2: How do the Disc vs Drive compare as to versatility and user friendliness?

QUESTION 3: What is the purpose of "Installation Media" and how does it differ from the above "Disc / Drive"?

P.S. Can you include some links as to the proper (when & how) to use a "Repair Disc" and "Installation Media"

Thank you for all your time to help me learn computing faster.

Yt,

:)

Tarponton, Nov 29, 2018

2. Recovery Drive versus System Repair Disc

In Windows 10 there are two different operating system recovery/repair programs:

• Using Control Panel | System and Security | Backup and Restore (Windows 7) you can create a System Repair Disc, typically on a DVD.
    • By searching for Recovery Drive you can create a recovery drive on a USB drive that typically requires ~6 GB.
    Is it important to make both of these, and when do you want one and when do you want the other?

Should each of these be updated for major operating system updates?

Mickey Segal, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Repair/Recovery Disc

Abdul,

Apologies for delay in response. Many thanks for your comments. In essence you've answered my question regarding whether the DVD provides repair functionality to an existing install but please read on.................

I've done as you have suggested but, under item 4, I do not see
    the "Automatic Repair" option 1?!

The options under "troubleshoot" are.........

1. System restore

2. System Image Recovery

3. Start-up repair

4. Command prompt and

5 Go back to previous build.

Only repair option is item 3. but I'm not having problems starting up. No options run.,

I've just installed latest update ; Cumulative Update for Windows 10 x64 Systems (KB3081424) and attempted to create a recovery disc via Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Recovery/Create a Recovery Drive.

As previously reported this (still) fails due to a problem occurring in creating the recovery drive. No indication given/available as to what this problem is/could be.

An ideas?? Please see my post "Cannot create a recovery drive in Windows 10" and if possible reply via this

majestic100, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?)

cannot create repair disc

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with creating system repair disc. I will certainly help you with the issue.

To understand the issue better, I would like to know please check if the CD/DVD drive is detecting in Device manager and check for yellow color exclamation mark next to it?

This issue could occur if the media is corrupted, hence you need to replace the media which you are using as some of the media may cause this type of issues while burning. Try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the
    issue.

Step 1.

In the search bar, type recdisc.exe and hit
    Enter.

Step 2.

• Now press Windows key + X and click
      Control Panel (All Items view), and click on the
      Backup and Restore
      icon.
    • Now click on the Create a System recovery disc link in the left blue pane.
    • Insert a blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive and click on the Create disc button.
    NOTE: If you are prompted to insert a Windows installation disc, it means that the files needed to create the system repair disc cannot be found on your
    computer. Insert a Windows 10 installation disc.

• It will now start creating the System Repair Disc
    NOTE: If any Auto Play window pops up, just close it.

• When it's finished, click on the Close button.
    • Click on OK.
    • Now remove the remove and label your new Windows 10 System Repair Disc from the CD/DVD drive.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Ankit Rajput, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?)

1. Repair Disc / Recovery Drive (how many needed?) - Similar Threads - Repair Disc Recovery

2. Win pro Recovery Disc Needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win pro Recovery Disc Needed: Had power surge/outage while updating my win 10 pro PC.....stuck in 'diagnosing ...' for last 24 hrs. Need to make recovery disk, but laptop isn't pro? Help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-pro-recovery-disc-needed/75c7baba-7511-45fa-ac26-e788574431f4
  3. Win pro Recovery Disc Needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win pro Recovery Disc Needed: Had power surge/outage while updating my win 10 pro PC.....stuck in 'diagnosing ...' for last 24 hrs. Need to make recovery disk, but laptop isn't pro? Help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-pro-recovery-disc-needed/75c7baba-7511-45fa-ac26-e788574431f4
  4. Win pro Recovery Disc Needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?: I had to reinstall Windows 10 Home 20H2. i.e. clean install using Installer media.Do I have to redo the creation of Recovery disc and Recovery drive and discard previous ones?...
  6. Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?

Should I redo Recovery disc or Recovery drive?: I had to reinstall Windows 10 Home 20H2. i.e. clean install using Installer media.Do I have to redo the creation of Recovery disc and Recovery drive and discard previous ones?...
  7. How many recovery partitions does this need

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How many recovery partitions does this need: Im low on diskstorage. Opened disk manager to find the expected recovery1 or2 but 3 recovery parts. each different size and none the standard 500mb that mircosoft claims. one is 900mb / partion2 1.34GB / and lastly a 12.47GB. which one safe to remove. can anyone indicate...
  8. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10): Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a...
  9. Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it ok to use a USB Recovery Drive instead of a System Repair disc?: Today I worked on a computer on which the owner wanted me to show her how to create a system image backup. Since I’m a Macrium Reflect person that’s what I recommended but she was adamant she wanted to use Backup and Restore ((Windows 7). After that a USB Recovery Drive was...
  10. How to make a DVD repair or recovery drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a DVD repair or recovery drive: Windows 10 only makes USB recovery drives. How do I make a DVD repair or recovery drive? 15061