Windows 10: Repair disk without rebooting

Discus and support Repair disk without rebooting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Berops, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Berops Win User

Repair disk without rebooting

Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose files, is it possible to repair the disk without rebooting? Please help :

:)

Berops, Feb 2, 2023
  2. a1phabeta Win User

Disk repair after hard reboot

I run Windows 10 Insider Preview, and before today I've had absolutely no problem with it up till now.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with 16gb of RAM, 1TB HDD, and an AMD APU

I went to a cafe which was a 20 minute walk, and I had my computer in sleep mode. When I got to the cafe, I woke it up and it was very unresponsive, so I tried a hard reboot. It hanged on the HP loading windows screen for 10 minutes, so I decided to hard reboot it again. On the third reboot, it went into automatic repair, and started to "repair disk errors". It's been doing this for 11 hours now. I'm typing this on my iPad, but all of my important business documents are saved on my laptop and I need them

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

a1phabeta, Feb 2, 2023
  3. Hennes Win User
    Disk repair after hard reboot

Setting aside the obvious cheap shot of "restore the important data from backups"....

Get hold of an USB pendrive, or a CD or DVD which you can boot from. Then boot that rather than the failed windows installation. Use it to make a copy of all documents you want to rescue. Then either:

1. Try some sort of repair. First step is to find out what is wrong (hint: try to read the evenviewer logs while booted of that other medium. Depending on what is wrong you will want to try different methods of solving it.)
    2. Or power off the laptop. Power it back up. In my win8.1/10 experience 11+ hours of repair loop never worked. But after powering it completely down a repair may suddenly work. No idea as to what or how. Just experience. I really wish I knew why.
    3. Or reinstall a clean windows (and restore data from backup or from the recently made backup.)

If you find it hard to make a backup of the data and you did not encrypt your disk then you could also mount it in another desktop, an external eSATA or external USB case. That way rescuing the documents should be easy.

Hennes, Feb 2, 2023
  4. Repair disk without rebooting

What should I have as backup-a RECOVERY disk or a REPAIR disk? Are these the same or different?

Got the free upgrade to Windows 10 and I need to start making some kind of a Repair/Recovery disk.

Are these the same thing? Are they different?

Can someone list the steps needed to make this/ these disk (s)?

Thank you.

Barbara

BarbaraLarnce, Feb 2, 2023
Thema:

Repair disk without rebooting

1. Repair disk without rebooting - Similar Threads - Repair disk without

2. Repair disk without rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair disk without rebooting: Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose files, is it possible to repair the disk without rebooting? Please help :...
  3. Repair disk without rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair disk without rebooting: Apparently my Windows security sent me a notification saying I need to restart my PC to repair disk errors, I am afraid this may cause me to lose files, is it possible to repair the disk without rebooting? Please help :...
  4. Disk repair after reboot 300h+ estimated for now (still increasing)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk repair after reboot 300h+ estimated for now (still increasing): Hello, This morning I wanted to reboot my laptop, but it got stuck on MSI homescreen, I restarted with the power button, then it told me to analyse D drive But it's taking very LONNNNNG time, I keep seeing the estimated increasing while the progress continue 3972 on 278016...
  5. Boot, reboot possible only by CD ROM repair disk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot, reboot possible only by CD ROM repair disk.: C drive was moved to Disk 1 during MS assisted reinstall of W10 Pro 64 bit. Now corrupted? No restart. Move back to 0 drive? 0 drive is SSD and where I would like my boot file and such. When MS guided me through repair/custom install by first making a USB/HDD repair drive I...
  6. Repair disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair disk: Im trying to reboot my windows 10 and have made a copy og my file history and a repair disk, but im not sure what or how i am supposed to use either of them. I currently cannot access windows but i do have access to my linux os. Can someone help me with these issues?...
  7. Disk Repair stops at 35% and then reboots and starts over

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Repair stops at 35% and then reboots and starts over: When I reboot my computer, does a disk check (which I can skip by pressing any key--other than Spacebar, apparently) and then starts repairing drive errors. The problem is that it slowly gets to 35% and then reboots my PC and starts over. I've been dealing with this by...
  8. Repairing disk errors without an operating system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Repairing disk errors without an operating system: I have no operating system because I have completely erased my hard disk. I would like now to check the hard disk for errors. Is there bootable software that can check for errors and repair them? Any help would be appreciated. 129929
  9. repair disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    repair disk: I have received this message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may it be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure the disk is unlocked". How can I resolve this problem. Tank you...
  10. Win10 1607 System Repair Disk Boots Without Keyboard/Mouse

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win10 1607 System Repair Disk Boots Without Keyboard/Mouse: I created a working repair disk in Windows 10 Pro 1511 back in December, that worked then. Just tested it again and it still works. I take regular images, so I like to boot into recovery once in a while to ensure my images are accessible. So to ensure that I am current, I...