Windows 10: Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question

Discus and support Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I was to download the current version of the Media Creation Tool as of today from the Microsoft website and create USB installation media. Can I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question

If I was to download the current version of the Media Creation Tool as of today from the Microsoft website and create USB installation media. Can I use it to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 20H2, put it on one side and if I have any future issues, can I also use this same installation media to perform a repair install keeping everything (all installed programmes and personal files)?
    I have read about the repair install problem that exists with 20H2 so Im wondering if that issue is still there with a clean installation?...would I need to redownload 20H2 again later if I need to do a repair install of 20H2 at some point in the future. If so I may as well wait for the Media Creation Tool to be upgraded after the issue is fixed

:)

sportsfan148, Dec 7, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Cannot install any apps from windows store

I can't think of anything else.

lx07 already suggested a Repair install, that's all I can think of

Read through the tutorial and ask any questions
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

I suggest
    Step 4 : To do a repair install of Windows 10 with an ISO file
    -- OR --
    Step 5 : To do a repair install of Windows 10 with USB installation media

Another member might suggest something else - you can read while you wait *Wink

Bill

Slartybart, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Thanks pal for the feedback. Thats great to know that a repair install (in place upgrade) will work exactly the same on a Dell OEM Windows 10 installation (Factory Image) as it does on a Windows 10 Clean Installation that is done using a USB flash drive created with the Media Creation Tool.
    I dont know yet but I suspect the laptop will arrive with 2004 installed. Reading your links regarding 20H2 I think I'll be leaving it a couple of months before upgrading to that version anyway. Do you think Microsoft will be updating and fixing the issue with the current 20H2 Media Creation Tool at some point so that it can be downloaded directly to a flash drive from the Microsoft website so that it works correctly without having to perform registry edits etc to workaround the repair/upgrade issue?

sportsfan148, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question

1. Repair Install/upgrade 20H2 question - Similar Threads - Repair Install upgrade

2. Installation/Upgrade Question?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation/Upgrade Question?: I am in the process of buying a new 1TB m-2 NVMe SSD to replace my present 120GB SSD. Which of the options in the Installation tutorials in the forum above would be the simplest one for me install considering I am a 71yr old pensioner and although I have built three of my own...
  3. update 20H2 question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    update 20H2 question: I'm running Windows 10 build 1909 and that is running good. Do I REALLY need to update to build 20H2?? I've looked around about 20H2 and can't find a reason that suggests I have to update. Thanks for the help 172234
  4. Repair Install (in place upgrade) question

Repair Install (in place upgrade) question: Ive got a new Dell laptop arriving later in the week. I normally clean install and blow away the partitions using a Media Creation Tool created flash drive which gets rid of bloatware as well. Im doing things differently this time though. It has a some useful software pre...
  5. Using Repair Upgrade / Repair Install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using Repair Upgrade / Repair Install: Hi, I've been using my computer for over 4 years with the same OS installed (windows 10). Meanwhile i've installed many apps including those driver updaters, pc cleanup apps, anti virus and so on. So at this time I believe it would be good to clean up the windows 10 and...
  6. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...
  7. Repair question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair question: Hello all. Im needing help fixing whatever is wrong with my laptop. it started out just not allowing me to save pictures. Then i tried to reset it and it gives me error code 0x000012f. so i opened my command prompt as an administrator and run sfc /scannow. then it came back...
  8. Repair/Install question

Repair/Install question: I need to do a repair/install on one of my laptops. I have a question about the instructions in this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials The problem computer is running Windows 10 Home, Build 1803. I can't do very much of anything with it...
  9. Repair/Install question

in Windows 10 Support
    Repair/Install question: I need to do a repair/install on one of my laptops. I have a question about the instructions in this tutorial: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials The problem computer is running Windows 10 Home, Build 1803. I can't do very much of anything with it...
  10. Repair Install Question

Repair Install Question: I have used Windows 7 repair install on a couple of systems with less than satisfactory results. I currently have an issue with Windows 10 "Task Scheduler" and am considering a repair install. Anyone have any experience with Windows 10 on this issue? 26089