Windows 10: Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Discus and support Repair Install (in place upgrade) question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre installed so I plan to keep the Factory Image permanently installed and try that method for a change.
    The question I have relates to a Repair Install (in place upgrade) which is normally a handy tool to be able to use if a PC develops issues. Lets say for example when my Dell OEM laptop arrives it has version 2004 installed. Would a repair install still be an option in the future even though Windows 10 on the system came preinstalled with the factory image?
    If I used 2004 installation media created with the Media Creation Tool would a repair install work on an OEM factory image installation?

:)

sportsfan148, Nov 15, 2020

2. Cannot install any apps from windows store

I can't think of anything else.

lx07 already suggested a Repair install, that's all I can think of

Read through the tutorial and ask any questions
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

I suggest
    Step 4 : To do a repair install of Windows 10 with an ISO file
    -- OR --
    Step 5 : To do a repair install of Windows 10 with USB installation media

Another member might suggest something else - you can read while you wait *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade  

Hello dlfetters48, and welcome to Ten Forums. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question :)

Yes, you can use a Windows 10 DVD as well. When you open the DVD, you would just pick up at step 4C.

A repair install is used to repair your current installation by basically doing an in-place upgrade using the same build so you don't lose anything during the process.

Brink, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

In-Place Repair Question

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, In order to assist you in a better way please answer the below questions.

1. Are you referring to Repair in-place upgrade?

2. Are you concerned about Reset?

If you perform Repair in-place upgrade, you will loss all the applications which been installed or programs and some setting might change but you will still have the documents.

If is a good idea to take back up in an external drive before performing Repair in-place upgrade or reset.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

1. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question - Similar Threads - Repair Install place

2. In-place upgrade question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-place upgrade question: I'm currently on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm getting the upgrade to Windows 11 "bums rush" from Windows Update. If I upgrade, will it be Windows 11 Pro or will I be stuck with the less-than-desirable limiting Windows 11 Home version?...
  3. In-place upgrade question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-place upgrade question: I'm currently on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm getting the upgrade to Windows 11 "bums rush" from Windows Update. If I upgrade, will it be Windows 11 Pro or will I be stuck with the less-than-desirable limiting Windows 11 Home version?...
  4. Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally: I am confused... After problems with the 2021-06 cumulative update for x64 machines, I had to uninstall the latest quality update. Now having different problems (no sound devices detected), I wanted to try an in-place/repair install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I...
  5. Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question

Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question: If I was to download the current version of the Media Creation Tool as of today from the Microsoft website and create USB installation media. Can I use it to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 20H2, put it on one side and if I have any future issues, can I also use...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. In place upgrade question

In place upgrade question: Hi, Ive never used the in place upgrade method before but it is something Im considering in the future. When updating a build Ive always used Windows Update, I updated from 1809 to 1903 and then on to 1909 that way. Alternatively, If Im understanding correctly you can upgrade...
  8. Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Effects of a repair install in-place upgrade: Will a repair installor inplace upgrade remove any of my software? I have photoshop on my computer and have lost the cd, so Id rater not have it removed. Do you think this will happen?...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  10. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: How to: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use reset Windows. Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling...